Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

Also it seems like you wrapped your motors. Does that ever cause any heat issue? I have some automotive vinyl wrap on mine and so far haven’t seen the motors overheat. I can usually still touch it after long rides without it burning me.

Can you repost your video as an MP3. Tthe video is blank and sound only when I watch it. It might be a Mac/PC Missing Codec.

@pkasanda
I’ve uploaded it from an Iphone that might be the issue.
i was able to convert it to MP4, let me know if that works.
Sorry about the background noise…

2 Likes

I think Speedy has given you the right advice for the most likely cause of your slow down. A fresh lubrication on bearings that have been neglected for just a week or two can add 3 - 4 kph to top speed. If you have neglected your bearings and they are bone dry then I imagine it could be trimming 10 km or more off your top speed. That could also generate enough heat to trigger the thermostat and the ESC to cut back power. On these last two points I am speculating. My own bearings have never been so poorly lubricated and My Revel Kits were from production runs that were without thermostat wires.

So start with the lubrication and repeat weekly.

I do have a few questions:

1. your top speed when your revel kit was brand new
  2. Number of months you have been riding it
  3. How many times you lubricated the bearings during that period
  4. Did you lubricate inner and outer wheel bearings and inner and outer motor bearings
  5. Which lubricant did you use
  6. Local peak daily temperature where you ride
  7. Have you encountered many wet roads
  8. Did you lubricate immediately afterwards.
1 Like

I sent you a PM

So I just had to share this with the original Landwheel L3-x membership:

Its an Extended range Landwheel battery. I have a friend Grant in town who builds batteries. I gave him a few of the Vescs that I bought and never used. He is putting together three batteries for me. These will be to mounted on Tank-board and Ski-board.

This is the first of the three. The internals are the original Revel Kit prototype battery pack. The 3D printed case fell apart but the cells inside were fine.

The second two batteries will be tripple capacity/tripple height Landwheel Lipo batteries. Grant is reusing the L3-x BMS and the top and bottom shells of the L3-x batteries. In the case of the Revel Kit based XR battery, he’s used a Smart BMS that will give me blue tooth access to the charge levels and individual cell voltage readings.

He designed and 3D printed a height extender that is sandwiched between the Top and Bottom shells.

I had a half dozen semi-functioning V1, V4 and L3-x batteries. Grant pulled them appart, tested each cell manually balanced them all to their mint voltage levels. The majority of the cells were in perfect condition. Some of those cells dated back to early 2015.

Thanks to @ShutterShock for sharing his Frankenwheel project. It was one source of inspiration,

With two of these batteries top mounted on the tank-board and two of the original L3-x batteries undermounted, I figure tank board will have a realistic range of 28 - 60 kilometers. 28 if i’m flat out at 48 kph the whole time. 60 kilometers if I rode on speed 3 the whole way.

Those range estimates are based on the combined parallell capacity of 5 L3-x batteries and One Revel Kit battery. 950 WH total.

Tank-board is second from the front:

Ski-board will need one or two top mounted battery bays added so that it can accomodate the thicker batteries.

4 Likes

I lubricated the motor bearings today using some electric sewing machine oil since that’s the only thing I had around. I have some bones speed cream on the way. I also changed to some Ollin Popoca wheels which are slightly harder duro 78A. I was able to hit 25 mph according to the Ride app but still 22mph on the remote. I am starting to think the remote might be showing the wrong number.

To answer your questions:

1. your top speed when your revel kit was brand new
    I didn’t test out top speed bcs I wasn’t fully stable on it. Kept getting speed wobbles.

2. Number of months you have been riding it
    I received my kit on August 4th 2020. Have been riding it once or twice a week since then. I think about 12-15 times in total.

