🖼 Reply to “Pictures and nothing else” thread_2020_summer

I was having issues with loose enclosure bolts until I put some rubber washers under the fender washers. No issues since.

2 Likes

Only two of them.

5 Likes

Will do that too, thanks

3 Likes

both enclosures are 3d printed right ? are the tops/bottoms also 3d printed ?

Throw the whole pack out.

4 Likes

Yep middle and top are 3D printed and bottom is 5mm think aluminium. There is no way you could have the bottom section 3D printed, you need to be able to bolt it right down to secure it to the deck. Check out my build thread, I have all the design files available for download too!

1 Like

if only you knew :smirk: I already downloaded it hehe

1 Like

Because of a difference of 0,05V?

3 Likes

What happened here? :exploding_head::fire:

14 Likes

Close call. Hate seeing these pics.

11 Likes

Haven’t investigated inside the Spintend Vesc so can’t tell exactly. My guess from the smell, the smoke and just how it felt is a capacitor problem (have seen it and smelled it before).
Yesterday I finished the build and tested it around the house for a bit, everything seemed okay with some weird sounds from the mechanical side thought nothing major. Board was rolling fine. One thing me and @Komamtb noticed that after stopping sometimes one wheel was really hard to turn by hand. It felt that the motor is stopping it and there was a sound of the motor working.
So today was the plan to look into all the problems and just complete everything that I can. The board was fully assembled when I turned it on just to see if everything is fine. Got my remote and gave some throttle when I noticed something is not right. Motors were acting weird, looked like they were trying to spin, but something was stopping them. Let the throttle down, pushed some again and then out of nowhere inside the enclosure started hearing terrible noises and smoke was starting to come thought the charging port. Grabbed it and ran outside. Took off the enclose as fast as possible and saw what you can see in the first picture (took that photo at that moment).
This is my first build and been building it for the past half a year and was excited to finally complete it (of course you can’t complete DYI esk8 :joy: but at least make it usable).
Additionally, BMS burnt as well, thought everything else looks fine, battery is in good condition.

10 Likes

Yeah this exact same thing happened to me. Not sure what caused it, but the build worked fine when I replaced the spinted with a stormcore 100D. I no longer plan on ever using the spinted, especially when we have the stormcore 100D available. The spintend worked fine for about 1 week. This happens to me while I was doing 30mph going up a hill, locked up my motors and slammed me into the ground. I am firm believer that controller are not where we should be looking to save a buck on in this hobby.

Good on spintend for replacing the unit. Their customer service is really good, but I think the designs needs a bit more work.

13 Likes

meanwhile I’m over here riding a Flipsky Dual FSESC6.6 taking notes and questioning life decisions…

Glad you are safe. ESC’s scare me! Maybe I should upgrade now that we have choices…

4 Likes

Yeah I blew a few Fresca 6.6 but it was on the bench thankfully

1 Like

@Arzamenable
:sweat_smile:
My humerus looked like that once, still a lil bent to this day.
This vid came up on my YouTube feed a couple days after it happened… (nsfw!)

:rofl:
Got a good laugh all hopped up on meds and felt I had a brother in (broken) arms somewhere out there.

(I need to learn how to properly quote posts from the picture thread here…)

1 Like

Going to contact them then, thanks for the notice.

Budget is limited, purchased it when it was on sale.

If anyone sees 12s+ dual Vescs on sale tag me, sadly need one asap.

If this was top mount, this would literally be my dream board ATM… is it ok to ask about your budget for this?

@Redeye

1 Like

Perhaps current Spintend owners should consider replacing their caps? Can anyone confirm what kind of caps they are? This is a builders nightmare. Hope you get a new vesc asap @papryka, sorry that happened to you, and @Skyart. His builds are legit, so I think there’s little doubt at this point there is a fault on the esc. Not all of them, of course.

3 Likes

got somewhere i can read about this? seems interesting :eyes:

e: nvm, i found it here

4 Likes