Remote by PotatoSkaters is (almost) here [SERIOUS]

This literally captures the essence of what we are trying to achieve. I use my board as my main short-mid distance city transportation device and I want this remote to achieve exactly that - pleasure to ride without thinking about it, just grab it and it’s second nature. And I feel like we are 90% is where we want it to be - ergonomics could be improved, at least around the trigger area.

I was previously riding VX1 and while it was pretty good but I would not want to go back after riding this one.

3 Likes

Our goal was to make the PCB’s of the remote as small as possible for a single reason - so anyone could take the internals and make any case they want around it. So while we know that we will do our best to make the most universal and ergonomic design we can, it won’t be able to cater to every single user / hand size / preferences. And for that reason we will be making the final internal component CAD files public, so anyone can easily design their own case around it.

1 Like

Seriously. Like a pack of wolves.

Welcome to the fray @practicalmike! Good luck on your projects! Love the design.

7 Likes

I do, but I’m a trigger man. Thumbwheels don’t interest me as much, especially without an “invert direction” option where rolling toward body is throttle and away from body is brake.

only if it’s Qi compatible and standards-based though

1 Like

Is this UART or SERVO or both?

Does it pair to multiple receivers?

Can/is the deadman switch [be] a second channel?

Can UART and SERVO modes be used simultaneously?

The Hoyt remote is $200 and was also unproven and new , we still jumped on it. If this remote works , I would gladly take it as a backup UART remote.

2 Likes

according to their website, it should, and up to 5 receivers…how many receivers u planning to stuff in ur board lol

1 Like

Let’s not put them in the same basket. Quality of components used is not comparable

Probably no more than 2 in the board and one on the helmet

3 Likes

Actually I think that answers half of the question in a sense? It will pair to 5 receivers. But can it stay connected to more than 1 simultaneously?

1 Like

I would imagine most people don’t need the remote to connect to 2 (or more) receivers at once, but if using 2 or more receivers can be a fail safe connection, like how @b264 does with the mini, then why not

And even with these high end components the remote still had its issues early on: the receiver not paying well on the cold (though one could argue that could happen to any reciever) and the throttle pins breaking when dropped directly on in the early editions.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be skeptical. But I don’t see the point of critiquing the price of a $150 remote concept when the community jumped on a $200 remote where it’s only promising feature was its secure connectivity.

Now mind you I love the Hoyt remote. I was one of the first to inquire about it and bought it even before the group buy.

1 Like

I’m critiquing with my personal values and opinions. Not those of the community. I consider the hoyt higher up with its construction and components. But don’t get me wrong. I didn’t buy into the hoyt hype either :wink:

2 Likes

$99 for a plastic Hoyt Puck.

€150, that’s over $175 USD.

4 Likes

Can you link me the remote with the receiver ? I only see $99 for just the replacement puck

I envy the day we have a single earth international currency. Though I guess we’ll competing against Martian and Belter currency

1 Like

that will never happen, w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶r̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶/̶ ̶g̶o̶v̶e̶r̶n̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶i̶s̶s̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶

sorry for the derail

2 Likes

Really wanna argue for a 15$ receiver added?

That would make the potato 60$ more expensive. For software integration and a tiny screen you won’t be able to read on the go?
1 Like

Ah I was looking at this listing :

I stupidly didn’t look to the listing on the right.

Though I can still argue the case that the nylon pucks weren’t available in the beginning which we’re talking about. But then it’s just going to go on and on. Agree to disagree ?

1 Like

In any case, I’m left handed. All these cool features, buttons and screen will piss me off :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

This part irks me a bit. Software cost things. There just as valuable as the Material component and adds value as well. It’s nonsense to disregard it as just one small component when it’s one of its contributing features

3 Likes