🖼 Reply to “Pictures and nothing else” thread_2020_summer

nope it was never set and tbh i never knew about remote timeout failsafes until now so i never had one set but ill definitely setup the timeout setting so this wont happen again.

1 Like

This is the case, there is a failsafe in place. There’s even a timeout value you can set for how long it will wait before it drops you to neutral throttle. The only thing that should keep your throttle going after you let off of it is negative ramping time.

Hmmm. Now that’s weird. Second board I’ve heard of doing this.

2 Likes

what is this called and where is this setting?
need to check mine.

app > general > timeout ms and brake current is near the top

3 Likes

what would be ok parameters there? :slight_smile:

1 Like

thats a good question

2 Likes

Personally I have mine set to 500ms but the default is fine at 1000ms.

I haven’t had a remote disconnect in 3+ years at this point, so really the only thing that can cut acceleration are faults. In addition, your fault timeout can be adjusted so it doesn’t cut out for a full 1000ms as well. IIRC mine is set to 100ms.

1 Like

So. If the default is ok. How did yours go nuts like this @Takachi14 ? :thinking:

Theoretically with 1000ms timeout + a 0.2s default negative ramping value, a board could continue for 1.2 seconds after losing connection.

@Takachi14 was it spinning longer than that? Still spinning after it crashed?

1 Like

mines didnt have brake timeout amps set so my board just kept goin once the board ran out of range

1 Like

it didnt have enough runway for me to see it free roll from range cutout

1 Like

Eh? I’m not sure anyone sets that.

So impossible to know if it was still trying to go after 1.2seconds?

1 Like

u can set timeout brake current i never had that set to anything so it was 0amps

2 Likes

unless i replicate it no. Once i get my board back up and running ill test in a massive open area to see if the board will keep goin after 1.2 secs

3 Likes

Brake amps seems scary in case of unforseen timeout.

2 Likes

id get rid of this sharpish.

1 Like

I got literally the same setup, same deck, same enclosure and same blue bergs!!

What are the specs?

1 Like

its not the wands fault XD

So here’s why I think you might have just disconnected and the timeout/throttle ramping did the rest:

The receiver itself is pretty dumb. It’s receiving packets from the Wand over NRF-ESB comms and it’s pushing vesc command packets over the UART to your ESC.

There’s no code running on the NRF/BLE receiver that would allow for it to send throttle commands unless it’s receiving packets from the Wand. So if you have lost connection to your board, it’s defaulting to the ESC fail-safes and timeouts as the only means of input.

My theory, as I’ve observed this happen before:

Board is idle at 0 throttle, there are connectivity issues with the remote and the user gives the board throttle. Because of the interference it grabs the first input at a higher level than it would, 0 → 70-100% all at once, before falling to idle timeout.

If you have 0.4s positive ramping + 0.2s neg ramping + 1000ms timeout that’s potentially up to 1.6 seconds where your board is not responding but ramping up/down in throttle. Couple that with no rider on the board and vrooooom!

Either that, or your connection was maintained and you got an erroneous full reverse throttle signal from the potentiometer input on the Wand.

3 Likes

Gonna need some more info on this dawg

4 Likes