🖼 Reply to “Pictures and nothing else” thread 2023

yeah, one thing ive heard a lot (though i dont know if it is true or not) is that the screws were designed to be sort of automatically torque limmiting, which would be helpful on low tech assembly lines.

This makes me cringe. Might as well stamp Future Motion on those unrepairable products LOL

Definitely makes sense in something like a deck screw where you’d want it to cam out rather break your wrist if you did something stupid.

When’s the last time you had to repair a Happy Meal toy or alarm clock? They’re nearly disposable and would cost more to repair than to buy a new one, so why bother spending extra on screws designed to be taken apart repeatedly when it will never be taken apart?

1 Like

Oooh is this the torx plus head style, let me take a look

1 Like

Dang that’s yummy

2 Likes

@Shadowfax yoooo that looks dooooope! Let’s see how they ride!!!

2 Likes

I think a large point of failure in the model is the fact that it wasn’t idiot proofed against similar but wrong tool usage.

You can’t really use the wrong sized hex key to strip a bolt. Too small and it doesn’t engage, too big and it doesn’t fit. Poka-yoke at its finest.

You can stick almost every single wrong sized Phillips bit in a screw and think, “this fits yeah?”

3 Likes

I do agree with you, but it also has another serious flaw.

You need to keep constant force applied pushing the driver and screw together or it doesn’t work. Other bits like hex or torx or square or external hex, you do need to keep the tool from falling out, but mostly the force applied is all in the angular direction. On Phillips, you have to apply angular force AND axial force, or it doesn’t work.

4 Likes

Smooth :joy:

1 Like

Yeah pretty stoked on how they look on the pentagrams. It will be a couple weeks before I get to ride them, since I still have M1-AT drives on the way.

1 Like

how do u determine if it supposed to be in certain size bit? wiggle room? i usually just find a bit that just big enough so there is no give when i try to wiggle the screw driver

4 Likes

Yeah that’s the official method

6 Likes

Maybe I’m just especially at it bad, but I feel like I have way more trouble telling if it’s too small than too big so I start larger and work my way down.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I think those are just as wide as the xl40 hellcats it ride a lil rougher but feel good

2 Likes

The black/silver motif here is glorious.

4 Likes

Don’t pretend like you’ve got kids, bro. We understand.

6 Likes

mbs pattern isn’t it?

It wil fit the mbs pattern yes but not smootly . You need to sand the bolts a little bit

4 Likes