Reducing weight in ESK8

That would be a total game changer!

Phantom Khomingulators

3 Likes

Reducing the size of the battery is probably the easiest way to reduce weight. Like it was mentioned, range anxiety is real. So a potential solution is to increase the efficiency of how we use battery power.

Wheel weight is the most obvious place to start since accelerating a heavy wheel and rolling resistance can eat power.

Anything that can reduce rotating weight would probably make a difference. High efficiency. Less battery needed.

3 Likes

That’s a good idea.

Rolling resistance has far more to do with power consumption than weight. Somewhere on here, someone shared a chart of some kind of power consumption comparison of wheels, but really I think if you want to raise efficiency the answer is harder wheels. The inertia only gets you while accelerating, and with regen braking, some of that is made up for on deceleration, but rolling resistance is always there.

3 Likes

Well, I’d still put losing 5 lbs of body weight as the easiest way to reduce weight. Don’t bring a backpack. Buy a lighter helmet, minimal pads. But as for the board, we can definitely do more to compare weights during purchasing. Almost no one (except @moon), seems to mention or care much about component weights. If the community values weight as a purchasing criteria, we’ll see more manufacturers taking that variable into account.

My weight analysis:

Actively compare energy density of battery options before purchase. Compare wheel weights. Compare deck weights.

Some interesting findings from my thread:

• the Haero Bro is significantly lighter than similar Trampa decks
  • Trampa has the lightest pneu hubs
  • Tire size matters greatly (of course)
  • Moon’s gear drive is lighter than most belt drive systems & other gear drives
  • We generally way oversize our motors, which is a huge source of weight - 6354s should be the default for most people
  • Leave the BMS off the board entirely, save ~100g. Keep it at home attached to the charger.
  • Huge variability in the weight of enclosures.
7 Likes

I’ve thought about making this question its own topic.
What would it take got get tubeless tires?

The heaviest part of my latest mountainboard (non-motorized) was easily the wheels. Eliminating the tubes I think could not only give better rolling resistance but also save nearly a lb in weight. Which would make my mountainboard lighter than some of my longboards.

2 Likes

This really depends on how one rides and what motor current. I run 100a on my 6384’s and have still gotten them to almost 70 degrees

1 Like

True. If I looks at motors compared to riding style/aggressiveness of the people in the group rides I attend, many people are over motored. I myself usually don’t go faster than 25mph. My next build will be using 6455 140kv motors.

Definitively could be less rolling resistance without tubes… Same is seen in bicycles. Less rotating weight would be nice too, especially with all the accelerating MTBs do.

Working to shave 3kg from my moonbug build. Its not simple - so far I have redesigned most of my parts and made some new ones to try and hit the goal

3 Likes

scooter tyres

3 Likes

Are there any small ones though? The only ones I’ve been able to find are either 10"+, or are labeled tubeless because they are also airless.

There are 8.5 inch scooter tires. The kaly XLR uses them. Look harder :stuck_out_tongue:
210x75 i believe

nvm theyre not tubeless :frowning:

Facts

Are they actually tubeless? I haven’t seen any mention of it anywhere, and when I look up the 8.5x3" tires it uses they all include tubes?

No they aren’t as far as I know. I have a set and they’re def tubes haha

Link please.

That is like in F1. Revolution started when motor block was part of frame. That was great idea.

1 Like

Our deck and enclosure together weigh under 2kg without the aluminium brackets, and with them the total weight is about 3kg for a board that comfortably fits 12S6P 2170. We’ve done our best to reduce weight without compromising performance and we certainly could have made a lighter deck, but in the early days we decided to trade weight for the suspension system as it’d be worth the tradeoff. In design there is always tradeoffs you have to make. If you go to heaps of effort to make a board lighter it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll end up with one that is better overall. Something that we are really focusing on which we do have more control over is where the weight is located. We are really focused on making lighter wheels and motor mounts to reduce inertia on the part of the board that moves the most, as well as keeping the battery centralised down the middle of the deck close to its pivot axis to reduce inertia there as well. If you place weight carefully you can minimise its effect on handling

11 Likes