Redstar | DIY onewheel

That’s great to know! Although, based on the data it might end up being just a bit too little without delta termination, and just a bit too much with it :grimacing: It will be interesting to see if the different versions you have actually are different, if so it would be a huge plus.

It’s not terribly hard after wrapping your head around which goes where
This picture helped me, I put little dabs of marker on each of the wire bundles originally going to the center point in the “star” connection, and basically went “W2 goes to L1, U2 goes to L2, V2 goes to L3…”
wye-delta

And it doesn’t matter which wire you call which as long as you are consistent, f.ex yellow wire going to motor is L1, green is L2 and blue is L3.

1 Like

I got the 36V, My brother ordered but didn’t receive the 24V or 48V volt. Can’t remember. Should be able to tell if there is a difference between the two.

I was hitting near 75% duty cycle limit briefly a few times and that was at ~15 mph. Which feels way more reckless then the onewheel XR at 16-18 mph :smiley: Got to keep up on the tuning and get some trust in the funwheel!

Can’t really ride it in the grass though, doesn’t seem to have enough torque… Can anyone with the 600W wheel ride around in the grass?

2 Likes

Waiting eagerly on your result!

The Redstar went about 24 kmh (~15 mph) when delta-modified on the 10s battery, what made me go to 12S was not really more speed, but more stability at that speed. Getting closer to the top end there’s very little torque available for balancing if anything happens. I dragged the tail after getting startled by pushback and there just being not enough torque to compensate. Even if I don’t dare to ride at higher speeds, it’s much more solid with the 12S pack.

I can kinda-sorta ride in the grass granted it’s not too bumpy, although torque is lacking. I have 85 motor amps max, but lower torque/amp due to the delta mod. As long as I keep going and it’s flat everything is fine, uphill and stopping in a depression won’t go too well.

I’m also thinking of maybe getting the 800W version, putting a temperature sensor in it and cranking up the current until something gives problems. Likely cooling of the focbox in my case, might need a metal contact. I guess I’d go for the 24V version for good measure.

I put the motor current up to 80Amp and that helped some of the low end. Motor never really seemed to get that hot even with that. From the log the 80A only happens in a split second. I did trip the max current fault at 100A some of the time on start. I had to bump that to 120A.

On the cheap Foccer v2 mounted to aluminum 1/4" bottom plate, mosfet temp got up to 50C when I was trying over and over on the grass. In normal riding it was about 40C.

My focbox has reached 70C when testing uphill performance, it’s completely encased in plastic due to waterproofing.

The reason I want the temp sensor is that one time when riding with too low tire pressure, I managed to burp some air out of there in a turn and unseat the tire. The air within the tire was extremely hot, while the endcaps of the motor were barely warm. There’s something like 3 cm of air between the caps and the stator in the 600W version so there’s really no way to touch the actually hot bits. I worry how hot it actually gets.

Any chance of you opening up the 800W? I’d be really interested to see how much longer the stator is!

3 Likes

Just to add in case you end up doing it, this right here is where the windings meet, this needs to be opened up and the three bundles connected to the incoming phase wires

I used some 10 gauge wire to wrap around the solder inside those protective tubes where the incoming phase wires are soldered to the other ends of the bundles.

3 Likes

not gonna lie i feel retarded

3 Likes

Yes, that’s phase 1 in the process of building one of these :innocent:

6 Likes

Really surprised that it’s struggling in grass my hooverboard onewheel with stock esc handels grass etc just fine :confused:

4 Likes

Can’t wait to build one of these myself. 2020 extrusion frame definitely seems like the way to go as well.

2 Likes

I should take a video of it on grass, I can ride around fine but one definitely needs to keep in mind there’s less spare torque available :sweat_smile:

I’ve ordered a phub-188 48V 800W and will definitely open it up to measure and photo. I also have a phub-144 48V 600W coming as well. Ordered the 144 as it uses a 6" tire like the actual Onewheel and there are a lot of tire options for the 6" whereas I can’t seem to find any 5.5" tires other than from Pei. Would be nice to find some more 5.5" tire options.

EDIT: Decided to see what if there is a listed rim diameter for the phub-188 and Pei lists it as 150mm which in imperial comes out to 5.9". Not sure where they measure from whether it is the diameter at the bead mount or the diameter of the lip of the rim. If the actual diameter is closer to 6", might be able to fit a 6" tire. Just happen to have a Burris 11x6-6 treaded tire coming. So whenever the phub-188 comes in, will try to mount the 6" tire to it.

2 Likes

Awesome!! I was hoping someone would put a high quality tire on a cheap phub.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if anyone answered, but is there a theoric advantage/disadvantage of the motor being 24v/36v or 48V given the same wattage? (in a perfect world where no other factor is different)

1 Like

Usually the rated voltage has to do with the KV and MAX rpm.

1 Like

So lower V means lower kV => more torque? or iḿ realy that bad a understanding motors?

1 Like

Kv = rpm / volts

Lower KV means more low end Torque

Then the maximum voltage is whatever the motor is rated to spin at / KV

PEIPEISCOOTER likes to add options for voltage but they don’t do anything btw

Yeah, the information from Pei is very confusing on what is actually being delivered. Aliexpress makes it even more confusing because they have quantities available and as the option for voltage changes, the number of available items changes as well so it makes it sound like there are different units for changing voltage. This is counter to what people have actually received. Has it been determined if changing wattage actually changes the delivered product?

The 800W “48V” that I ordered is more expensive on Aliexpress. All 800W options are $115 where the lower wattage units are $109.

Don’t know if others have noticed, but Pei has two different URLs. peiscooter.com and www.peipeiscooter.com. They have different options and pricing between the two URLs for the phub-188. Both URLs have the same contact phone number but the contact emails are slightly different.
https://www.peipeiscooter.com/10inch-10-inch-10x6-00-5-5-wide-tyre-brushless-gearless-dc-wheel-hub-motor-balance-scooter-hub-motor-hally-motor-phub-188.html
https://peiscooter.com/10inch-10-inch-10x6-5-5-wide-tubeless-tyre-brushless-gearless-dc-wheel-hub-motor-balance-scooter-hub-motor-hally-motor-phub-188.html

3 Likes