rideNEO flexible battery pcb

That’s what I thought. Thought maybe he might pop up unexpectedly.
Is bombing other sellers’ sale threads with ur stuff fine when they roll?

7 Likes

Yes. Consider any NEO thread open game now.

11 Likes

a2xcpny9uych

10 Likes

Neo got me further along with motivation to finish this pcb and get them made. It seems done other than should’ve added fillets to the edges and corners. A dumb mistake but other than that it’s a done design and got 20 boards made and they work well and will sell them at 20$ with the plug and 10$ more for nickel. So about half of what neo was selling for and these have much more copper and nickel.

8 Likes

Curious- what are you using for insulation between the cells & PCB?

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

2 Likes

I glue the cells to the pcb. I’m open to suggestions but at this point ideal is cells glued to pcb and cells velcroed to bottom of the box like this:

And kapton on each cell and the top

1 Like

Hot glue? Silicone sealant?

1 Like

At minimum I would suggest a layer of fishpaper (or PETG sheet) under any area where you have positive terminals as the soldermask isn’t sufficient and can short on the cell cans through wear from vibration. I don’t consider soldermask a proper insulator against cells alone.

I have used fishpaper + heavy duty adhesive neutral cure silicone, but I also reinforce/strap with Kapton & heatshrink so that the silicone & nickel aren’t the only things physically supporting the cells.

2 Likes

I use silicone. I feel this battery built w the pcb, at least this design, there’s a lot less stress on the nickel when the cells are being help n not the pcb.
And don’t know if u saw I did a conductivity/resistance test with the cells welded vs just taped w conductive paste under and just tape shows a bit better. Only 3 welded on everything but still. I’ll see the just-tape battery’s ohms after a lot of use and see

Still welded to the cell though. Tempted to try just tape there too. At least with these iron cells I can’t blow up. Or have magnets for holding to the cell too

You can experiment for yourself but no one would buy that.

2 Likes

Totally agree with this right here. It’s a drawback of any PCB based design, but often times we have packs being built without any frame with P-groups being held together with nickel, tape, & hope.

I’ve been using a combination of liberal silicone for dampening/adhesion of cells to the PCB (insulating the positive copper pours that run under cells) + strapping with kapton + heatshrink. So far so good, and this is similar to how Ernesto is building his production batteries in the Kaly 2,0 as well.

2 Likes

Think what most people completly ignore is that most cells, when put to the test, generate an significant amount of heat. Having them spaced is generally not a bad idea. Did some FLIR monitoring on a big cake of batteries(7S15P), with spacers and the heat developement towards the middle was just ridiculous. Pack was designed to deliver upwards of 2kW of contineuos power so losses really started to add up.

Now put that into no airflow enclosure with the cells glued together. Puts things into perspective.

3 Likes

Wait what the hell did I write. I mean if the cells are held and the pcb just floats glued to the cells I bet that is really durable. But this battery can be really fragile and I bet easily damaged if just squished in a box or held by the pcb. I think it has to be held by the cells.

2 Likes

What ever happened to this company?

1 Like

The guy tried stealing a fuck ton of money from the community and we banished him from the lands with shame and PayPal disputes

6 Likes

And he was probably Jason Potter.

2 Likes

from the info i gathered, he isn’t. JP doesn’t have the technical knowledge require to make motors anyway, or he would have re-use the rapter hub and pass it on as new shit :joy:

3 Likes

There is always a chance

they have never been seen in the same room I can say that

3 Likes

that’s true. the possibility isn’t entirely 0

2 Likes