Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

Gave the wheels a go today and did 20km on them. Super smooth, I don’t notice anything worse compared to the stock revel wheels. If anything, the ride feels slightly smoother when going over uneven ground, but that doesn’t make much sense given that they’re harder.
I also love that this board now looks almost the same to before I turned it into eskate (red instead of orange tho).

They get a thumbs-up from me! :slight_smile: Can recommend and look great. Now need to convince Timo to offer the same wheel in a few different colors

One smaller question: I had to take out the bearings from the stock wheels and move them into the Senor Pepe ones. Made me wonder if I’d get anything from replacing the bearings or if the difference would be barely noticeable.

Btw anyone here with contacts to revel that has any idea on when international shipping opens up again? I sent an email asking as well but haven’t heard back from them.

4 Likes

Hey guys, shit happened to me.
I ignored several vibration alerts and drained my battery below critical level. My battery stopped charging after this.
But I can turn on my kit when charger is connected and I can accelerate and activate the brakes.

What do you think, can I use regenerative braking to charge the battery above level when BMS will allow to charge it from the charger? I have an idea to use electric skooter to spin the wheels and activate the braking system.

Finally I was able to place my order just now!

I’ve got email confirmation, so now I just have to wait for this to arrive!

I’m so excited, I hope everything to go fine.

3 Likes

@ShutterShock Any advice?

I over depleted a Revel Kit battery and to my surprise it came back to life. I left it sit idle for a day. The battery voltage recovered and then I plugged it in and it took a charge. So I’d try that before you try to force a charge into it with Regen current.

If that does not work, take a voltage reading off the battery terminals, and post back to this thread.

I’ve noticed that the Revel Kit battery cells are more resilient than the predecessor Landwheel L3-x batteries when it comes to discharge damage. I’ve also noticed that it is possilbe for a broken solder joint to mimic some of the characteristics of a battery that has been damaged by over depletion.

For example, my friend Rob here in Ottawa had a battery that he felt he had overdepleted.

I let it sit, charged it up, took it for a ride and it died quickly. I tried to charge it up again and it would not take a charge. I took a voltage reading and it read down around 7 volts. Myself and others concluded the battery was severly damaged. Rob then took the battery to another friend who is a battery expert. That friend disassembled the battery, found a broken solder joint, resoldered it and the battery was perfect after that.

So as much as I have written here not to ignore vibration alerts, and as much as that is good advice, there are other explainations for a battery that stops taking a charge and/or dies shortly after a fresh charge. So don’t loose hope.

1 Like

Yeah, this is a good move. Try letting it sit on the charger for a while, and see if it does anything. Does the charger light up green when you plug it in?

This is true

About how long ago did you buy the battery / receive it?

Yes, the charger light up green when I plug it.

And the most important, I can turn on the kit when charger is attached. I can accelerate and use brakes, but it still not charges. This means there is nothing wrong with broken solders in the battery.
The charger indicator blinks red-green-red-green when the kit is ON.
Maybe I can left the charger attached and the kit turned on for a while, but I’m afraid that it will drain the battery even more.

The battery is pretty new, I rode about 100km on it.

This is not necessarily true, it’s possible that a particular wire may have broken inside. Unfortunately, it would void warranty to have you open it unless specifically allowed by Revel.

Have you tried to contact support yet?

Yup, I asked them for a advice.
Thanks for assistance, I will keep posted.

1 Like

Oh sweet! So shipping is back :tada:

That’s a steal for that price.

Kitchen knives can help to take the reading if the tips of your volt meter are too large.

pk

2 Likes

Esk8 + 360 cam

Feel like a real esk8 bro lol

3 Likes

Tell your calves to quit bullying my calves.

1 Like

Yup, shake and slap method did not get positive results. I will give the battery to a service man who will open it and take the voltage. Will keep posted.

Checked the voltage on my dead-after-20km battery - 8.4V after sitting from “fully charged” a day or two ago, then put on charge until the red light went green - around 15 mins or so - still reading 8.4V.

I’m pretty confident you are going to find a disconnected wire / broken solder joint inside the battery. I don’t think it is an over depletion problem. I saw a similar situation on my friends Revel Kit battery. The same size of voltage reading (7-8 volts).

I faced that issue myself where the battery wouldn’t charge due to a broken solder joint. I don’t have a soldering iron handy but fortunately Revel accepted my return and was able to fix it for me.

1 Like

Yea I’d have to buy a soldering Iron to do anything like that, even if Revel ask me to do that once they reply again - all they’ve done is ask for pictures of the connectors so far, I replied with pics straight away and no reply yet - Though to be fair I’d have little confidence riding with this particular battery if it’s bust a solder joint already after just 20km :confused:

I’ve had mine for a little over 6 months now and ridden over 100 miles. I feel it’s still way too early to have these type of issues.

1 Like

Yea I’d agree with that too. Just wish they reply quickly now :open_hands: