Reducing weight in ESK8

The t2 tyres are heavier 13120 - 9" MBS T2 Tires (ea.) — MBS.COM
Do you mean t3?
What prototype deck you have there? :innocent:

Whoops - yup I meant the t3

Hmm honestly I don’t know anything about it haha. I’ll post pictures once I get it and start a build thread but I don’t really know anything about its origins. :grin:

1 Like

MBS t3 are flat tire machines. They are thin tires that are also very damn soft. Carry a complete spare with you.

1 Like

I think tires can be a hard place to save weight without compromising performance.

1 Like

ASA25 chains and sprockets are OK with 12S 6374 builds. I have one with ALU wheel sprockets (made by Willozboard at the time). It makes a really light drive.

1 Like

Do you know what the chains and sprockets weigh in at?

Tubeless tires seems the obvious direction to go for weight savings with the tire/wheel.

1 Like

This would be nice, but I assume just like mountain bike tubeless tires you see heavier tires and need some sealant which offsets the 80g weight savings from no tube

I think the sealant is mostly relevant at lower tire pressures, and as a preventative.

And I think probably the easiest way to execute tubeless with Eskate is with a bead lock design, which can deal with any pressure without sealant.
So bolting the hub halves together actually locks onto the bead.

2 Likes

Going to throw one more thing out, but its wishful thinking.
We’ll see how many decades it is before this is reality, but…

Superconductor motor windings, like say, carbon nanotubes.
1/15th the weight of copper, a fraction of the volume.

3 Likes

I want to try the new haero esk8 deck with boardnamics 270 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Before we go into more exotic materials, there are a bunch of cheaper options to save weight.

Fiber-reinforced plastic wheels are lighter than aluminum and have very similar performance. Whittle weight away from parts that are big and chunky. Tubeless wheels. Fiber-reinforced anti-sink plates. Maybe a really well designed carbon fiber deck/enclosure.

1 Like

Aluminum motor pulley would be about 35% the weight of steel, but wear out faster. On a 50g pulley, you’d save 32.5g per pulley, or 65g total for a 2wd board.

Titanium is 57% the weight of steel, so you’d 21.5g per pulley, and 43g total for 2wd board.

It would be nice place to save a few grams.

1 Like

i saved 0.05g when going from plastic valve cap to titanium valve cap per wheel, so that’s 0.2g whole board

1 Like

Man, wait until you see my board with no valve caps

2 Likes

It’s a good idea, but even with the nylon baseplate, the m2 end up about the same weigt as the new m3 trucks. Stock metal M2 are 900g.

Took me 2 years to wear out aluminum pulley fwiw

2 Likes

worth quite a lot tbh - aluminum it is. Do you have a link for your pulley of choice?

Sorry I don’t :melting_face:

1 Like

I think certain aluminum alloys are significantly more wear resistant than others based on their elemental composition and heat treatment. Another option is to add a highly wear-resistant coating. Hard anodize?

1 Like