Raptor owners scavenge grounds

Batteries probably unbalanced so that’s an easy one, you might want to swap the fuse on the switch as well. Rando shut downs sounds like DRV errors maybe.

1 Like

Given water damage it could be anything. You’ll have to start from the beginning of the power cycle at the battery. Remove the wrap, check all the cells, make sure there’s no corrosion, the battery not fully charging could be a clue that there is a dead cell or some other issue. Once the battery is fixed and button’d up, replace the BMS altogether. Even without water damage they tend to fail. D140 fits in the bay perfectly. Change the discharge fuse or forget about it altogether, then diagnose the focboxes one at a time, check their logs to make sure there is no errors being logged, visually inspect the PCB fully, no corrosion etc. The motors most likely survived, they don’t care about water so much.

2 Likes

Hey all. I was searching old forum posts and found a post from “the previous forum.” It was posted there by a user by the name of AlphaMail back in Dec 17’. With all the development on the new wheels here, I figured it would be good information to bring over to here in order to have a backup in case of failure or ,at the very least, to just help with getting these new batch of wheels going from @jeffwuneo (by the way, thank you so so much for attempting to help our poor souls @jeffwuneo!!! You are a god among men for your sacrifices)

Looking into this post I found, they have an active site and seem somewhat legit. Just another possible option that may help make all this possible, I hope :sweat_smile:

Heres the website I found associated with the post below:

https://www.riptidesports.com/

Here is the post I found:

"Good morning, I am the President of RipTide Sports Inc. and we would like to offer our capabilities to make custom parts out of urethane using our open molding process. As you may know, urethanes offer characteristic that can be modified to suit the product requirement of your design as described below. Please email me directly at brad@riptidesports.com if you would like to confidentially discuss you idea for a new product.

Polyurethane Advantages
Wide Range of Hardness
The classification of hardness for polyurethane relies on the prepolymer’s molecular structure can be manufactured from 20 SHORE A to 85 SHORE D

High Load Bearing Capacity
Polyurethane has a high load capacity in both tension and compression. Polyurethane may undergo a change in shape under a heavy load, but will return to its original shape once the load is removed with little compression set in the material when designed properly for a given application.

Flexibility
Polyurethanes perform very well when used in high flex fatigue applications. Flexural properties can be isolated allowing for very good elongation and recovery properties.

Abrasion & Impact Resistance
For applications where severe wear prove challenging, polyurethanes are an ideal solution even at low temperatures.

Tear Resistance
Polyurethanes possess high tear resistance along with high tensile properties.

Resistance to Water, Oil & Grease
Polyurethane’s material properties will remain stable (with minimal swelling) in water / oil / grease. Polyether compounds will last many years in subsea applications.

Electrical Properties
Polyurethanes exhibit good electrical insulating properties.

Wide Resiliency Range
Resilience is generally a function of hardness. For shock-absorbing elastomer applications, low rebound compounds are usually used i.e. resilience range of 10-40%. For high frequency vibrations or where quick recovery is required, compounds in the 40-65% resilience are used. In general, toughness is enhanced by high resilience.

Strong Bonding Properties
Polyurethane bonds to a wide range of materials during the manufacturing process. These materials include other plastics, metals, and wood. This property makes polyurethane an ideal material for wheels, rollers, and inserts.

Performance in Harsh Environments
Polyurethane is very resistant to temperature extremes, meaning harsh environmental conditions and many chemicals will not cause material degradation.

Mold, Mildew & Fungus Resistance
Most polyether based polyurethanes do not support fungal / mold / mildew growth and are therefore highly suitable for tropical environments and FDA applications. Special additives can also be added to reduce this in polyester materials as well.

Color Ranges
Varying color pigments can be added to polyurethane in the manufacturing process. Ultraviolet shielding can be incorporated into the pigment to provide better color stability in outdoor applications.

Economical Manufacturing Process
Polyurethane is often used to manufacture one-off parts, prototypes or high volume, repeat production runs. Size ranges vary from a couple grams to 2000lb parts.

Short Production Lead Times
Compared to conventional thermoplastic materials polyurethane has a relatively short lead time with significantly more economical tooling costs."

A followup post done by AlphaMail:

" …we don’t have a minimum order quantity. Every project is judged on it individual merits and we are happy to determine if it can be made using our process and what it will cost to do. The normal way we proceed is to take a look at the part in a 3d file, if it looks like a suitable product that we can make out of urethane, we have you make a 3d print model or we can have it done for you, we then make a proto mold from the 3d male part and reproduce it in urethane for testing functionality as well as fit and finish. From there, if it is a product you want us to make for you to sell we can produce production tooling and provide you with production quantities at an agreed upon rate."

(edit) Here is his profile in case there is some trouble reaching him. He seems pretty active on the forum too:

3 Likes

Yeah mate he’s here too @RipTideSports

3 Likes

OH! I should have done more homework haha. Thats good news!!! Hope we can find a path to more wheels and more riding, together!!! @Pottsy

Sometimes I wonder: what was the plan with these sleeves, to just sell as much as possible like the ink from printers? I mean, the whole setup is there to get an income from sleeve replacements right? Luckily I don’t like conspiracy shit though.

3 Likes

That would have required them to actually sell the sleeves

3 Likes

:joy::upside_down_face:

1 Like

We have PU ready soon.

6 Likes

Nice Jeff!
Any thoughts so far? Do you think going for 100mm or 90mm still on the table?

I think we can do both.

5 Likes

About the raptor motor heat, why does it get so hot? What’s it’s not-load current draw at full speed? What’s the phase resistance? Wonder if iron or copper losses. It’s a pretty big motor. Maybe they don’t get rid of heat to the hanger well? I remember someone made a giant aluminum hanger to replace what they come (ur uh came) with and he showed they ran much cooler.

5 Likes

I think the horrible PU quality, be that formula or manufacturing technique, was the greater problem. I had a version 1 R2 as my learner board and the PU came apart during low speed low power operation (ie low thermals).

Looking at the differences between how the early generation and later generation PU failed I think supports this.

1 Like

Good to know but still the motors seem to get surprisingly hot considering their size. Testing the winding resistance vs the kv will tell if due to copper losses, and the no-load current draw would reveal if due to iron losses. Or maybe good on both and just bad at getting rid of the heat

2 Likes

I’m bying a pair to belgium instantly when available

Still searching for the PU I want and varnish to plug the mold pores.

Upgrading my handle while rain does not seem to stop here

1 Like

Yeah we’re being tortured here. :sob:

Mr @hummieee sir, where and how exactly do you sell your hubs? Just out of curiousity.

We already have PU formula ready. Just need to finish our aluminium moulds.

6 Likes