Pushoff start saving energy

How much energy is saved by pushing off instead of a dead stop? I start as a crawl, so as to not peg the amps.

It really hard to tell. Pneumatics more then PU, but for any decent battery I think it’s negligible difference.

But here the most important metric is actually how often do you start from standstill…

1 Like

I’ve heard it’s actually pretty significant, especially on a commuter board as youre more likely to stop and go a lot. Something something “objects in motion or at rest want to stay that way, so starting up motors electrically takes increased energy.” But that’s purely anecdotal and not scientific. I always kickpush once or twice before I throttle, it just feels right.

6 Likes

If you take the torque-speed curve you travel across your motor’s “total losses” and “output power” maps on your way from standstill to cruising in the pushing vs motor only cases, and compute the path integrals weighted by the amount of time spent at each point in the parameter space, you will be able to calculate the difference in energy consumption. GLHF I believe in u :+1:

I wish I had a urethane board with a data logger so I could get some real life results. I could push my mountainboard around I guess… No I don’t think I physically could.

4 Likes