R/c escs in Eskate?

So just gear it to the speed you want, “only 8s” becomes insignificant if you’re geared to the speed you want, and still can’t handle full acceleration due to the amps it can push out consistently.

BLDC on an R/C ESC the startup torque is to be experienced if you haven’t before.

4 Likes

What size are the motors you usually run?
Doesn’t 8s = higher amps compared to 12s?
And wouldn’t you need bigger motors to dissipate the extra heat generated?

SK3 6374 192kV, but they barely get warm to the touch, so you could go smaller.

Try this and tell us how you go? Hobbyshops sell them too if banggood isn’t your thing.

https://m.banggood.com/ZTW-Beast-Pro-300A-Full-Waterproof-ESC-6-12S-Lipo-W-Double-Fan-for-15-Buggy-Truck-Rc-Car-Parts-p-1370516.html

I’ve been eyeing the 2-400A 12s+ car ESCs for a race build if these 60V 200A FSESCs don’t work out. I see the appeal of the rough and tough 8s ESCs, but at the end of the day, you get way more watts out of the same amperage at a higher voltage, so why not?

Any idea how many amps are actually going through to your motors? More build details in general?

Im wanting 30+ top speed.
Gear ratio at 3.5/1 right now dual 6380 170kv build. 12s
If I went 8s I’d have to change the gear ratio to 2.1/1 to get the same top speed.

…or change wheel diameter.

Regardless, losing a ton of torque.

1 Like

I’m geared to go 25mph on an MTB with 160mm pneumies, still have WAAAY to much torque to handle with the Max6 ESCs on my SK3s. Pretty sure they’ll handle 30mph just fine.

[edit] Don’t think the OP wanted to race either. [/edit]

1 Like

How many watts are the Max6s pushing through those motors?

1 Like

I get where you’re going with this, it’s 2,688W per motor with 8S, at 80A each, which is half of the Amps the ESCs can do continuous.

1 Like

Personally used a couple random ESCs while waiting on my first vesc, I fried a couple of them and still have one but it requires some sort of proprietary programming thing and still limited options. As is it jolts to a start but I just use it for bench testing stuff might do some sort of diy lathe if I can make it in a way it won’t kill me.

Prefer the configuration and other uart peripherals/add ons that go with vesc and derivative ESCs now though.

1 Like

malJohann, what size tires and gearing are you using?

Huge direct power. Roxxy with 6374 feels almost like VESC6 with 80100. You can achieve quite smooth startup with some training. Brake is brutal but efficient.

No idea about amps. But no strator saturation phenomenon.
https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/xshape-roxxy-s-shape-x-lander-ii-roxxy-9120-12-sk3-6374-192kv-e-toxx-directdrive/37663

1 Like

Trampa Superstars with 165mm Urban Treads and 1:4 e-toxx Mini GDs.

1 Like

Any of the electronics gurus know how this can be? Are these using bldc/foc/other/magic algorithms?

BLDC, no sensors, and high startup- and continuous amps.

2 Likes

What kind of programming do the Roxy’s require?

1 Like

R/C ESCs just need preferences setup, the rest is automatic, so there’s something like maybe 16 settings. Can’t think what all those are off the top of my head.

1 Like

I used to have something like that, brakes are terrible and downright dangerous. It’s worth it to just spend the money and get something nice. Also you can’t customize those at all and they don’t have all the nice features as the vescs

On the mamba xlx breaks have nothing to succumb to vesc’s.
I can adjust the brake power and the brake curve. There is also this drag brake feature that might be awesome on the track. I have had it on zero up til now. But will experiment and see if it’s usable on the track.

4 Likes