Remotes Supporting Multiple Receivers (SERIOUS)

Lots of (incorrect) assumptions being made here.

The “programmer” he bought is a standard piece of equipment in his Beta OSRR kit, so he bought a second one that also doubles as a receiver board. It’s flexible like that. He did this because he wanted a second receiver… Kinda relevant to the topic at hand?

I have said since the beginning the OSRR can support multiple receivers should it be configured to do so.

This is an inherent natural function of the radio technology I’m using for these and it’ll do so without needing to monitor any tx/rx pin, or anything other hack.

@SeanHacker did this to demonstrate that OSRR can in fact communicate with multiple receivers despite that being denied by those without any knowledge of the device in hand.

No goal post moving here. Just because you dont understand, doesn’t make it any less true. I’m happy to explain further if you would like a tutorial.

Sorry, im not sure why you’re making this assumption. You must not understand.

Regardless- The topic is about remotes supporting multiple receivers.

The OSRR technology as a platform, can. This is fact, and it’s not up to interpretation by those without any knowledge of said tech.

2 Likes

It’s more of an islanding/isolation method in this particular application. There’s limited usefulness depending on the type of machine in play.

I think when most people think of remotes supporting multiple receivers, they’re talking about having one remote that can be paired to multiple boards (which this can also do).

But the radios were using in OSRR specifically can do point to point, multipoint star, and mesh networking topology, so we have a few options.

3 Likes

So to be clear for one who knows nothing but fakes it well. The configuration process is as painless as the process required to pair a dual receiver set up on a mini remote?

1 Like

On beta hardware, the radios must be paired via USB, because each has a unique profile & security ID. This is a standard, documented part of the config, which I handle for beta users, for now, but they’re welcome to dig under the hood and customize as that’s a feature of the platform.

0.9/1.0 hardware pairs in the same way The Wand does, so it’s a bit more automagic.

The OSRR beta has a higher barrier of entry in terms of technical knowledge than an off the shelf Mini. The mini is definitely simpler.

1 Like

So the analogy is

Mini is much like the old car esc with a program card and the OSSR is like the vesc with its lovely interface and options and options.

1 Like

That’s actually a very apt analogy.

The OSRR 1.0 is programmed/configured very similarly to a VESC, with a number of configuration settings available.

3 Likes

Love it then. Expect some I want it now shit in the new year. Thanks for the splain.

1 Like

By this definition, couldn’t it be argued that the Mini isn’t
actually intended for dual receivers? Just because it can be used incorrectly/alternatively doesn’t mean that was the design intent.

You must purchase a separate receiver and then pair the transmitter to both, which is outside of the intended operation of the device. The mini doesn’t come with 2 receivers and instructions to pair it with both, does it?

I’d consider that a ‘hack’, so by the definition you’re proposing perhaps the mini doesn’t properly support dual receivers either.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Pointless argument.

What matters is that you’ve let people know that if they must have dual / multiple receivers, your OSSR remote can support that. You’ve defended your creation, now let the trolls be trolls, and don’t become one yourself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re 100% entitled to your opinion!

Thanks for chiming in.

Really, when a question is asked, answers are submitted, and then the goalposts are moved because the answers given aren’t preferred:

It’s fair to ask the question on previously submitted answers, as well as point out that goalpost moving is poor form in any debate.

Also I’m not sure if you picked this up, but I enjoy the debate, its a topic I’m perfectly comfortable discussing. Sorry you find it pointless.

3 Likes

@b264

7 Likes

Hey buddy, what is that you’ve got going on there?

2 Likes

Can you please do two Rx on one board, then turn off one Rx while applying throttle? That’s the use case I’m interested in, two Rx giving signal to both ESC at the same time, or with failover handling.

4 Likes

This coming Thursday is the only day I have free to check. But yes. I will for sure.

3 Likes

Thanks mate, if it can do that properly it’ll be awesome!

1 Like

What is your expectation of what will happen?

(I’ve actually done exactly this in testing)

2 Likes

My guess would be the system remains unaffected due to actual receiver redundancy. What actually happened?

2 Likes

Once the time-out period elapses, the disconnected ESC spins down. This would have varying impact on a rider depending on environment, inertia, board setup.

PS: @Zach @BillGordon could we please have the title reverted back to the original? I was told removal of the serious tag + changing titles to obfuscate the discussion at hand was a big no-no. Would be nice if we all played by the same rules.

2 Likes

You said the Rx’s are networkable, so hot failover would be my expectation of the capability (and also my hope).

2 Likes

The limitation there isn’t in the radios. The VESC itself isn’t going to switch between direct UART master & canbus slave as a hot failover.

Does that make sense? I can expand if needed

1 Like