Reinventing the wheel

This. :arrow_up:

2 Likes

Could not have said it better. :smiley: Fatter tires look wayyy nicer though.

1 Like

Why does everyone race on wide wheels? I assumed it had to do with grip.

1 Like

It does, to an extend. There is a lot of math involved to get the perfect contact patch, and you can not go bigger = better. :smiley:

Here is a short video on the concept.

While you’re at it you could watch the whole series, it’s very interesting. :slight_smile:

Essentially race cars have wider tires because they have A LOT more downforce (pressure) than your normal street car (or board in our case).

3 Likes

I love nerding out on F1 so I probably will watch the whole thing.

1 Like

Learned this the hard way. Saw the phenomenon in action. Detailed here:

2 Likes

Exactly. This is why my winter tyres on my car is 215 wide, and summer tyres are 245. :smiley:

3 Likes

For a more extreme visual example, check out the snow tires used in rally. Super thin to cut through snow and grip ground rather than just compact snow on the surface, where there’s no grip.

7 Likes

Lol next up we gonna see an esk8 with a razor scooter wheel on it

2 Likes

Honestly that’s the vibe I get when I look at 10" Bajaboard wheels. They’re very nearly bicycle wheels

5 Likes

Ok. I am starting to understand more about tire dynamics. Let’s focus more on tires for the more typical street riding. The reason most people want to rider wide tires is to improve turning grip, overall stability at speed and comfort. As tires get wider and larger, there will be a point where you actually hurt performance instead of adding to it.

The question I have is, are we wide enough already? Does making tires wider than the standard 6x2" actually make sense for the majority of riders? Would it be better to optimize the design and materials used in a tire (stiffer sidewalls, profiles, rubber compounds). Also, would it be worthwhile having different tires for different weight riders?

3 Likes

IMO yes. We’re mostly using tires designed for wheelchairs, wheelbarrows, and scooters. There’s already a huge amount of innovation present in bicycling that could be directly carried over, but there’s no market for it and thus even some of the better tires we have like the Kenda K909 are designed for low speed without regard for things like efficiency or grip, because a wheelchair doesn’t need those things.

6 Likes

Innova made the Berg/haggy tires.

I shot them an email to see if they still have the mold lol

2 Likes

Not sure if its worth bringing them back…

I wore them to bare threads very quickly and with a lot of dead tubes.

2 Likes

You mean standard 150x50?

1 Like

YARN | How much do you weigh? | Batman (1989) Thriller | Video clips by quotes | 3b89a323 | 紗

I am half as heavy as @DerelictRobot , so 85kg :innocent:

2 Likes

At least you didn’t say it in stones

2 Likes

Jeez, Andwu went on a diet?

1 Like

So to get the same hub diameter to tire sidewall ratio as bergs with a 3.75"/95mm hub you would have to use a 200mm/8" tire.

1 Like