3. How many times you lubricated the bearings during that period
    Haven’t lubricated until before today’s ride.

4. Did you lubricate inner and outer wheel bearings and inner and outer motor bearings
    Today I did.

5. Which lubricant did you use
    Electric sewing machine oil. I have some Bones Speed Cream on the way.

6. Local peak daily temperature where you ride
    About 27 degrees Celcius.

7. Have you encountered many wet roads
    No wet roads. I avoid riding when its wet outside.

8. Did you lubricate immediately afterwards.
    N/A

1 Like

Amazing collection you have there. All those boards look crazy and super fun.

Thanks. A few more thoughts/questions for you.

1. What diameter are the popcca wheels. 10% smaller wheels = 10% Lower top speed.
  2. Ignore what the remote indicates as top speed. Its not accurate. Most are not. Also, try a few different GPS apps. “Map My Ride is pretty accurate”. The most accurate is to take a car GPS, reset all the histoircal max and min speed logs. Then go for a ride and check the max afterwards.

If you read the last 1600 posts to this thread, you see that there are instances of riders being stressed out that their revel kit is not hitting advertised top speed – only to find that the only issue was that they were relying on the remote or a less accurate cell phone app.

1 Like

Thanks for the reassurances! The Ollin wheels are 90mm same as revel stock wheels. I will test out the speed with a proper gps and /or compare it with a car and see what I get.

@sadabnyc I’ve had a few overheating issues but I’ve had that happen with the Vinyl Wrap and without so my guess is that my overheating problems where due to the thermostat shutting off the motor after it reached a certain temperature.
Since I cut off the thermostat wires I only get cut outs in the power when lower than 10% battery life.

Like @pkasanda said don’t trust your remote for speed accuracy so much it’s there to give you all the other info but the speedometer is inconsistent.
Also I’m on 120mm so I can’t even set it to the proper wheel diameter because the highest setting is 110mm and recording the mileage gives you too many discrepancies.
Until Revel sent us an update for the remote definitely tryout a few gps apps.
I’ve used the Ride app and it’s consistent for the most part.

Nice builds going on @pkasanda
Love the idea of the 4wd all on the rear !
I’ve personally got used to the acceleration on the front and back and going FWD or RWD just puts me off balance going 30

2 Likes

30+kph through corners.
How’s the braking power when the power is in the rear with 4DD ?

Acceleration traction is slightly better because the weight shifts to the rear when accellerating.

No effective difference in braking power. I’ve never skidded on braking whether it’s 2WD or 4WD or tandem 4WD.

I put both drives on the rear to lighten up the front end and put some battery weight under the kick. The Tarab is a super long board so a drive on the front end makes the kick steering very heavy and slugish. The Tandem rear drive makes the kick steering relatively light and responsive.

The double trucks cut the vibration down to minmal on even the most dimpled pavement. They also levitate over giant cracks and potholes. Recently I sholder checked behind me at relatively high speed and then looked forward to see I was a fraction of a second from a giant pot hole. It looked like it could have been an artilery divot. It was more than a foot across and about 6 inches deep with vertical edges. I braced for impact but somehow floated right across. I can’t explain exactly how, but that’s what happened. The double trucks just have a majic carpet effect.

Haha awesome Paul! Glad my project could provide some inspiration, I’m still riding the Bustin Wheel, which is v2.0 of Frankenwheel and it’s running great still. Easily get 15 to 20 miles on the 8s6p of the mix of old l3x batteries and v1 landwheel-Revel Kit rebrand batteries

1 Like

@ShutterShock…I also, I thought you would be pleased to hear that your dental floss technique was employed to seperate the LW Lipo cells.

1 Like

Lol that’s cool, I got it from someone on YouTube

I joined a local group ride here in Tokyo and ran into @esk8jpn from this thread! Small world :smile:

I noticed something odd - I wasn’t able to charge my remote with an Anker charger through the USB port. I used someone else’s power bank without issues and was able to charge through the board battery, but my Anker didn’t work. I wonder why that is? Anyone an idea?

1 Like

Plugged the charger in to an unpowered wall receptical?
Damaged USB port on the charger or charge stopped working for another reason?

For 95mm may Sharkwheels?

Who knows, works fine on my anker batteries haha