Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

Make sure the wheel adapter is very tight. Mine was making not an unsimilar noise and it was because the adapter was loose. It kept becoming loose until I added an additional spacer.

1 Like

The exact reason I got the Revel kit. I can do easy deck swaps, wheel changes and just buy extra batteries if and when I want more range. And I donā€™t have to worry about belts. For the most bang for buck I got myself a Meepo V3 ER.

1 Like

So if you have ordered a second Kit you should contact them ASAP to see if they can send you a replacement battery in the same shipment. Shipping cost of single batteries is very expensive so asking for the replacement now might save money for everyone and get you your replacement faster. I recommend that you send them a very short 30 second (not minutes :wink:) video that illustrates that the batery is not functioning or not taking a charge.

So I wrote a massive response to your video and in that massive response its easy to overlook one item or another.

So I wanted to repeat that most riders who go on long group rides learn to operate in a lower speed mode for most of the journey and to shift into speed 4 only for the sprints. This technique is applicable across all brands from boosted boards to Evolves, to entry level chinese econo boards.

The top speed mode provides maximum acceleration response so every time you wiggle the remote, you are throwing away range. If you ride at a constant 20 kph for 15 minutes on Speed 4, you will consume much more battery capacity than if you travel the same speed for 15 minutes on Speed 3.

This simple technique can help you to get alot more enjoyment out of your purchase.

1 Like

I was thinking about this yesterday on my ride after you posted it. Some rides for me iā€™d way rather just blast it and consume as much power as i can get and go for pure performance. But for a lot of other rides speed 3 would be enough and would lessen my range anxiety i have for those last couple miles, especially climbing hills to get back home. Definitely a good thought to consider the economy of it.

I always thought , ā€œoh, i want full control and full options available to me.ā€ but it makes sense to balance with a limiter such as speed modes to aid you in achieving how and where you want to ride that day.

2 Likes

You are correct, the Revel Kit 2WD XR and the Meepo NLS PRO are similarly priced. I thought the meepo was much more. I was incorrect.

@pkasanda
Sorry I didnā€™t mention but yes I do start with a fine lubricant similar to chain grease because it gets the small particules out quicker, then after about 15min of drying I add about 10 drops of speed cream over 5 minutes to get everything going smoothly.
Iā€™ve notice that when testing the motors before the lubrification I hit a 54kph/33mph and the wheels would spin for about 45seconds once off the throttle and after the whole cleaning and lubrications process I get 60kph/37mph and the wheels spin for about 75seconds once off throttle and strangely I have one motor than spins for 90seconds or more most likely the best maintained motor, of course thatā€™s when the board is unloaded and upside down.

This is really interesting. Can you provide more detail on the specific light lubricant that you use for cleaning. Also, Nex time you run through the process, it would be cool if you could make a little instructional video.

Iā€™ve never seen your technique from anyone else. It seems really smart and sounds effective.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions on the noise my friendā€™s kit was making. He found some loose screws on one of the adapters! I sent him all of the advice you guys have given regarding lubrication, and blue loctite on the adapter fasteners. Weā€™re all set! Below is a pic of our boards on a recent ride. Both went with Ehlers blanks from skateshred.

Also, he is still waiting on a reply from Revel customer care. Gotta say, as much as I love their product, their response time via email, and communication during the ordering process is a MASSIVE turnoff. Iā€™m holding off on buying another XR battery for now as Iā€™m a little gun-shy about giving them my money.

1 Like

I mean you have to give them a little slack, the amount of people running the US operation is quite small. Hard to keep up with the hundreds of CS messages. Lots of things in works

1 Like

Try the live chat on the website during weekday business hours. They reply pretty much instantly or within the hour.

1 Like

Sorry, not a lot of sympathy here. If theyā€™re either a. going gangbusters and canā€™t keep up with the demand, or b. are overrun with customer service inquiries because of issues, the answer in both cases is to hire the appropriate amount of people to scale with the growth of their business. Waiting a week between replies via email, or in my case never replying at all is (in my opinion) unacceptable after someone drops $800 on one of your products. I shouldnā€™t have to stalk them in order to get a reply to my question. Theyā€™ve been at this for over a year at least and should have a handle on this sort of thing.

I tried the live chat on the website to ask some general questions about buying an XR battery a while back, never got a reply. Same via email.

ai still gotta do another range test on my XR to really make sure its a possible nickle strip issue thats cutting my range because when i got my 1st original ST battery pack i did tons of test in speed mode 4 because personally i like having good acceleration on hand to get through traffic and lights and dont ride in speed 3 or 2 cause of the slower start up but when i do my range test i do it on a set path on cruising in sp 4. And with the original ST pack i would barely get to 6miles which wasnt okay at all. But after i sent it back they did find that it was indeed a nickle strip issue and sent me a whole new pack with the same test same cruising speed got well within the range group revel claimed for ST pack. This is with hills,inclines and flats because my area that i live in is a primarily hilly area but i was still 100% certain i can get the range they came on 2wd which i did with no issues for ST. I personally feel like doing a range test on a lower speed mode gives a unfair advantage to the company because of course if you ride in a lower speed mode you get more range and i feel like if a company claims a certain range for a battery pack then in the highest speed mode cruising it should reliably hit well within the range estimate with no issues and then of course completely exceed range estimates in lower speed modes. With that thought process in mind it hasnt let me down or proved my range test wrong even if with me riding in the highest speed mode its consuming more energy to achieve a range that a lower speed mode can easily do or surpass without taking nearly as much resources. And thanks to me doing that if i wouldve like you recommend just ride in sp 2 or 3 to conserve a bit more energy to have more range i wouldve maybe gotten within or just barely within the range estimate for my original ST pack still have that same nickle strip issue that i didnt know about until the battery would have completely went up me. But me after getting use to riding the revel kit and staying in sp 4 but noticing that range just wasnt what it should have been saved me from continuing to ride a faulty battery that i otherwise wouldnt have known or even had a idea that the battery was even damaged from the beginning. Still in saying that im not saying ur wrong about riding in lower speed modes to save battery and squeeze as much range as possible out of a battery pack but i do have my own personal reasons for why i choose to ride how i ride.

dont know how to edit a message on this forum lol but i get 8 to 8.5 miles with my fixed ST battery pack in comparison to the 3 - 5.8 i use to get on my original St battery pack with my range usually being 4 miles and then im at 10% and getting voltage sag. But i can reliably and consistently get 8 miles plus from the fixed ST battery pack they sent back to me after we found the issue.

Riding in sp 3 or 2 will more then likely be way for viable for me once my 2nd kit finally comes and i setup my board for 4wd but currently sp 4 is more of a comfortable speed mode for me and sp 3 on occasion.

Iā€™m sorry your experience hasnā€™t been up to par. This summer has been incredibly busy for Revel, and sometimes putting in the work to find another representative isnā€™t as easy as you would think.

I have faith that it will get better in time. If youā€™ve never seen the inner workings of a small business or tried to run one, you just wouldnā€™t understand how tough it can be handling a sudden massive increase in volume along with other business changes / improvements.

What exactly is the question that you never got answered anyway?

1 Like

Iā€™ve had nothing but good experiences with them, COVID season got all business replying hella slow plus patience is hard to come by these days.

1 Like

^^ this. As a business owner myself, I can say trying to find people in lower tier customer support jobs is almost impossible atm. They get double pay from the government to stay home.

1 Like

I just asked about the cloudwheel adapters through live chat not too long after my comment and they responded within 30 mins

1 Like