Radium Performance

Really looking forward to a finished suspension product!

1 Like

Thanks @fujio001. We’re doing our best to make it a reality but its pretty full on trying to develop a production board from scratch where the only parts we aren’t making are the bearings and most of the electronics :sweat_smile: We are determined to make it happen though and the support is really encouraging.

14 Likes

Is it only going to be available as a complete board, or will the (deck, enclosure and suspension) be available to purchase for people who want to build their own board?

We really want to launch a complete board first, but we still haven’t ruled out offering the chassis before the complete is finished.

It would have to include the trucks and motor mounts as well though, because the trucks are now integrated with the suspension

4 Likes

Ok cool. Looking forward to hearing more about the truck integration as well.

1 Like

Blog post #3 is up!
Developing our own carbon fiber parts was such a long and difficult part of building our prototype boards that I actually really struggled to write about it, because there was just so much information, and it was a fair while ago so it was a bit tricky to remember everything that occurred and what we learned from it. I was hoping to have these blog posts out a little quicker than this but nevertheless:

19 Likes

That sweet sweet carbon can really be a bitch!
Love those articles!

3 Likes

A suspension chassis would be great!

1 Like

Radium mk1 trucks

These were my first attempt at making trucks, they have some interesting features such as a secondary floating pivot point to eliminate slop, and used spherical bearings in place of pivot cups. The use of secondary pivot allowed the bushing seats to be made completely unrestricted as they no longer needed to support the hangar from moving side to side.

These prototypes were 240mm wide, 40 degree baseplates and +3mm rake.

And it just seems to be tradition around here that the first working prototype ends up being ridden daily for a long time. I’ve been riding these on my push board for almost a year and totally in love with them for that as they feel super direct and responsive, have so much lean but snap back to centre with heaps of rebound.

But they weren’t exactly what I was looking for when tested under power, so we’re up to mk4 by now and hoping to bring something out towards the end of this year :crossed_fingers:

26 Likes

Every single part of them is so nice and styled and the base of the baseplate just straight rectangle :sweat_smile:

You make me sick.

8 Likes

:joy: They are functional prototypes designed to be easier to machine, gosh

10 Likes

Also the only 20-something year old i know who uses the word ‘gosh

Sort your life out Napoleon

gosh-napoleon

6 Likes

Spherical bearing and secondary floating pivot sound like good ideas!

2 Likes

Oh damn! That secondary pivot allowed you to put the king-ping at an angle that’s not exactly 90 degrees to the hanger! This is like a hybrid between a TKP and RKP truck :exploding_head:

I can imagine! Wait, I don’t even have to, you showed it on video :smiley: :heart:

6 Likes

Oh man, you’re making it really difficult for me to not buy another set of trucks after the BN 270s i just bought :joy:

3 Likes

Will there be a gear drive for these?

Yes exactly, and I’ve kept this angled bushing system through to mk4 as I think it offers some interesting benefits (aside from making the machining more annoying)

2 Likes

No but I will consider working with BN to enable his to fit. The hangar profile is 18 x 20 mm on mk4 for particular reasons so it might involve needing a new clamp

2 Likes

Do you have any idea on a rough pricepoint, and how wide are they? If they can compare with the set of BN 270’s i have coming in, i might need to have you add your trucks to my radium motor preorder LOL.

1 Like

Haha, they might not work for you then as mk4 is currently at 237mm width. We tried to go as narrow as possible with the 6485 motors. We will be able to play around with the width later but 237mm is what we’ll begin with.

I can’t give a price yet but it should be under 500USD with motor mounts

7 Likes