RAMM Board "SLR" (anyone interested in a prototype?)

Oh great.
I thought you only had a thread on builders for this. Looks great. Do want.
Needs to fit 120 cells tho lol

2 Likes

This looks fantastic.
What will the price be?

4 Likes

@BigBen Not sure mate, but as you know (better than most), it can get expensive quickly when they are not simply off the shelf standard designs.

The moulds for both the deck and enclosure are the real cost. Not looking to make any real money from this as I suspect they will be at the expensive end for most.

Last year I purchased the lacroix deck and enclosure for $799 (i think), now i understand why Alex charged this much.

The deck is being built by a top quality manufacturer, custom moulds, carbon fibre layers etc. The deck is not anywhere close to a flatā€™ish regular style longboard, the ā€œdepthā€ of the mould is much larger than most being of a hybrid mountainboard style, aggressive concave etc, again adding to the expense.

The carbon enclosure also requires a mould to be built, then hand layered carbon fibre, de burred, etc etc. The enclosure is not simply a square box, so this is also very expensive. I could have made it cheaper by using a polycarbonate material or similar, but these products were always going to be expensive to produce in such small quantities, so i didnā€™t want to cut corners for the sake of a few bucks.

So as to the price, not sure yet as Iā€™ve not come to an agreement with the manufacturer of the enclosures. Obviously, the cost is currently sitting at more than i would like.

Perhaps i should have got you involved, your enclosures are top notch!

3 Likes

Like you say, itā€™s a complicated form and a lot of work. Vacuum infusion would be the way to go to minimise the manual layup. Have you considered using glass rather than CF to alleviate any concerns with radio signals?

1 Like

@BigBen, I have considered using a glass for the enclosure, as the carbon fibre will no doubt have a detrimental effect to the signal strength. I just really appreciate the way the carbon fibre looks. Give the enclosure a real premium finish.

We will see, if it affect the signal too much, I may be forced to use another option.

It really shouldnā€™t affect the signal much unless the deck is carbon fiber as well.

1 Like

Yes, the deck is maple sandwiched between carbon fibre. This helps reduce any warping to the deck shape over time.

1 Like

Looks amazing ! There should be a LaCroix alternative - they are not offering any DIYā€™s anymore , so ā€¦ of course there is a great potential here, looks awesome !

3 Likes

Thanks @Jagden, This project is taking up a lot of my spare time, (and cash).

4 Likes

@Adstars any updates on this?

Update coming soon

Keeping my eye on this, looks like a perfect combo for an amazing carver build.

Good luck on it!

1 Like

6 Likes

Is this the new Escherboard?

5 Likes

V2 leak spotted in the wild!

13 Likes

I remember that one time I drew while on acid too.

What even is this!?

2 Likes

I think that image is @Drang (hello mate), checking for wheel bite at full tilt

3 Likes

@Venom121212 ordaleĀ“ nice camber .

2 Likes

And those are 6.75" tires instead of the 8"ersā€¦ Here is the barge sitting upright with 8" tires.

7 Likes

Ok, so you may be wondering why I havenā€™t updated this postā€¦ Well hereā€™s a little story for you

After designing my deck and enclosure i sought out manufacturers to help build the prototypes.

I obtained mutiple quotes from many companies, offering a range of differing materials and timelines.

I needed the deck to be built first (test clearance, wheel bite, flex etc.) and although I had a number of quotes for the building of deck and moulds. I decided I shouldnā€™t cut corners and endeavoured to use a reputable custom deck manufacturer. My priority was for quality, (and still is)

I was recommended and directed to Drang boards. After some weeks of discussion with Jared(from Drang) and assurances given, I paid upfront and in full for the production of a mould and three finished prototypes ( one of which I was looking to give away for secret santa on this forum).

I even ordered a full set of MBS trucks, hubs and 8inch wheels with all the trimmings to be sent to him directly, and at my cost. To ensure we could adjust the design quickly should we have issues with clearance etc.

Initially everything seemed fined, Jared seemed very enthusiastic about the project, model and concept.

Yet as the weeks went by, the project went nowhere, I continued to be patient and ask weekly if any progress had been made.

Jared responded with multiple reasons why there had been none or very little progress. The excuses ranged from moving shop, many and multiple issues with his CNC.

Anyway after three months of waiting I now have confirmation that he is no longer in a position to produce my decks as the business and itā€™s tools have been recovered due to outstanding debts

I now find myself without my prototypes and without a way recover the monies paid.

I hope Drang boards find some resources and refund me in full but I doubt that will happen.

I think I was far too naive coming into this and have learnt a very expensive lesson. Really pissed by the whole thing.

Still, now Iā€™ll get back to some of the earlier manufacturers to see if I can push on with the project.

24 Likes