Radium Performance

Just curious, when do you all have the app release slated for? Or will it come with the Mach 1?

Another question, in an interview on YouTube, don’t remember which one sorry, you mentioned that Dylan got better lap times with the BRP wheels, did you develop a pulley for those?

2 Likes

Much respect that you could pull it off! I know how hard it is first hand :smiley: During the previous semester at university we built a canbus traction controller / ABS for vesc, and also looked into the possibility of adding torque vectoring. We did some research and the car related stuff really doesn’t apply at all. That and the buggy codebase we had, we ended up just focusing on TC/ABS. Hopefully once I have a 4WD in August maybe, I can convince my friends to work on that project again :grin:

4 Likes

Small balls big shaft or big balls small shaft

2 Likes

You rang?

6 Likes

Rang a few days ago. You’re about as slow as internet explorer (@hoytkid)

1 Like

it was such a fitting nickname :joy::rofl:

4 Likes

M3… more like EW…

5 Likes

You could have both if you’re okay stepping up to a larger bearing seat like 28mm (supports 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm axles)

Well, you’ve probably seen the stuff we do on our axles but that did come at a price. A conversion to 10mm is very likely in the near future to reduce costs. My concern is losing the skate feeling if we go to say 28mm bearings then the drag from those will be a lot more noticeable compared to traditional skate bearings.

We had a meeting today and discussed the axle issue again. We’re going to look at using 10mm axles with 26mm bearings, and investigate getting a custom made bearing that allows the 26mm seat to run 8mm axles. What do you think of this idea @fujio001 ? I’m thinking the Otang Dad bod pulley pattern as well. Edit: Dad Bod pattern is huge… probably not the way to go.

3 Likes

You’re right it works nothing like on a car so I had to figure it out from scratch. Months of programming, lots of math and a surprising amount of ways you can deliver power with just 2 motors and a steering sensor. There’s about 16 different 0-100% adjustable settings I have so far that all do different things and part of the fun of making the Mach1 app will be working out a way to combine a lot of those settings together into just a handful so it’s not confusing.

Towards the end of the year before everyone gets their boards.

5 Likes

52.6s at esk8con with the SR125s and RTS off (technical issue during quali) and 50.1s with BRP wheels and RTS on.

We made up our own adapters to work with our shorter 8mm axles and belt drive.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply! This is incredible! Hope to be able to purchase the adapters in the future!

Man, still got my fingers crossed that “late 2024” means like August. I know it’s a pipe dream, but a guy can dream. Ha! Either way here I’m here for what you guys are making!

Sooooo much work to switch wheels. Has any R&D been done to make BRPs more compatible? I’m sure they’d sell more with a more standard mounting interface.

4 Likes

Also gonna throw my name in the pool of people interested in those BRP adapters if they take a standard 22mm OD bearing setup

2 Likes

Why 22od? You can use a 28od bearing with a 8, 10, and 12mm axle.

3 Likes

28 would be alright too. Just not a fan of anything outside of 22 or 28mm bearing seat.

4 Likes

Have you tested this? (comparing 22mm vs 28mm seat bearings)

I’d be surprised if the change in rolling resistance can be detected at all.

I’ve been wrong before, but interested to hear your experience if it’s been tried already.

6 Likes

Personally ive ridden both bearing seats, and theres no appreciable difference i can detect. Much bigger differences from tire types or tire pressures.

5 Likes

this is my experience also. Xcell rs v1 at 40 psi with 12x28 bearings felt like riding a big urethane wheel. Freeroll was fantastic, but I felt every single imperfection in the road.