Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

If you’re using UART then you probably have to use CANBUS to connect the two ESCs together and set up all that stuff too.

Do not overcharge your batteries. That is a recipe for disaster. If you plan on going downhill, just don’t charge your batteries to full or make sure to deplete some before you do. Alternatively, always start at the bottom of the hill. You’ll consume more going uphill than you will recharge going downhill.

1 Like

Yeah I do the same on my meepo. Just wondering the best way to set it up/ Im thinking Bypass

Large majority of users here ride charge only. Lots of reason why:

1. Hard to find high enough discharge BMS
  2. Usually very expensive if that’s the case
  3. Another point of failure.

Discharge refers to the power loop between the battery, vesc, and motors. Charge refers to just battery and charge port.

Personally I would go with charge/bypass only. Reason being the responsibility of a discharge BMS can be handled by the vesc.

Cool yeah his is 60 bucks and looks pretty high quality. SAw some a while ago for like 30 but maybe not very good

Is this true? Does 8s really have higher amps?

If I ran 8s and 12s with same motor and gearing, how would each behave?

8s less top speed because of lower voltage?

When the battery is fully charged and you brake, regen power may overcharge your battery above 4.2v per cell. A charge/discharge BMS is designed to cut all power from the battery when this happens to protect the battery from overcharging, this means no acceleration and no brakes, just imagine you going downhill towards a high speed crossing road and loose brakes at 30mph.

Would you rather have a small overcharge on your battery which might even be insignificant and cause no harm to the battery or loosing brakes and die at the crossing? BTDT, it’s fucking scary.

running it in Uart

im not to uptodate with the lingo sorry m8 but im pretty good with instructions, split the ground wires an canbus i don’t understand is that in the vesc tool

CANBUS is a communication protocol to allow one ESC to tell the other one what the throttle level needs to be. You remote connects to just one ESC.

You’d need to run a physical wire for CANBUS to work.

OR

you can run a PWM wire to both receivers

1 Like

oh shit i could prob do that, like use a knife and cut the 2 out and run it to the other vesc

like the wire it ships with

so just cut the red ppm wire and out and run it to the other (slave vesc) and it will work

This isn’t on your VX2 right? The VX2 does not have PPM…

3 Likes

No, that’s UART. Don’t cut any of those

You’ll have to use CANBUS if that’s all your radio receiver has to work with

For CANBUS you will need an additional cable to go from one ESC to the other ESC

links to where I can buy ?

1 Like
1 Like

fuk yeah m8, also my speed monitor aint workin will this fix this also

posting on behalf of @mikEEE as his post was a victim of an error while moving from VESC thread

"
Help plz, got the vx2 remote but it only works with what ever motor the reciver is plugged 2⁚, made sure the slave was 1 and master was 0 any ideas
"

2 Likes

is this pretty much plug and play or is thier some computer stuff