šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread_2020_summer

Not if I find it first. I need another build this year like a second pen15 hole.

Current builds
1 Tubby 40% completed
2. Luminar 10% no deck yet
3. Puppy started today 30% Pink and girly itā€™s for my 6 year old (well thatā€™s my story).

You have likely more on the go.

5 Likes

I think you added an extra 0 after 100 by mistake

2 Likes

2 Likes

@janpom
Cool idea! What use do you intend this for? I can see it being good for a charge port (xt90, barrel jack, whatever youā€™d use) but loop key? Are you also limiting current in the VESC settings? Wouldnā€™t want it to blow because you pulled a tad too much current while riding I would think.

1 Like

@janpom how are you going to test it out safely?

I actually do use the same kind of fuse for the charge port:

Why not? Fused loop key makes a lot of sense to me. If it blows, itā€™s easy to replace. When testing, I can carry another loop key in my pocket and not have to push home in case the test doesnā€™t work out as expected.

I have 50A current limit on each motor. Iā€™m going to add 30A battery limit per VESC as well so that I donā€™t exceed 60A battery limit total, though I donā€™t really ever do.

60A for a few secs should be perfectly safe. Thereā€™s padding. Even at 2x rated current the fuse should take a few seconds to blow (according to the data sheet).

Iā€™m thinking of putting on all my protective gear and doing some uphill runs with hard acceleration. Maybe carry the board downhill until I have enough confidence the fuses donā€™t blow under hard braking current.

5 Likes

I think itā€™s a great idea

1 Like

I think itā€™s a terrible idea because you can fry your vesc if youā€™re braking when the fuses blow.

Thatā€™s very unlikely to happen since braking currents are much lower than discharge currents. If the fuse blows, it will probably be while accelerating and not while braking.

I would still rather fry my vescs than burn down my board (again) in case thereā€™s a short.

3 Likes

So insane, you are always builing different boards, all the way through eskate universe. Most busiest guy ever! Thats awesome,dood!

1 Like

Lol my homie is out here preaching off of, what?

10s, some hub motors, and 8 miles of range? Lolol

3 Likes

He probably got the itch though, short jump from there to DIY once you realize 25 is cruising speed.

2 Likes

@janpom while adding a 60A fuse here could add a tiny amount of safety risk, adding six 10A fuses in parallel is significantly worse imho.

Be really careful with that, if that was in my home Iā€™d immediately cut it up and discard it as a safety hazard.

Any tiny differences in resistivity could lead to a flow imbalance, and if any one of those six blow, the rest will quickly blow in succession

experiments #forscience are great though; carry on

5 Likes

Has anyone considered adding a diode to allow regen even after blowing the fuse?

Yes, I realize that. This actually didnā€™t work out quite as I have imagined. I thought I would be able to keep the loop key way smaller than if using a single automotive fuse. Itā€™s not that small at the end though.

Anyway, I will test it very carefully before deciding whether I want to keep it or not.

One other problem I realized is that the terminals of some fuses are very close to each other and may actually touch and bridge the fused connection. It would have been better to put a heatshrink around each fuse.

1 Like

Now I have to go through the trouble putting the 7" hubs back on adjust the motors/belts change info in Metr Pro. ainā€™t nobody got time for this I gotta R.E.D.

10 Likes

al_yaas

2 Likes

Its not a Senaā€¦but its pretty damn close :grin:

4 Likes

The fact that the 2mm hex wrench broke before the bolt stripped-out can attest to the quality here.

Wera Hex Plus for lyfe

2 Likes

Any other wrench would still be whole ā€“ but instead of buying a new wrench, now you have a stripped-out grubscrew fucking up your skate. So instead of a $5 problem, itā€™d be a $1500 problem :rofl:

@257 Here you go, this listing is actually hard to find

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ASVSMP0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: dang, itā€™s out of stock

Just search for 05022602001

1 Like