Reducing weight in ESK8

Hey guys,

As time goes on our boards are getting heavier and heavier. Some of my ESK8 friends have talked to me about boards starting to get too heavy.

Cycling is a sport where serious weight reduction has occurred over the last 30 years. Now there are road bikes weighing less than 12lbs.

Tomiboi and Tanuki are working on lightweight wheels. Nothing we can do about batteries until solid state or another technology comes along.

Where else can we reduce weight without compromising strength and safety? Trucks? Decks? Motors?

Let’s start brainstorming. Maybe some of our ideas will become a reality!

14 Likes

Hah

I mean it’s worthy thinking of but I feel like the answer is hardly anything can be done to reduce unless a lot of stuff moves to CF

I guess at the end of the day, who cares, what’s the benefit in reducing weight

Until we have some miracle technology, less batt weight, less range

1 Like

I’m making enclosures from GF that are 2mm thick, they weigh about 1/3 of a normal eBoardsPeru enclosure, roughly.

Though the biggest factor for weight is the rider. Want to get a few more km out of you board? Start hitting the gym. :grin:

19 Likes

That’s a pretty significant weight reduction. Imagine what a lighter board could do for a person who is using it as a last mile solution.

Forged carbon fiber? Could that be used for some parts?

Maybe, although there are many boards with that now and I’m not sure how much it’s saving weight as much as looking cool

Personally, I’ve found light wheels to perform worse than heavy ones, because it allows tire imbalance to wobble more

Yeah, but they are also a lot less sturdy. I could make them from CF though, but that would drive up the price.

That’s why balancing pneumatics is so important. Even with heavy hubs.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s physics. Emphasizes the importance of balancing pneumatics.

I guess it depends on your tolerance for durability. Sure those bikes are <12lb, but they’re also really fragile. My brother broke a bike frame running over a storm drain, and it wasn’t even that light at 1500g. For a skate example, Trampa’s Vertigo trucks were lighter versions of the Infinity trucks, and they also bent far more easily. Same with Kaly’s thin ABS enclosures vs the Flux ones. Lighter motors with less iron and copper also means less power and heat tolerance.

Otherwise, the deck is probably a good place to start. You’re only standing on two spots, no need to have all the extra deck in the middle, and wood is heavy.

9 Likes

I’m all for reducing weight as a lighter rider, but really for a MTB where terrain makes it more difficult. Not sure about the benefits of it in street boards, where the only benefit is carrying it… Especially as they are designed to be ridden!!

6 Likes

Skip breakfast. Go naked.

20 Likes

Don’t forget to also take a shit before you go ride lmao

13 Likes

sounds like you need to hit the gym :wink:

2 Likes

Lol thats exactly why i made the TUUB. It was a 54" deck with no flex that weighed ~2.6kg using the magical power of tubularity. Not very crash resistant though, being hollow and whatnot. The carrying advantage for that deck was more about being able to shoulder hoist it rather than just the weight, tbh

The deck between your feet does create torsional stiffness though, which is another important reason for a tubular deck. If you try to cut out the middle of a plank deck, or even just make a thinner deck with CF skin, you lose that stability. The amount of bias cloth needed to make it back mostly negates the weight savings in wood.

It could shave about 40% off of things like hangers (compared to aluminum) if replicated one to one, but any place with concentrated stress like a bolt mount would need to get beefed up a bit.

3 Likes

1500g is not light at all for a frame. Defective or dropped frame?

Lightweight without a certain amount of durability is just not worth it.

Deck’s are pretty chunky. Sounds like a pretty good place to start.

2 Likes

Reduce the battery size. Our boards usually have overkill range. If you just build a battery for the distance you plan on riding, then that can significantly cut down your weight.

Like who tf needs 60+ km range on a board? How do your feet last that long?

Adding to this, compact, silent, fast chargers would nullify the problem of reduced battery.

Adding some more… convenient swappable batteries cut weight. They allow you to take just as many batteries, and just as much weight as you need to get to your destination. You can cut battery weight for short distances and add weight for long distances.

12 Likes

Batteries have to be the biggest weight reduction there is. I have heard the Lipo brick packs used for RC cars are lighter but are more tricky to charge.

Absolutely Me. There comes a point where the soles of your feet become a bit desensitised and then the board becomes an extension of your legs. It’s like achieving nirvana.

…but I’d love to be able to swap out the pack for something smaller on certain occasions. Couldn’t agree more.

8 Likes

Well that included the carbon fork, without it’s probably closer to 1000g, which isn’t bad for an alloy bike. Never dropped, the storm drain hit it in a way that it kinked one of the rear frame tubes, and you can’t repair alloy (or CF for that matter).

30 miles is minimum comfortable range for me personally. Anything smaller and I’ll kill it from hills, acceleration, or normal riding

I don’t want to have to worry about it running out or having to charge

Then again I don’t really care if it’s heavy, I only carry it for like 1 minute

7 Likes