Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

Very much so, I know they are not water proof (none are really).

Nice :slight_smile: I ordered two new batteries right before the port of shanghai was closed down (bad timing) but should get them in the coming week(s). Hopefully I am not in quarantine when they arrive.

The shower cap is a nice trick. Like you said, not a year 'round always on solution, but in case of emergency. I never go out riding if I know it’s wet or raining, but damp roads and I have been caught by puddles and surprise rain.

Just ordered a pair of 4 shower caps for a total of 1,98 USD shipped to me within Sweden :smiley: could be here as early as tomorrow.

1 Like

right out of trampas playbook

2 Likes

Speaking of batteries and range, I just wanted to remind everyone that the first few rides of the season after taking an eskate out of winter mothballs can give you much less range than the previous season. For me it usually takes about six charge cycles to get back to normal range. That’s for all of my esk8’s including boostedboad, Onewheel, L3-x and likely also for the Revel Kit.

So don’t panic. The first ride in particular can really short change you on range.

The same is true of freshly unboxed batteries. Over the first six charge cycles, range should improve (provided you are not overdepleting the batteries).

Depeding on where you live, it may still be relatively cool out. The temperature combined with “out of practice batteries” could give you much less range that you will be getting mid-summer.

@jxslepton & @murdomeek
Does this apply to you? Cool Temperatures and/or you bateries are brand new and/or your battereis have been stored all winter?

1 Like

are there plans to make adapters for AT wheels in the works? The 4wd Revel Kit with extended range batteries is an absolute beast and i’d love to gain the ability to cut across grass and dirt without thinking about it. in the meantime i’m taking advantage of the completely empty golf course nearby with beautifully pave golf cart paths :slight_smile:

PS: would not be going AT on the golf course, that would be a garbage thing to do

2 Likes

@revel_flo @Revel_Jason

@Penny_Pincher

@visnu777 has built a 4WD AT direct drive setup that may be relevant to your question.

I’m not sure if he built it with standard TB wheels and Elofty drive adapters. It is also possible that he has made some custom parts.

@visnu777 can you enlighten us?

Here are two links to his creation.

3 Likes

@visnu777
I did 60 seconds of research and it looks like the e-lofty motors have 5 bolts vs 4 bolts on the Revel Kit. the TB dd motors have 6 bolts. So neither the E-lofty or TB wheel adapters would fit a Revel kit motor.

Also, the 160mm TB wheel has a new five spoke pattern that would not fit Kegel or ABEC motor adapters.

So it might be possible to mill down the TB gear pulley for the 160mm wheel, drill 4 holes and convert them into DD wheel adapters.

The alternative would be the Janux aluminum rims. see next post.

@Janux-esk8

Is there any reason that these would not fit on a Revel Kit Direct Drive.

Is it correct to assume that your Kegel version is standard Kegel and ABEC is standard ABEC. Correct?

and the bearing spacing is standard right? So it won’t require any additional axle length compared to standard urethane wheels?

Do you also sell the tires? If not do you have a tire ordering link?

The TB direct drive is not recommended for AT wheels if you’re not in 4WD… The revel kit is less powerful than the TB… So no chance if your not in 4WD. By the way , one video in this thread was posted by the revel crew, you can see a 4wd revel with 120 mm cloudwheels. I think it’s a the best AT option for a revel kit.

3 Likes

Hubs were designed to fit standard Kegel, can’t confirm to fit Revel Kit Direct Drive.

A minor modification of the hub is enough to fit any direct drive with Kegel pattern by using a progressively larger size drill bit to enlarge the holes.

Yes, bearing spacer is standard at 10mm wide.

6"x2" tires are available in limited quantities, please PM.

The revel kit comes with Kegle and ABEC motor adapters. The fit TB 110 kegel wheels so I think that confirms the fit. Do you concur.

2 Likes

Kegel pattern is more forgiving in term of modification to fit. Abec is a bit more challenging due to the profile. My current hub with Abec style opening was designed around the Carvon XL DD.

2 Likes

Kegel FTW

1 Like

I’m in strong agreement with you on your 4WD opinions. 4WD would be much more up to the task. However, a Determined 2WD Revel kit owner might still be able to make it work by suplimenting the battery. I suspect a 2WD Revel Kit with a massive booster battery attached to the front might do ok with AT wheels

Even with 4WD, I think a booster battery might help alot given how much range I understand is lost with AT wheels.

I think we should be asking Jason for a 90KV motor option/price. I bet that would be the best AT set-up for the Revel Kit.

1 Like

oops…

So if 6 inch wheels are too much for a TB 75kv motor, then it might also be bad for a Revel kit. Certaily for 2WD but maybe also for 4WD.

@BillGordon do you happen to know if TB 75KV issues with 6 inch wheels was 2WD only or also 4WD?

Based on my personal experience cloudwheels are probably best on a long board 4wd revel board set up.

They smoothed out rough roads but still weren’t as smooth as 74a 90mm tb wheels on a decent road plus the performance took a noticeable hit.

1 Like

Hi there, do you know how to chage rhe revel kit adapter to the orangatang? The nut on the axel stops the adapter from being able to sit in properly

1 Like

I have a question about the revel kit : is it waterproof ? Like let’s say an Exway X1-pro with hubs ? I need a board for rain, and I’d like to be able to try Harfang wheels on it, wich the hubs can’t …

1 Like

Orangatangs mean the Kegel Core adapter. Remove the 4 small screws to be able to remove the existing Abec Core adapter. Replace the 4 small screws - and you’re done - its in the manual i think

Exway had a video go viral with a rider going through a flooded road… That said, exway is NOT water"proof", neither is the revel kit. A skateboard is low to the ground and a puddle quickly covers every slight crack with water.

Water ruins bearings, brings dirt into motors, damages wooden boards et cetera. Is it water resistant? Yes. Water PROOF? it is an all electric light weight vehicle that is close to the ground… No it cannot be.

The electronics are shielded, everything is fairly water tight. It is not as delicate as something like the V1 Boosted board or a Landwheel (a drive I personally have) the revel kit is advertised as water resistant, and they have gone to great lengths to keep it from breaking.

Unlike the exway, revel kit has swappable batteries. The terminals on the kit and the batteries are exposed to potential moisture that can enter the batteries and or kit. Lithium ion batteries do not play nice with water, it can cause sudden voltage drops that lead to power offs and potentially damaged batteries.

You can help water “proof” it by sealing up the edge of your batteries, permanently cover your USB port if you don’t use it. Either way I don’t recommend riding any board in the rain without extreme care and caution. Make sure your drive and batteries are stored dry and open it up after, let it air out. Look for any cracks or seems that let in water.

That said, a light drizzle here and there or slightly damp roads should not completely ruin your board if you take care of it, dry it, take it apart sometimes and keep it tiptop.

TL;DR:
NO.

2 Likes