Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

Not always from my experience. You do typically change the ratio though on belt drives or similar

This is not true :man_shrugging:t2:

The wheel size may have some effect, but not as much as wh/mile of the wheels.

Ok, so we disagree on all matters of wheel size and range. I plan to do some wheel comparison tests in the spring. I’ll be getting some of Jason’s wheels. So I’ll be able to do some scientific tests on cloud wheels, jason wheels, TB wheels and mabey some others. I’ll try to test the Revel Kit and a belt drive machine with two different pulley sizes.

1 Like

Unrelated to the current range discussion since I don’t think I have anything to contribute there but does anyone have 3-d printing files available for Abec core Pneumatic tires? couldn’t find anything on Thingiverse and I’d rather not spend tons of time designing my own. Thanks!

1 Like

With the low range and tiny battery pneumatics are a bad idea for the revel kit you could try it with 4WD I recon it would still be bad and probably brake the kits.

1 Like

I have a 4WD setup currently. I think it’d be able to supply the power and I don’t see how it could damage the drive?

Hey @Penny_Pincher. Great to hear fro you again.

A 4WD revel kit is capable of powering pneumatic wheels. However, you would want to parallell in considerable battery capacity. The larger the battery, the less the voltage will crash when you try to accelerate a large diameter wheel. Avoiding those voltage crashes will give you good range.

If you try to pull this off with only two Revel kit batteries, then I don’t think your range will be very satisfying – probably less than 8 kilometer on a 4WD.

The best model that I know of for a long range 4W DD of project is a board that was built by @visnu777

Here is a link to some pictues of what he built.

He built it with TB DD assemblies, Janux Wheels and a massive battery. I corresponded with Michael about his creation and asked him how he was able to get decent range out of DD motors. His answer was that the secret was having an enormous battery. @visnu777 does alot of long distance travel on his various creations.

You can do the same thing with a 4WD Revel Kit. However, you will need to add alot of battery capacity in parallell if you want to sustain voltage and range.

@visnu777 put up a huge thread on this project and you might want to read it top to bottom. He starts out with a landwheel drive and a mellow board drive. He then switches to E-Lofty drives. Finally he uses the TB DD wheel adapters to join Janux Hubs to the E-Lofty DD motors.

This link jumps in just after he completes the Elofty/Janux Assembly.

He has a number of setbacks in his project including a blown ESC and overdepleting and damaging his first battery. He then builds a larger battery and finishes at a sucess.

The Revel kit has excellent voltage pacing so I think the risk of blowing a battery is much lower compared to the programmable VESC’s used by @visnu777. I think the damaged VESC was also a result of @visnu777 going high on the programmable maximum amps. So again, I think the risk of damaging th ESC’s on a 4WD revel kit would also be relatively low.

But the keys to sucess is are an enormous battery and the smallest possible diameter of pneumatic wheel.

2 Likes

The smallest diameter Pneumatic wheel that I know of are these 155 mm sets:

They have been out of stock until recently but I see now that it is possible to order again.

You would have to fabricate your own motor adapter. None of the revel kit adapters look anything like this…

But I think it might not be too hard to make an adapter out of a disk of 3/16 inch ABS plastic. Just bolt the disk to the motor, swap in much longer bolts on to the rims and drill matching holes in the ABS disk.

Do you see what I’m suggesting. Longer bolts inserted here:

That would give you five studs to mesh with five holes drilled in the ABS disk.

An aluminum disk would also work if you have a big hole saw and a strong drill press.

A hand drill can also work, especially if you use the hole saw in reverse.

1 Like

Hi @pkasanda happy to see you’re still as active as ever on the forum. Unfortunate that Pneumatics are still relatively expensive. If these fit on perfectly then they would be worth the price but given the fact that I’d be modifying these pretty significantly theres a chance I’d damage them irreparably which would really suck… I’ll keep my eyes and ears open for any possible solutions that are less mod-heavy. Depending on the time I have I may start trying to design some 3-d printable hubs that work with the Kegel adapters. I think other forum members have had success with 3d printed hubs before. Looking forward to seeing what Jason comes out with though… could be a interesting as well.

I suspect his wheels will be pretty good for 4WD. Range will still be a bit limited but I expect you will get slightly better range with the ruber wheels compared to cloud wheels. My 4WD Cloudwheel range is about 15 km running top speed and full accelleration. But if you tune the remote down to speed two or three, your batteries won’t get hit so hard on the accelleration so the range might almost double.

I’ve been thinking about the beast wheels. But I imagine they would wear out pretty quickly given that the running surface looks to be only 1/8th inch thick.

I may try some metroboard wheels on 8WD.

1 Like

No, I did not. Still just rocking a bunch of spare XT batteries in my backpack.

Insane amount of mileage on those motors & they’re still holding up phenomenally.

My DIY was just completed today though, so the maiden voyage is tomorrow.

TB 90kv 4WD
ChiBatterySystems 12S9P P42A Battery
2 Unity’s
115mm Onsra Wheels
42" Psychotiller Llama Deck+Enclosure

We’ll see how it does tomorrow!

2 Likes

Nice man how did u get the 115mm to fit the tb direct drives as mine do not fit did u drill press them?

Had to drill them out to make them fit. Was pissed when I realized they were not standard kegel core spec.

1 Like

I need to do the same how hard was it to do to get them straight etc?

Yh it’s annoying there’s like Chinese kegel and American kegel from wha to can see.

Connect it to a toaster.

1 Like

Shouldn’t be too hard. Just go slow & try not to take too much material out.

Honestly, I’m thinking the 72A TB 110’s are better wheels overall than the Onsra’s but time will tell.

1 Like

Yh I’ve got 165 all terrain TB pneumatics which I will use predominantly with my 60kv DD but had the onsra to give a go.

@Joeeskate, @SJReason:

Pictures?

Only have photos of pneumatics.

Nice. What are the battery specs? ESC/VESC? Deck/Encosure? Range? Total cost to source all the parts?

1 Like

My build details are on the topic below: cost just below about £1750
Raptor 2.0 Rebirth (Torque Boards DD)

1 Like