Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

Shouldn’t be too hard. Just go slow & try not to take too much material out.

Honestly, I’m thinking the 72A TB 110’s are better wheels overall than the Onsra’s but time will tell.

1 Like

Yh I’ve got 165 all terrain TB pneumatics which I will use predominantly with my 60kv DD but had the onsra to give a go.

@Joeeskate, @SJReason:

Pictures?

Only have photos of pneumatics.

Nice. What are the battery specs? ESC/VESC? Deck/Encosure? Range? Total cost to source all the parts?

1 Like

My build details are on the topic below: cost just below about £1750
Raptor 2.0 Rebirth (Torque Boards DD)

1 Like

is it possible to get some measurement of the internal space that the esc takes up?

Wiring has been taped up since those photos. Trying to get this 15% dead zone out the Hoyt Puck.

Got plenty of time to do it because we’ve got 6" of snow inbound :grimacing:

1 Like

That looks sick man.

How many miles have you got on the Onsra wheels as they are looking bald in the middle.

Less than 100 miles. They wear faster than you’d imagine. Not the best wheels IMO

1 Like

Cheers and is that on hard riding ?

What type of power difference do you experience between the TB DD and the TB DD XL motors. Do you feel a big difference in the aceleration? Top Speed?

1 Like

Haven’t ridden them yet still building the board. The brand new standard DD I will be selling once the XL DD is finished.

Does someone have an exact measurement on how much ground clearance there is on the revel kit with the standard 90mm wheels (between the ground and the motors)? don’t have my kit atm and I’m trying to figure that out.

1 Like

Lol not much I’d go 110’s minimum unless you have roads with zero imperfections no ramps or bumps.

The rough size of TB DD is like 70mm so 90mm that’s only 10mm diameter round the edge clearance. Probably similar for revel.

Hi all :slight_smile:

I have just ordered my revel kit with 2 XT batteries and I am beyond excited.
This will be my first electric set up so I’ve been reading up as much as I can on eskating in general and going through this thread which is full of great info.

I have some questions regarding manually kick pushing whilst an e skate is powered on and in motion. I test rode an exway wave and Dot compact (twin hub motors) at my local skateshop to get a feel for electric and loved it, whilst test riding the compact I had a go pushing while travelling at around 20kph and it felt great, just dropping the throttle, pushing 1-3 times and picking throttle back up to keep good momentum.
If I behave like this with my revel kit when it comes (or any eskate) will I risk damaging the motors? Or will I get better range as the batteries aren’t doing all the work? Also, if I was to exceed the top speed of the motors while going downhill, would that risk damaging the motors or have undesirable effects on safety that normal un powered boards don’t?
I know this probably sounds blasphemous to electric purists but I have been skating for close to 20 years, street/park/bombing hills on skateboards and longboards and I am very comfortable kick pushing at speeds approaching 30kph, foot braking up to 50 kph or so. This only applies to lower speed cruising, once I’m comfortable on the board. I won’t be doing it at max speed for obvious reasons.
If this is something you simply shouldn’t do on an electric board, I won’t mind but would be good to know whether I can.

Thanks heaps
Very, very excited!!!

1 Like

you can definitely do the whole “Let off the throttle and kick” thing you described if you want, it will not damage anything, although I’m not sure why you’d really want to? It probably won’t help your range in any significant way. However, if you kick push up to a decent speed before engaging the throttle instead of going from standstill and hitting the throttle, that WILL help your range much more significantly, although these e-boards are quite a bit heavier than “analog” boards so it takes a little more to get them rolling up to speed than you’ll be used to. Also I wouldn’t foot brake on your e-board, since they’re heavier, it takes a lot more to slow them down and you’ll be losing out on the regenerative aspect of the braking that the board does so you’d be in a lose-lose situation there. As for going above the board’s rated max speed you’ll be fine as far as I know. I hit somewhere in the mid 30mph range once and it was all normal. I don’t know if past that there are risks (beyond those inherent with traveling at those speeds on a small plank with wheels) such as eRPM issues with the ESC, maybe someone here knows. I’m pretty sure some earlier VESCs would get fried when used with hub motors/direct drives because they would exceed some eRPM limit, but I don’t think this is an issue you have to worry about here. Overall the Revel kit has been awesome and I hope you enjoy it! hope that helps.

Awesome info cheers!

I assumed I’d get more range if I pushed every now and then but if it’s not that significant maybe I never will! I’ll see how pushing off the line to save on acceleration juice goes though.
No go on foot brakes, noted.

This is all new to me and although I’m very comfortable on analog boards, I understand I’m a noob in this space with a lot to learn.

1 Like

also a side note, the revel kit is gonna sit very high from the ground compare to analog board that uses 50~60mm wheels

1 Like