Radium Performance

Electrostatic painting could work

There’s also Radium Engineering in the US that makes car parts with Radium on them lol

Green tho so pretty far away

1 Like

I’m lost too they weren’t spray painted as far as I know

1 Like

But were they rattle canned?

Soooo… Why are we using 24mm OD bearings in these pulleys?

I can’t find a 10x24 bearing for the life of me

I have no idea why its in french, but enjoy.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32826135793.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.2.61ed7d56zSVMgp&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

Compromises😅 Mach One uses 8-9mm stepped axle, a 22mm OD bearing with 9mm ID will wear out too quickly, and for 26mm OD there is no 8mm ID for boards with through axle, but also the kegel pins interfere with the bearing, and if we machine the pulley with aluminium pins to get around that the cost is like 50% higher…

2 Likes

It seems like 10x24 bearing is also hard to find.

It seems like you have to pick between two evils

8 mm axles or smaller bearing balls

also have you measured the difference in where life between 8x22 and 9x22 or 10x22?

Or is this just kind of an intuition thing? And many people make this claim but never measure it.

2 Likes

About that, if I choose to buy pulleys from you am I choosing the Mach 1 setup if their going on the r6 trucks?

I’m thinking using aluminum black just to darken the raw aluminum.

2 Likes

Lol I printed a sleeve out of tpu.

Who wants to place bets on how long it takes to fail?

1 Like

i give it a yes

Sat down today and read this whole thread. Incredible work. Excited to see where you guys are as a company in 5 years

So cool that you shared a picture of this PCB. It’s neat that you’re running a COTS Pi Pico.
And optoisolators, love to see it.

I tried this at esk8con, it was amazing(thanks for letting me take a couple laps!). Felt like I have front wheel drive, pulling me around corners.

Any chance you could elaborate on the RTS control method? From the PCB pic, it looks like the pico inputs the hall sensor position and receiver PWM, then sends the mixed PWM command to each side of the esc. But also UART? Redundancy?

What kind of hall sensor did you guys pick out? Very curious on the rationale, there’s a lot of different kinds out there. Looks like three wires, is it an analog one? I see a connector for a second hall…provisioned for future redundancy?

How’s the app setting in vesc set up? Do you have everything linear, and calculate throttle expo as part of RTS? Or does RTS do PWM mixing, then vesc has the expo settings? Would adjusting expo in the vesc app affect how RTS distributes power?

You mentioned that it drives more power to the inside wheel, is the ratio of left/right power change at different power levels? Ex. For the same steering angle, Is it roughly 50/50 at low power, but 30/70 at high power? Or 30/70 balance at both low and high power.

Sorry for all the detailed questions, I just love what yall have built! You’ve obviously done a tons of testing and I’m super curious what kind of architecture you settled on.

9 Likes

We struggle already with 8x22 bearings and have to exclusively use Zealous to get good lifespan on the SR125s. Bearings with smaller balls are rated for lower loads so even though I have lots of anecdotal evidence of 10x22 bearings not lasting long in many cases, you can compare the load ratings for more scientific reasoning.

If you bought the 8mm axle option then you need 8mm bearings. Mach1 axles are slightly different with a 9mm stepped section.

Thanks mate, so am I!

The production design is looking super nice compared to this. I’m really proud of all the little features it has. Design for manufacture is really rewarding😁

No problem glad you had fun! I’ve actually improved it even more since then just with setting changes. Managed to increase the grip on corner exit quite a lot more which feels great.

Unfortunately I can’t delve too much into the specifics of how it all works as it’s very complicated and I’d need to give a 4 hour lecture to cover the control logic which is by far the hardest part.
But also because there are many copycats in this industry that like to profit on the back of someone elses hard work. They can find out on their own how difficult this is to achieve!

The best way to get an idea of how it works is to buy a Mach1 and play with the RTS settings in the app :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12 Likes

So then we have to ask ourselves what is worse, small axles or small bearing balls?

1 Like

Sounds right up my ally!

But darn. Entirely fair :slight_smile:

:eyes:

6 Likes

What body of research did you pull the underlying vehicle dynamics theory from? Or is this self developed?

Just curious since the models used for automotive torque vectoring would not really apply in the same way to skateboard “suspension/steering geometry” lol

1 Like