Regular Michael's Smart BMS to LiPo Connection Walkthough

Hello Folks,

One of the things that got to me early on when getting into esk8 was how a simple process of connecting a smart BMS to a couple of 6S LiPo cells should be and the number of forum posts that covered this topic in a complex way. So while there are a few great posts going around tackling this subject I wanted to put my own spin on it in an effort to see if I can simplify things a little.

I’ve included a circuit diagram and a video walkthrough of me doing this process live! Yep, you get to see my ugly ass mug :slight_smile:

And yes before you pick it up - I did forget to fuse the charge port @b264 :slight_smile:

YouTube Walkthrough

12 Likes

consider this bookmarked

2 Likes

Haha nice man I thought of making a video about this eventually but haven’t gotten to it

2 Likes

If you do I’m sure your video editing skills will blow mine right out the water :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

Hahah well that’s not what it’s about :joy:

You delivered the point and information logically and in a structured way and a lot of people don’t do that

2 Likes

That a nice video. Well explained!
I‘m doing the same with my Lipos if I’m traveling and don’t want to take my huge balance Charger with me. I have the bms externally thou, so saving some extra grams on weight and can just use it on different packs when ever needed.
One thing I like on the smart bms is that I can set the cut off voltage to 3.9V per cell. That’s about the right voltage that the lipo pack will sit at 3.8V per cell after the charger is disconnected when I want to put the pack in storage voltage. It’s not balancing at 3.8V, just cut off, but that’s in most cases totally fine for me. Takes away that constantly checking the voltage to manually stop/switch off the charger when storage voltage is reached.

3 Likes