Remove glass frit?

For a custom deck it still works because a custom deck is worth more than the effort it takes to remove the frit. So in that case, remove the frit.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried paint stripper? I dunno if it theoritically(is this even a real word?) work u never know till you try :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Theoretically*

3 Likes

Very course and hard sandpaper works too, wear a mask though.

1 Like

Strippers are real, don’t listen to your mom.

images (3)

I’d try those if I needed to remove some frit

9 Likes

I meant like some Like this and yes strippers are real , how old do you think I am🤔?

2 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

Flapdisk +1.

Those things will remove a shit load of material (Mild steel, ar200, ar500, aluminum, titanium, they dont give a fuck). Just be very careful otherwise you’ll chew into your board at the same time.

4 Likes

Man up and sand it off. An orbital sander with a few 80 grit pads would get you through it.

4 Likes

I wish it were a canvas… Hypothetically speaking, this wouldnt work if the frit were epoxied into a structural fiberglass layer… Right? I wish it … was this easy - Dude you lucky. Good guide, and good forewarning for all those fritters out there… Use a canvas layer. :grimacing::nerd_face::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Otherwise you need a good facemask to protect yourself from epoxy dust, a belt sander and a LOT of patience. :grinning:

2 Likes

Sanding sucks.

3 Likes

follow the instructions to a T and I promise you will have success. :metal:

4 Likes

I use an angle grinder fitted with a flap disk. It looks like a sand paper pin-wheel. It’s pretty aggressive so I only do a rough job with it and then switch over to a regular orbital sander to finish the job. This will strip it all the way down to the bare deck. If you’re trying to preserve the finish at all, I wouldn’t go this route.

3 Likes

Finish as in art work?

1 Like

Yeah, art or paint.

2 Likes

Right right. Well homeslice is prepping for regular grip tape. I say dump the chemicals and let science do the the things.

2 Likes

I assume you have to sand smooth and apply a clear coat after using this product

1 Like

When you heat the epoxy with a heat blower to 180 degrees Celsius the structure of the epoxy bonds breaks down and you can scrape it of with a scraper. That will leave only some burns and scuffs from scraping, just a little superficial sanding with fine sandpaper and you can apply selfadhesive grit as it if it were a new board.

Sanding or grinding it off is insane, using brute force will hamper your deck only more, leaving you swearing and biting microscopic glass dust.

5 Likes

^ this. This man is better at explaining what I meant. Combine both of our insights and you got a guide. :laughing:

2 Likes