Remote by PotatoSkaters is (almost) here [SERIOUS]

Does anyone care about the wireless charging? :thinking:

1 Like

its always better to have it included, and user can have a choice of using it or not, just like in a phone. but only if it doesn’t cost too much for that, and Qi compatible

just my 2c

3 Likes

@practicalmike Maybe have a look at the photon remote. It has failed but had great things implemented like light control
Deadman button had 3 options that could also be switched between a press and hold or toggle press:
Cruise control
Deadman
Reverse

1 Like

I heard black market leavers are about 500usd ya know ? So you need just a 1/3 off a leaver to buy one

1 Like

(Fair enough, need to double check my spelling)
If you class you’re contreband organs by alphabetical order, they seat exactly half way between them

I live next to voice of America tower and it fucks with my cars fm radio when I drive past. I wonder what would happen if I skated by :thinking:

2 Likes

Oh jeez, last time i tried out a new remote I almost fucking died in SF.

But I’m down to test

Also, I’d like to rank you as probably the best new vendor so far when it comes to handling these questions and comments. Really well done, professional, and concise. Hopefully one day, you’ll become an actual part of the community and tickle each other’s bums BMS’s

Edit: typo

10 Likes

So great until the last line. We have a high-class reputation to keep, friendo.

6 Likes

Sorry typo, I fixed it

6 Likes

Let’s hope this is not the case :grimacing:. Anyhow, we will definitely have a slowdown on disconnect as a safety feature and we’ll be logging the stats when we ship out the remotes so we can have some hard facts.

Thanks of the kind words! I must admit, that was a freaking amazing “typo” :joy:

Nice discrete design. I like the thumbwheel. I also enjoy potatoes.

1 Like

Is the thumbwheel a potentiometer or hall-sensor?

It a potentiometer based joystick, like on the VX1 and some other remotes. If there’s real need, we might switch to hall sensor but for now we wanted to limit things that could go wrong during production to make sure we can actually deliver it on budget and in time.

1 Like

have u tried to throw the remote thumbwheel facing ground and see at what speed the potentiometer will break?

1 Like

Uhm… we definitely haven’t but we can try. But even then, if this appears to be an issue that people are concerned with - we will definitely make sure to sell replacement joysticks that can be swapped out if such damage.

I would say that I treat my equipment quite roughly and this remote hasn’t been an exception. A proper fall on directly on the joystick would definitely cause some issues but again - we are not really making the most durable remote and we will make sure to sell replacement for all the components that might go bad. We do not want to sell a remote that becomes e-waste if one component fails.

3 Likes

user serviceable is a big thing :+1:t2: keep it up guy, this looks promising

btw, I was just joking about the throwing part, but shit happens when we ride u know…

4 Likes

I think this looks really nice guys! Remotes are deffo an area where we need more quality options

8 Likes

My consent is you pricing you self at the bottom end of premium remotes but useing cheep components eg small screens cheep joysticks and that’s what I can see at a glance.

I feel you do better making some savings and dropping the price for the people that want x feature at a good price or using some more premium parts so it feels more quality for the people that say there riding a board that’s over a grand and don’t skimp on remotes quality.

That’s just my observation to what’s backed on the forum

How much side to side play is in the wheel and how smooth intuitive is the movement that’s

The side buttons position look slapped on the side because there’s were thay ended up on the PCB lay out not Ergonomically positioned same with the battry must be a lot of wasted space inside of you use a flat PCB board and just stick a battry on the side.

Rember you asked for feed back and thay are my initial conserns with out having one in hand I could be completely wrong. there is a lot of development in remotes happening that will soon be a highly competitive market.

2 Likes

I feel the same-same I really don’t care about misc. features… except

wheelie mode

make your remote bullet-proof as you can both in radio link and in build quality, ergonomic as possible, with a decent sized battery, make it feel and act as an extension of your hand, something a pleasure to operate without even thinking about it…

a lousy, loose throttle feel would make me hate this remote no matter how many features you have

2 Likes

That is kind of what we are exactly aiming for - providing all the features in a package that skips on “aluminum & carbon fiber” but doesn’t feel cheap. We chose a small screen to keep the remote small and battery drain low. There are other remotes with large color screens if that’s your jam. We chose joystick for simplicity in manufacturing (less to go wrong) and it’s easy to replace. And yes, it’s cheap but there are ton of remotes that use it and it feels great.

As mentioned, we are hoping that final pricing is going to be less than that. We are just trying to set realistic expectations.

As I mentioned in the video - the thumbwheel feels solid. We will make sure that it’s smooth and with no side play. We know that it’s literally the most important part of the remote and it must feel good.

That’s not entirely true. We positioned the display so that it would be always visible when using the remote. There was a limit to how far up we can push it due to the joystick / throttle. We positioned the buttons right below the display because they wouldn’t make sense to be above the display. Additionally, the buttons are positioned in a way, that if you would need to switch the dashboard to a different view while riding, you can do that with the middle finger. See this image:

Right now the battery you saw in the picture was just one that we had around. There’s lot’s of empty space right now in the battery side and we are planning to cram it with the largest battery we can fit there. The only component that’s slightly in the way is the OLED connector:

Hopefully I addressed most of them. It’s totally fair to be skeptical on a brand new project like this ;).

6 Likes