Radium Performance

Received my charger today, woo! It’s literally the same size as a YZPower 6A one :laughing:

What’s interesting is that the instructions mention plugging the charger out of the AC wall socket before disconnecting it from the board. I never thought that was important. Does that apply to other chargers too? :thinking:

5 Likes

Lol who reads instructions :rofl:

I haven’t done that and mine hasnt exploded yet. Probably only like 10 charges done out of it tho.

Such a good charger! Enjoy!

7 Likes

What’s the fan noise like? Nice and euphonic?

Yeah, plugging into the wall first makes sense so that the other end of the charger is close to battery voltage and doesn’t spark, but unplugging? I don’t see the issue

2 Likes

I will get back to you on that, need to solder connectors on it.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just risk mitigation, that the user could turn the plug somehow and short the charger

Who knows

Might have to do with discharging the capacitors in the charger. More of a safety advice. Don’t think doing it the other way around will harm the charger.

2 Likes

That’s a good theory, you can really get shocked by that sometimes!

1 Like

How do these motors (and maybe motors in general) handle the fine dust kicked up on fire roads? I think that could get past the mesh right, or maybe clog up the mesh? Would it overheat if it were clogged?

In my experience so far its not a problem as it doesn’t seem to build up too much inside. I guess due to the air flow also sucking it out

2 Likes

I have 200 miles on beta set of these motors here in NYC and they are running fine. I took the motor can off after maybe 75 miles and it was as dusty as any other motor is gonna be. The good thing is the design makes servicing the motor and replacing bearings a very easy procedure. So with that in mind, these motors may last longer than some of the more popular ones on the market under normal use.

7 Likes

Are you planning on doing a range of motor sizes eventually, or just sticking with the one size? Something a little smaller would be good nice also.

@Tony_Stark do you remember what the winding resistance was for the 205kV variant in vesctool detection?

Would love to but we just haven’t got the order volumes or the capital to justify more variants right now.

I don’t remember sorry. Might have to ask in the thread for the motors if anyone else can check on their setup…

Developing the Radium board #04 is out! Fairly in depth with how we made the moulds, to the point I’ve had to split it again, so update 5 will be like part 3 of making the moulds…

We also have a bunch of new products up on the site so be sure to have a browse before we do some official posts for them :call_me_hand:

23 Likes

This is really awesome stuff! Great write up. It’s obvious you guys went through to true trial-by-fire / firehose learning process as you tried and failed and improved and persevered. So interesting to hear the little details.

I bet the final tooling board molds were really satisfying to handle once CNC machined and sanded and polished. Night and day vs 3D printed molds!

Very keen to see this two layer, hollow CF deck!

Unrelated-
Do all the heatsinks have fins? It looks like a few of the product listings only have a backside photo

5 Likes

Thanks dude! It was definitely a bigger mission than we had prepared for but we saw it through and I’m really glad we did.
And yes the tooling board molds are infinitely better

1 Like

Just the Evolve GT one. The photos are all the front side (exterior of the board). I don’t believe in fins anymore… they’re more expensive to machine and likely don’t add much heat dissipation. Plus I personally think boards look cleaner with a flat heatsink (evolve GT vs GTR enclosure for example)

1 Like

New motor mounts in the works

14 Likes

@Tony_Stark I’d like to place an order but it looks like the oil slick titanium deck bolts are out of stock. Should I wait on those, or will it be a while before they’re in stock again?

1 Like