Remove glass frit?

There are a million and a half posts on Glass Frit. I am a grip tape guy- call me old-school.

Once your frit wears down (if it does) … How do you best prep your board for grip tape?

I’ve got an old (~2007) Loaded Vanguard, and the stock frit is absolutely useless, but still enough of a pain in the ass to not want to just plop the griptape on-top of it. Sand paper?

9 Likes

This is a good question because when I F up on my frit I want to know how to fix it
@glyphiks @rosco @Sender @PedroMcJimenez

5 Likes

I could use this information as well

2 Likes

I have no experience, but have read heat gun + scraper and maybe some acetone is the way to go.
Oh, and lots of sweat and cussing.
Endless sanding may work :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I used a random orbital sander to remove the clear frit that came on a bamboo cruiser deck of mine. However, I am pretty sure medium glass frit would just shred the sandpaper disc. Perhaps you need to use something to loosen the epoxy first?

4 Likes

Hammer and chisel.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I used a brick from Home Deport that is designed to file tile and grout. Works great.

5 Likes

For some reason I don’t have a dremel, and I need to purchase a router, so this sounds like a great option… Thank you!

If it is locked in epoxy or even better on a canvas with epoxy, using a heat gun rules the world. Heat a corner, start lifting it.

Continue heating at the unlifted area while peeling. :slight_smile:

Profit.

17 Likes

WTF mind blown. Is that epoxy? What kind? Why isn’t it bonded to the wood? Was the wood not sanded first? So many questions.

9 Likes

It was bonded with epoxy. Epoxy is a polymer. Polymers dislike heat and start melting under it. Also, a thin layer of epoxy gets heated much faster than the wood if you use a powerful heatgun. :slight_smile:

The downside is the adhesion layer of epoxy left under that needs to be sanded off.

7 Likes

Looks like the epoxy was only bonded to the canvas, not the wood. If you get epoxy on wood, no way in hell you’re getting it off with a heat gun.

5 Likes

True, noted it in the last reply. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

So it’s like Super Grip Tape 5000. Got it.

I would have never tried that

2 Likes

It is quite rough, the leftover adhesion surface, but it will never beat grip tape or frit/frit with skinning. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now THATs skinning a deck! :laughing:

6 Likes

There are many ways to skin a cat deck.

5 Likes

If

([Hourly pay] x [# of hours it takes to do this]) + [how much you value your mental heath] + [materials and cleanup] > cost of the deck

Then

Buy a new deck imo

9 Likes

Doesn’t apply to custom decks sadly. :slight_smile:

1 Like