Remote for diy board

I have a question about the vx2 remote. I cannot make my own post so I have to reply to others posts to ask. I have a dual fsesc 6.6 vesc on my board and tried connecting the remote for the first time last night. I updated the firmware, changed ppm to uart in all the places I could in the vesc tool, yet whenever I command my remote the wheels dont spin. Despite this, If i spin the wheels on the board I get a mph reading on the remote meaning the two are connected and sending data. I don’t know whats causing this and I can’t find anyone whos had the same issue. Please help!!

Have you tried using the vesc tool to detect your motors? If you go into setup motors foc you should see an option that says “advanced” and it’ll let you run an auto detection to see if your motors are properly connected or if the vesc is recognizing anything

This is an extreme solution to the problem but my vx2 had the hall effect sensor come off of the PCB.

I soldered it back on and it started working.

This is probably not the issue but could be…

That would be a last resort kind of thing…

Have you tried going through the input wizard.

Hmm unless I’m mistaken that vesc can use standard firmware. I would try upgrading to 5.2 or 5.3

You should also double check the wiring on the receiver. Vesc 4 and vesc 6 have different pins for uart

Do you know where I can get the firmware upgrade?

3.0.1 has the same settings as 3.0.0. Still don’t have more ways to program asside from only being able to have current

false. I think others have made the main points here, but…

If you spend the time to set up proper current settings and throttle settings for you, your board, and your remote, you won’t have to keep bumping it. you’ll be able to find a good position and hold it. And bonus: you won’t get tossed onto your face when you let off the throttle.

and yeah the VX2 when used as a UART remote doesn’t need any curve adjustment at all in my experience. It sounds like you should probably just turn your motor current and regen settings down a tad or play with them a bit to get them tuned.

1 Like

Wdym false. No matter how many times I program it it’ll kick up into full throttle even if you push it slightly. There’s no way to program it to go different speeds with current no reverse. It’s either 1 set speed or no speed at all

Does it do that on its back or while you’re on it? Are you using it in PWM mode? or in UART mode? Because what you are describing is a common failure in PWM mode when the receiver goes to shit, which is always possible,

Both. Putting weight on it anyway won’t make a difference. When I used a big ass rc remote with duty cycle I could control the the different speeds with no weight on it and with weight on it. It’s running under uart. The remote I have is literally just a hunk of junk

yeah it does sound like your remote is trash. When you used the big ass RC remote, did you try it with PWM?

It’s the flipsky vx2. You’d think an almost 100$ wireless remote would have at least some sort of variety and programmability to it but then again that’s flipsky for you

I ran with uart with the rc remote

1 Like

I don’t know of any esk8 remote that is out of beta testing that has “programmability” beyond setting speed mode parameters.

1 Like

Just didn’t wanna have a foot long controller in my hand while riding lol

1 Like

That’s kinda what I mean. But funny thing is, this remote has a high, low, and medium speed setting on the remote itself. But it literally does nothing to your speed it’s just there lol

you won’t get telemetry with the VX2 in PWM mode but would you be willing to humor us and use it in PWM mode with the ESC and possibly rule out an issue with your UART?

my favorite PWM remotes are the VX1 and Hoyt Puck, BTW.

Also, I’d talk to flip sky. Try getting it replaced. It could easily be an issue with the hardware like you’ve said.

I’ve talked with flipsky and they said themselves it actually does nothing it’s just there. But I will try with pwm mode give me a moment

If you program your vesc to any other mode than default (not set up, that is important) the VX2 will literally do nothing. Plug the receiver in an uart port, detect the motors over USB and then turn the remote on. Then everything will work. Even the speed modes. If it still does nothing something is broken, maybe try changing the UART port. I have a VX2 right here and I fiddled with it long enough to know how it works. Its a POS and its a bit jerky compared to the wand or a puck, but its still miles better than duty cycle control.

Edit:

Important: You need to turn the remote in a short time window AFTER you turned on the vesc on. If you wait to long, it may not connect, if you are to fast, it may not connect, and if you turn it on beforehand, it may not connect. You can see if it has connected if you get a battery reading from your board on its screen. Also it needs to be paired before you use it. Watch this video on how to do that and everything else.

1 Like