R/c escs in Eskate?

That’s really awesome, might have to go XLX soon! Much more adjustability than the Max6.

3 Likes

So these esc brakes are not regen? wondering if that has any impact on range…

I have never understood what we want with regen breaking. How much more range does that really give us? To me it’s an unnecessary marketing gimmick. But I do t know much about it so I could be really wrong.

3 Likes

Iv done extensive DH data logging on the Xlx. Graph shows watts being returned to battery under braking.

4 Likes

Unless the ESC has a massive heat sink it has to be regenerative braking, there isn’t any other place for the energy to go

As I said above, it’s the only option, it’s not a feature, it’s necessary to have any braking power

In my board my range is increased from 10 to 15% due the energy put back into the battery

5 Likes

Makes sense

1 Like

I use Max6 esc’s in my trampa, their absolute beasts, just insane amounts of torque and top speed of 30mph on a 8s setup, Smooth brakes. only draw back is the brakes are noisy but apart from that their bulletproof in every way

2 Likes

Max6 the whole casing is machined aluminium, with a fan on top. My brakes has always worked from full battery.

Some (me) wouldn’t call that a drawback, at least people can hear you, one of the reasons I love straight cut gears and BLDC.

3 Likes

Still really hard to find definitive answers regarding this.

Already fried a VESC from HK and just need to buy a new one or an ESC to get my first build up and running. HK is now out of stock .

Looking for a simple option not going to be changing all the settings just want to get the board going, get a feel for it and then maybe upgrade in the future.

Does anyone have a good suggestion of either VESC or ESC to buy which is easy to get in Australia? Don’t really want to spend more then $100

My experience with the HobbyWing Max6 ESC is very positive, and it has adjustable brake- and acceleration force.

Obviously you’d need to be okay with 8S, BLDC and no sensors. They’re solid though.

4 Likes

Thanks for the response. Maybe I should add I’m using 10s 190kv motor.

Main confusion after heaps of reading still is whether esc requires some other hardware aswell or can they just be programmed using the vesc tool?

I use this, it plugs into the cooling fan’s JST port.

http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=515/

2 Likes

10s will be tricky. The rc escs get pretty expensive above 8s with a ubec. With most rc escs, you’ll use their programming card or bluetooth module. They aren’t vesc and will not be able to be programmed with a vesc tool.

3 Likes

4-12S, no BEC though and “only” 120A continuous per ESC.

1 Like

I think these may be what NEXT board used someone should try em. 123Not it!

2 Likes

Yeah, there is a whole realm of 12S+ truck/boat ESCs that are 2-400A. Size starts to become a limiting factor though, and that’s not even considering what kind of beastly motors you’re going to get to draw that much.

1 Like

oh snap 16s! 200a!

2 Likes

im going to go foa a dual flier 400a car esc setup with sss5694 800kv inrunners for my next build.
ill let you know hoe´w this works out.
think the most challenging part will be to get smooth braking on those escs.
kr

1 Like

What gearing/voltage? On standard gearing that would have no torque
Nobody uses RC ESCs anymore

1 Like

78/11 gearing 150mm stooge race wheels and 3 link trucks
8s but the esc is capable of up to 12s