Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

No worries! I thought i had fixed it great too. Everything works great in how i fixed it, just need to make the solder connection stronger. Spot welding the metal tabs isn’t necessary in this case. Just need to properly secure the wire into the existing solder point instead of just globing more on top. I already reached out to revel about it and we resolved it :slight_smile:

Each vibration alert is an indicator that you have dropped below a critical low voltage threashold. You are able to continue because the voltage recovers. My personal opinion is that you should not ignore more than two vibration alerts. Its how I treat my lithium batteries. My six year old lithium batteries are still running strong and I attribute it to this practice. Prior to adopting these habits I damaged a few batteries including Chain saw batteries and Landwheel Lipo batteries.

The Revel Kit batteries seem to be more resiliant than the old Landwheel batteries. But My recommendation is to minimize riding past the vibration alerts. The best way to do that is to have lots of spare batteries and carry enough spares. Also avoid grossly oversized wheels and expect much lower range in cold weather.

I have never seen a 10% notification. Instead, the vibration alerts are usually accompanied by some tiny text that flashes on the screen with not enough time to read it. the text says that you battery has dropped below the critical low voltage threashold.

Wait what lol

I’ve seen the 10% notification two or three times, but definitely not as often as the 25%

I guess your eyes are better than mine – unless the 10% notification is unique to newer versions.

I guess it is possible the remotes had a firmware update at some point in the production line. I know one of the new batches will have some slight improvements

Can confirm, there are definitely 25% AND 10% low voltage notifications.

The text does appear & disappear quite quickly though so it’s easy to miss.

Something that might want to be remedied in future firmware. The text holding for 5 seconds would be sufficient IMO.

Finally had my first spill trying to go fast with the revel kit , no bad damages besides chipped tooth and alot of bad scrapes and bruising. Noticed the accident happened because of speed wobbles and im riding on a shorter deck right now so thats the reason.
Was coming here also to ask what bushing do you use for your trucks? Im 130lbs and 5’5 so needed recommendations for my size. Cant wait to be back out there again though!

1 Like

Ah man, that sucks. Having to go the dentist and all, in these times. Good luck, take care and blessed your injuries aren’t way worse… Could’ve ended with more broken stuff…

Oh boy I’m sorry…

Yeh speed wobbles to happen. I’d recommend some harder ones on boardside and softer roadside. There isn’t a standard really but I’ve ridden venoms, orangatang, and some riptide ones.

On one particular setup I had the orangatang yellow barrel boardside and orangatang purple street side. That was pretty nice.

On my home setup I have a riptide chubby barrel on the back board side with a venom red wine road side. On the front I have a red wine barrrel boardside and teal barrel roadside with a cupped washer.

Both ride pretty well, better than the stock for sure

We need to get Brad at riptide to suggest a set for the Revel kit.

1 Like

Got these in the mail this week, after a couple of rides they feel crazy comfy!
Definitely a great deal, and an awesome addition to my riding. Thanks for the recommendation!

I let Brad ride my Revel kit a couple weeks ago. I wanted a super carvy loose style, so my bushings wouldn’t be the greatest setup for most users. But he did figure out a good pivot cup size and saw the issue with the back truck roadside bushing being in a sort of “tube”. He also pointed out that there is a lot of play in the kingpin bolt, but i still need to order a new one and try it out to see if it reduces the slop.

1 Like

Yeah we are aware of the kingpin slop and I think that will be improved in a future version.

Would you care to share the sizes and suggestions? I was kind of looking for a pivot cup for mine too and for my old landwheel hubs

He hooked me up with some Paris Savants. Which work but aren’t ideal. The overall height is too tall, but since the pivot is narrow it feels fine, definitely a noticeable improvement in the ride.

1 Like

Hm interesting. Maybe we can get a custom one at some point

Hey, can I get a confirmation of the cells currently being used in the Extended Battery.

Are they 21700 VTC6A’s or 18650 VTC6’s?

Do you think the reason why people have battery issues with the revel kit, and e-skateboards in general is because of the lack of knowledge of not to ride past the low battery voltage warning, not overcharging it, etc? Also, it seems like you’re the revel kit veteran here lol. How long have you had your kit and are the batteries still performing up to spec?

They’re either 30Q or the 18650 VCT6

1 Like

Got it. Thanks bro

1 Like

All of my batteries are fully functional The oldest battery dates back to summer 2018. The Revel Kit batteries have impressed me in the extent to which they have withstood the odd over depletion and one down hill overcharge. Indeed, my fear was that the Landwheel battery saga would repeat itself with the Revel Kit. But those fears never materialized. The landwheel batteries had short range and almost every owner damaged thier batteries by trying to squeeze range out of the batteries (restarting after Shut down. Those Batteries were Lipo’s.

I imagine there are a few reasons that the Revel Kit batteries have not suffered over depletion damage. The cells are better. The ESC programming seems to protect the battery more. The range is much longer compared to the Landwheel L3-x. and it may or may not have helped that I posted a thousand warnings not to overdeplete batteries.

The battery problems that have been reported in this thread seem to be almost entirely due to broken aluminum tabs between cells and also some broken solder joints. @ShutterShock tells us that Revel is working on engineering improvements to prevent those types of failures in the future.

I do think that in the Eskate industry in general, overdepletion is likely the largest cause of battery failure. The Revel Kit battery has dodged those types of failures, perhaps because so many tough lessons were learned by way of the Landwheel experiment.

On the topic of overcharge, I had thought for a year or so that I had written off the first prototype battery from 2018 due to down hill overcharge. However, I recently found that the battery cells were in actually in perfect condition. A friend of mine who is a battery rock star disassembled the battery, tested all the cells, found them to be good, then reset the BMS. All good now.

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed response! I just ordered my revel kit a few weeks ago and hope to get it soon, although the may be wishful thinking. It seems lately, Revel and their distribution warehouse has been struggling to get kits out to people. You mentioned that the battery issues reported in this thread are “almost entirely due to broken aluminum tabs between cells and some broken solder joints” and that apparently they are working on this. Do you think this is a factor to why Revel Is struggling with distribution/shipping delays right now?