PWM controlled Brake light controller [Open Source]

I’ve checked into those before as well. The air compressor setup is not kind to the space available on a longboard, and definitely not a shortboard.

1 Like

Strobes are more noticeable but because our brain is programmed to make us look at it, this can be dangerous. At night, once your eyes have become accustomed to the darkness, your retinas enter a state of photophobia where any bright light can disrupt your process of thought and movement. And since we perceive flashing lights as being brighter and more noticeable…crash and burn

2 Likes

I want this! Good pwm lights are a gap that needs filling. Plus It’s the upgrade I might be able to afford.

1 Like

@Mich21050 What’s the max watts it can deliver on the front side? My headlight is pretty demanding

1 Like

Ah ok maybe a slower pulse/breathing style flash would be better?

3 Likes

@Mich21050 Quick question: How do you switch it on/off? Does it have its own switch? If I use Unity with its built-in e-switch, is there a way for me to use the light controller without adding another switch? Such as use the 5V from the Unity as enable signal?

2 Likes

Following

2 Likes

Actually that would be a really clever idea I never thought of… until now I always used the 3rd channel to switch it on/off. I will definitely look into that.

What interface would you guys prefer?
The standard uart or PWM interface… also after talking with a friend of mine we came up with the idea of a complete standalone unit using a gyroscope/accelerometer setup… any comments/ideas would be appreciated… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yep thats correct. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

i want one

1 Like

I’d prefer PWM

Maybe best to allow both? You could have PWM firmware and UART firmware. The user then flashes the one they want.

You could expose the RX and TX pins. Then if the user wants PWM, I believe it can be done over one of the pins.

1 Like

Ah, you switch it on/off in software. OK. How does the MCU power on/off?

1 Like

A braking light using a gyroscope already exists. But if you could have a cool design of one why not!

1 Like

Maybe within the next month or so… I’m currently redesigning a few things so it might take a while. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So as of right now, it can’t switch of external lights even though I’m planning to add it. The buck converter is designed for up to 3a at 5v but currently, it only works with ws2812b strips. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, I would appreciate some input on the following ideas:

• PWM uart any gyro control (no uart)
  • no flashing just static lights
  • around 3 digital and 3 analog pins for further upgradability
  • MOSFET for switching external loads: horns/lights
1 Like

Switching external loads would be awesome :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t mind if it was low-side switching, either.

1 Like

@Ricco just so you know I’m not trying to compete with your product at all. I just want to provide a low cost open-source and easy to assemble version. :slightly_smiling_face: :smile:

2 Likes

Fuck I have that somewhere laying around. Maybe time to test it out :sweat_smile:

1 Like