Rat | Kicktail | 6S1P | Dual 6354 | Mini Foc+ | DIY Wheels

Exactly which glue or adhesive was used for this?

Same as last time you asked :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I think I left some brain cells at the bar last night

5 Likes

Forgotten update…

After 1400km the rubber had worn down. One side started making a slight flapping noise so I teared if off since the cushiness was gone anyway.

I don’t recommend this to anyone because…
-the short lifespan of the rubber.
-the effort and precision needed to get it right
-it’s quite dumb

So obviously I made a new set yesterday… :rofl:

20 Likes

“After 1400km the rubber had worn down.” - You know this is still more range than most other hipster thanes (i.e Cloudwheels)

2 Likes

If someone were going to do this anyway, what are the gotchas that you’d recommend they watch out for? The things you’d tell yourself before you started, if you could time travel.

3 Likes

That’s untrue. Clouds can go thousands of kilometers.

1 Like

some can, not most.

@b264
If I could travel back in time I would tell myself this

-Do it for the experiment that it is, not because you think you will invent a new revolutionary eskate wheel.

-range will be 20-30% less

-free rolling will be worse than you think

-it’s a softer ride than you expect.

-Tires on rear wheels will wear out a lot faster than you expect compared to the front wheels

-you think you have cut the pieces in perfect length but they always end up 0,5cm too long when gluing them into place

-If the tire piece is too long, you might get an air bubble somewhere between tire and thane. Rolling on that bubble could force the tire and thane to come apart (I think)

-clean the wheels before glueing.

-avoid overhang since it will interfere with the belt

-those extra 4mm of ground clearance you get from the tires strips will actually help a lot for the belt lifetime if using 83mm wheels.

-easy to rip off I you change your mind

Not sure what to say more. It was a surprisingly somewhat successful experiment. I will see how it works out with the boa100 for my Lamboardhini

10 Likes

This is super useful. Thank you.

3 Likes

This is one of my favorite boards on this forum. Such an awesome short board :call_me_hand:

What’s the total weight of the board?

2 Likes

Haha thanks, there is a lot of heart but into it :grin:
It weighs 8kg. I wish it was lighter to be honest.

-Skate season is soon coming to an end here for me :frowning:

I have been running field weakening for some time now.

• 30A field weakening current got me 5km/h higher top speed. So from 38 to 43km/h.

• I mostly never go faster than 35kmh when commuting but it is nice to be able to.

• A bonus using field weakening is that I can have duty cycle current lim start = 100% without getting that sudden drop in torque when reaching top speed. It’s a smooth acceleration all the way now.

8 Likes

Interested if the math for the circumference of the wheel matched up with the tread length you ended up with.

One other thought is maybe if you sanded the wheels to a very very slight concave you could get better range with a little bit less grip, which I would guess you have plenty of.

2 Likes

Since the bike tire strip is not flat, I need to stretch it a bit when rolling the wheel onto it. This always put me in a situation where I have 2-3mm of excess material in the end. It’s really difficult to get a perfect sized strip not needed any modification once glued in place.

Interesting thought… now I may have to try that :nerd_face:

2 Likes