šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread_2020_summer

Ok so like, this is what my @moon beta drives (not those production ones, legit first run i think) looked like after 1500 miles of no grease changes. I was using White lithium and now that shit is straight black dried gook. The reason for this is my maytech motors have open cans so basically road dirt got in there real good. I had some covers I could of put on but the loctite 680 was already set on the gears (i jumped the gun during the install and forgot) and I didnt feel like taking them off as the mesh was perfect.

Also my gears were legit only held on by that 680. The only reason I took them som bitches apart was it broke loose on my way to work today. Motor gear was spinning on the shaft.

Gears legit held up to the most crusty conditions and 1500 miles of abuse and still look ight.

7 Likes

This is how mine are under super similar conditions.

Og beta drive, red Mobil 28 grease, crumbly dust after many miles, gears still looking good.

I still love that build my dude.

3 Likes

Yeah these drives fuck hard. Not gonna lie though they are a huge pain in the ass to take apart an assemble. That was changed with the newer versions. Aside from that I had 0 issues with them ever. Board was issue free for almost a year. I did switch to metro tires from bergs as the bergs were scraping hard core. Clearance was booty butt.

Im ordering some mobile grease and some loctite 680. I was thinking about getting the new motor gears as moon mentioned they work on the betas. My motor gears have no set screw or keyway which is fine. Loctite 680 probs only failed as the shit was mad dry lol.

Anyway proof of concept. Loctite 680 fucks, and havent changed grease in 1500 miles. Aside from the board being legit loud as fuck, like super mega loud, no issues.

3 Likes

Meggggga loud. The helicals on the new ones were night and day difference. Too lazy to change the other board out, definitely not easy to fuck with like belts.

2 Likes

I fucking love lotus :relaxed:

2 Likes

Should I lubricate the bushings in the Mbs Matrix II trucks when I reassemble it?

What lube is recommended?.

4 Likes

Is that a thing? I wouldnā€™t have thought you needed to lubricate bushings.

3 Likes

Gimme video pleaaaase

1 Like

Probably not. But if you do, use parafin wax powder or even teflon powder. Grease will get shit stuck on it and end up grinding the bushing 10x

4 Likes

Is anyone besides @ApexBoards working on eMTB enclosures? I mean, look. at. this. Somethingā€™s gotta give ffs.

10 Likes

Is there something wrong with my massive Harbor Freight lunch box, Chris? :joy:

Iā€™ll admit that itā€™s not the sexiest thing, but I think that pelican-type cases are really hard to beat because of price, availability, simplicity, and waterproofing. That last one is the reason I went with this. I plan for this to be my rain-ready board, so sealing up a couple of holes in an otherwise water-tight board makes a lot of sense for me.

4 Likes

I agree there is still a lot of ground to be gained there, especially regarding looks. I believe 3Dservisas also has something in the works. Peli style boxes are hard to beat regarding price for most people however.

Currently testing some different looks on a customised enclosure though. Gonna try a more subtle stealthy logo next.

8 Likes

Youā€™re absolutely right, my dude. Peli-cases/equivalent are the most sensible and practical choice of eMTB enclosure. No contest - and thatā€™s the problem - thereā€™s no contest.

A lot of us really go balls-out on the craftsmanship and aesthetics of our builds. Lacroix, 3DS, Sender, Radium etcā€¦ all making a tidy penny from it. Like I say, with the exception of Apex, Iā€™m not aware of any activity in the pursuit of beautiful eMTB enclosures. Alex seems to be saying that Lacroix will be looking at that next year though, so thereā€™s that.

Not to bash your build, Benjamin. Itā€™s all quality componentry. I mean, it looks like youā€™re heading off on a weekā€™s holiday or something, but youā€™re clearly buying up the good stuff and I sympathise with your position. Understand me, I just want you to be able to hold your head up with pride when you ride the thing :wink:

6 Likes

Yes! The Oakley Strongbox! Now thereā€™s a viable alternative.

Strength to your arm on the custom enclosure, Brian! Excited to see what you come up with! :muscle:

3 Likes

12s10p Tesla Model 3 cells, plus ESC and all electronics in the box, does not make for a small enclosure :joy:

I fully agree with you Chris, we need more options and competition in this market. I just worry that too many will go the Trama way and prioritize looks over function. At least pelican cases will always be there for us haha. I look forward to the innovations to come though :slight_smile:

1 Like

One problem with pelicases is that they are very heavy. A carbon or fiberglass alternative would weigh half as much

4 Likes

@BenjaminF I have the same issue with my new build. I started this thread in the 3D Printing Request area.

Woah hold your horses

8 Likes

Wow that battery case looks awesome, would you mind sharing the files for the 3d print?

3 Likes

Oh!? Dā€™ya know, it hadnā€™t occurred to me for one moment that Trampa had prioritised looks over function. :joy:

@PixelatedPolyeurthan, dude, I would personally bear that enclosure on my deck most proudly. Itā€™s an accomplished feat of engineering and the result is seriously impressive. Iā€™m prepared to accept that despite my finely polished and well-turned-out appearance, Iā€™m not the ultimate arbiter of what is and what is not beautiful - but it is not beautiful.

2 Likes