Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

Yeah especially because in this circumstance it’s a very specialized position, and at a small company, you want them to be able to do some other tasks as well. Not really making excuses here just trying to help yall understand

I appreciate your reply, and you giving your opinion. Thank you. As far as my questions, it’s all sort of moot now. They reached out to me on facebook about my posts here. I wish them nothing but success, and I’ll likely end up ordering another XR battery in the spring.

1 Like

Just make sure your range test does not involve squeezing every last inch out of the battery. That’s how you destroy the capacity of a lithium battery. When the remote vibrates it means you have dropped below critical voltage and you should stop. Continuing past one vibration allert is forgivable as long as you don’t do any hard accelleration. Continuing past two vibration alerts is a crime against your battery.

Esk8 support is tough. There are alot of novice buyers who can burry a company in dozens of questions before and after they purchase. Novice customers can also percieve problems with the product that are actually user error – and it can take dozens of exchanges to figure out that there actually is no problem.

So its not hard for a small number of inexperienced shoppers and customers to flood the request queue – making it hard for everyone else to get a response.

Will definitely do a tutorial video, as soon has I see a performance decrease I’ll go more in detail over the whole process and the logic behind it.
Lubricant used for cleaning.
The best would be opening the direct drive cans an adding fresh bearing grease, but I can’t seem to find the right Allen key Impérial or Metric to get them out So I’ve never done it.

You probably know that if you do find the right allen wrench, you will need to heat it to melt the red loctite.

So you need two keys. A sacrificial wrench to heat with a torch. A second wrench that never gets heated.

I’m not saying it’s a good idea to disassemble. Your spray and wash technique seems pretty low risk.

Some anker batteries have trickle-charge. You hold the charging button for a while, then one light turns orange. It’s made for exactly these small devices and never had issues with it.

I just tried charging a bunch of other stuff with the same cable and port, and everything charges except the revel remote :thinking:

2 Likes

I had a random idea: I got a usb-c to usb-a adapter and tried charging the remote through the PD / usb-c port and it works. Guess it just doesn’t like the usb-a port of my anker

Yeah and im going to make a video thats alot shorter but better explaining my thoughts on them making a higher capacity battery because with this one size fits all design vast majority of boards especially boards that doesnt have a micro drop mounting setup on them the kit sits pretty much flush on the deck and with the little over 2 inches of space the battery pack has from the ground they can surely come up with a pack that is just a few cm deeper and utilized the massive amount of right to left side space clearance that the battery pack has to be able to do a 10s2p 40t config like its not impossible or to risky to try and do. Just gotta work with the current space we have available without making it so big that we would need a double kingpin middle bracket to raise the enclosure further away from the ground and cost a rider stability. And most people should know that since the enclosure sits kinda close to the ground you shouldnt be riding over anything that you obviously know is going to hit and scratch the battery enclosure like: warped pavement or sidewalks, big rocks, big pot holes etc pretty much the usual shit all people should know to avoid so if a individual for instance does have that new “extended range” battery and they choose to ride somewhere where they can clearly see its debris or messed up terrain that they know for sure might tag the enclosure a little bit then its the riders fault and not Revels.

Whoa really haha I didn’t even know this and I have two anker batteries. They are a bit older tho so maybe they don’t

So if you want to make a video that makes sense, you should understand that different boards serve different needs. Meepo has a larger battery because it is bolted directly to the board. But you can’t swap batteries which means you need to charge in the middle of your ride. Revel Kit Batteries are smaller but swappable so every rider can pick the range they need.

Onan and Mellow board have large swapable batteries but they hit the pavement over small bumps.

Revel Kit has DIrect Drive which gives far superior ride and durability compared to hub motors.

Revel Kit accelleration is soft at the start. This is special programming for safety and better battery life. The soft launch is not due to battery size. Its programming with a purpose. Riders don’t hurt themselves if they make a sudden thumb movement with the remote. Other products launch harder but its much easier for riders to fall off the back of the deck if they fumble the remote.

The Revel Kit braking algorythm might be the best in the industry. Many Revel Kit riders feel this way.

The Revel Kit is modular. 2WD for lighter riders who want good performance. 4WD for heavy riders and riders who want close to top tier performance.

Your last video was very one-dimensional. You said that you thought the battery was too small and you said that many times. If you want to do a good comparision or opinion video, you should talk about many dimensions and tradeoffs. You should also plan out your script so that you don’t cover the same subject many times:

For example:
Range
Travel Battery vs XR battery
Fixed Battery vs Swappable
Cost per WH for extra batteries/replacement batteries
Acceleration
Braking
Flexible deck choice vs No choice
Flexible Wheel Choice vs No Choice
Ride Quality
Remote Control Form and function
2WD vs 4WD
Speed 1 vs 2 vs 3 vs 4

Don’t underestimate the complexity of designing an electric skateboard. The Revel kit had five previous versions with hub motors and about 6 more rounds of improvements with direct drive motors.

To say that the Revel Kit would be better with a larger battery ignores many things including potential problems with extra weight, thickness and length. A larger battery could actually result in a very unreliable product because the extra weight coudl cause alot of other components to break.

Finally, make sure that you are using the product properly before you review it. Riding 100% in Speed 4 is not the way experienced riders ride. If you ride like that you will fall far short of the advertised range of any product.

Riding past vibration alerts is another type of improper use that can damage the battery.

Are you saying that there’s no way to fit 40T cells into the current enclosure? have you opened it up to check the space inside?

I am glad to announce that my video of a single motor spinning was caused by nothing but grime and dirt.

I cleaned out the wheels, motors, swapped in brand new bearings, put speed cream on them, and all is well.

Torque is back to normal and both motors spin at about the same rate :slight_smile:

5 Likes

No im not saying theres no way to fit 40Ts im saying its possible if we change the battery enclosure slighty to be able to fit the bigger cells.

So, I’m interested in your comparison of the Meepo NLS and the Revel Kit. Did you do a range test on the Meepo NLS with yourself driving? or are you basing your comparison on the advertised range of the Meepo?

you replaced the wheel bearings right? not the Motor bearings?

So you fixed the problem with only one wheel rotating with a really throrough clean, swap and lubrication of the bearings. Cool.

Did you use the @SpeedyFrenchy motor cleaning technique? What was your cleaning fluid.

Yeah, we get that, but that’s at manufacturer level - some of us are trying to hack this into 40T cells in the current enclosure…

Correct.

Yes, but not as severe. He mentioned going through 100ml of lubricant, I only used drops.

I used isopropyl alcohol for the outer layer of dirt, bones speed cream for getting into the motor bearings.

I suspect the reason @SpeedyFrenchy went through so much liquid is because he did not take his time to thoroughly clean the other layer first. But that is of course speculation.

I used a plastic pick with a fine point to scrape around the edges of the bearing, angled outwards so dirt would go out, not further in. I then gently used cotton swabs with isopropyl alcohol to absorb the dirt. Repeated that process until swabs came out clean (on both sides of the motors)

I then used bones speed cream with a few drops on each side, ran the motors and cleaned up any dripping with paper towels. Repeated about three times.

1 Like

In case anytime has any questions regarding the durability of the Revel kits…just completed a 100+ mile ride on a 4WD kit with 2000 miles already on the odometer.

It performed flawlessly as did the 2 extra sets of XT batteries I brought with me.

6 Likes

So you got 172km with 6 XT batteries w/ a 4wd setup? That’s crazy! I’m guessing you stopped to charge up along the way?