šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread 2023

3 Likes

Damn, rated for 25a.

Iā€™d like to know how this works for you and what settings you run @Linesflag

1 Like

I sure hope so. :smiley:

Yep. Problem free I reckon, median current levels are way under 25 amps, and lots of people here run MR60, which is rated for 30A and so far Iā€™ve not seen any problems pop up. The only downside of these things is the price, Iā€™ve got the bigger SA28 planned for another build and those go for 20$ for just the male side.

Currently I run it at 80 motor amps, but thats untested, I just finished the board. I think Iā€™ll also change the glossy finish, too many fingerprints visibleā€¦

2 Likes

wait, the ones on the board arenā€™t even the sa28?? SA12 i assume? Man the 28s are huuge then.

Those are SA20, the maximum could fit in this slim enclosure. SA/SF12 is the charge port.

the one in the picutre you posted is the SA28, those are massive and rated for 50A :smiley:

1 Like

This is true, but XT90 is also ā€œrated forā€ 30A and I think these are CYA ratings. In open air the XT90 desolder themselves at around 300A. MR60 are likely to also be underrated.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not familiar with this term, what does that mean?

1 Like

Cover Your Ass

In other words, the ratings might be expressly designed to protect the company from a legal perspective and have little to do with actual engineering or capabilities. At least, thatā€™s my hypothesis.

1 Like

ah okay, thanks.

Yeah that might be, but Iā€™m currently already running a WS20, rated for 25A, at over 40 motor amps for like 4 months now and it doesnā€™t even get warm, so there might be a lot of overhead in those connectors too.

Just a side noteā€¦
Connector current ratings are often just for a particular temperature rise in free air. Theyā€™re not safety limits or melting points.

I often see 20Ā°C as a temp rise basis for a current rating. This isnā€™t as low as you might think as it can easily result in an almost-too-hot-to-grab metal connector if out in the open and a frakkinā€™ hot one if inside a case or in the sun.

2 Likes

:arrow_up: this, and also weā€™re typically not running these connectors in open air. Theyā€™re often stuffed into a crowded and cramped non-breathable enclosure along with lots of other components that also generate heat during use.

2 Likes

Good call, Iā€™ll be watching the temps. Gotta try new stuff. And, as I said, ā†“

Also, opposed to Amass connectors, these are completely metal and outside the enclosure too, so lots of opportunities to radiate heat away. :smiley:

2 Likes

Mega nice, doooood!
Keep on going!
Awesome.

2 Likes

@Venom121212 where do you spend most of your time riding? Concrete or dirt? Lately Iā€™m 70/30 concrete /dirt and it is ruining my street parts and human body.

Ive used emtb on streets, but the tire wear and stability suuuuuuuucks.

2 Likes

Iā€™m about 70/30 myself but am just too lazy to change tires multiple times per week.

Need to figure out a hot swap battery enclosure system.

2 Likes

Can I introduce you to my personal lord and savior, dzus Christ?

(A better joke uses ā€œZeusā€ bc thatā€™s actually how pronounced, and bonus, both gods, but idfk)

5 Likes

Oh baby, I just learned a new word for a thing I like!

7 Likes

This is why I went hard into using kegel-compatible rims.

Itā€™s dead easy now for me to just slide off 6" or 8" pneumies on InfinityHubs and slide on TB110 wheels multiple times per week. No changing tubes, pulleys or adaptors. If I plan ahead at least 30 mins before a ride I can swap at the ā€œlast minuteā€ with no issue. Sometimes I even take a set of pneumies or thanes on rides to swap mid ride.

Only downside is no matter what Iā€™m stuck with a 2.78:1 gear ratio before wheel size is counted in.

2 Likes

i adore the color of the Clownwheels :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Beautiful! Where is that?

3 Likes