Push fit pulley options - a guide

I am no fan of using 3 bearings where one is of a different kind than the rest, and has to share a lip with the next one. Why do not more vendors make pulleys like metroboard, running two bearings? Squeaking sounds maybe? More expensive to mill? Looks like the best solution on paper. Or are there better designs out there?

3 Likes

most use 2 bearings on the wheel, 1 on the wheel pulley.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I see the most of. Do they have to share a lip like section cut above to prevent wobbling? Seems like it should be good enough to have them mounted on the same axle.

x marks the bearing seat.

2 Likes

Exactly, and then just use regular 608 bearings right? What’s the one with two bearing seats in it?

3 Likes

Bottom one holds multiple bearings for 8,10,12mm axles

Middle one holds 608,6900 and the second bearing seat is for 12mm axles just in case.

5 Likes

I’m curious if anyone’s investigated the advantage to angular contact bearings, at least on the outer most bearing. The bearing closest to the edge of the wheel should see the most axial load while turning I would think. They’re much more expensive and options for fully sealed seem limited. Anyone have a good source for them?

I picked up some BKB pulleys recently. While they are technically push fit, I’m not a huge fan of the way the bearing support is placed. Granted, they were designed to fit cal2 without cutting, which is why the bearings are the way they are.
I have longer axles so I’m not worried about clearance. Trying to widen the bearing support and bring it closer to the pulley.
They are designed to have the inner wheel bearing removed.
There’s a flanged 608 that goes from the inside of the hub adapter and only extends into the inner pocket of the wheel bearing seat about 2mm.
Anyone have a part # for a 10mm deep flanged 8x22?

The ID is 26.4mm inside the hub. I printed a spacer to reduce that to 22mm from abs. Currently running from the truck, 608 in spacer, 608 flanged, 15mm spacer, outer wheel 608

2 Likes

https://www.247industries.com/s/en/114/Angular-Contact-Ball-Bearing-Double-Row?st=text&q=&PIM11=DE5V9L&iex=10&oex=30&uom=m&os=on&mx=10

1 Like

That’s 30mm OD. Thinking more like this

[8x22x7 sealed angular contact](US $27.20 15% Off | Free shipping 1 Pair 708 708C 2RZ P4 DT 8x22x7 708C Sealed Angular Contact Bearings Speed Spindle Bearings CNC ABEC-7 https://a.aliexpress.com/_rwcStT)

1 Like

chinesium bearings :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Referring to the size

I have been ordering from here, they have most types: https://www.kugellager-express.de/

I like haggy pulleys, they use 6001 bearing on 12mm axle(hanger) and the bearing is in line with the belt = low leverage.

2 Likes

My kegel pulley was drilled thru in the past (my bad, didn’t know I could tap the thread inside)

So now I’m using a longer 60mm MY bolt and hold it using nylon locknut from the back of the pulley :+1:

1 Like

That third option with the shared bearing between hub and pulley is odd. Why coming up with that design?

Finally got them in :+1:

6 Likes

is the haggy 36t the only kegel pulley on the market with a 28mm bearing seat? did they ever make a 44t version?

2 Likes

assume so

1 Like

Would be interesting if you 3D printed a insert that press fit over the teeth on the 36t pulley and had whatever tooth count you wanted on the outside.

in case that doesn’t make sense
images
like this but solid and more teeth on the outside

3 Likes

Hello, i was wondering what kind of pulley is more stressful for a wheel core: an Abs press fit pulley (like the one provided with the cloudwheels) or a metal press fit/bolt on pulley like the one sold by Dickyho?
Which one is safest? More durable? And put less strain on the wheel core.
I have 120mm cloudwheels and am hesitating between the 2 system pulley.
Dickyho told me his pulleys are compatible with the new cloudwheel discovery.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

The bolt on pulleys definitely cause more damage to the wheel cores than the pressfit designs. Dicky’s Abec pulleys are particularly rough on cores because they rely on 5M bolts that are slightly too large for the spaces in an Abec core. I tried his Abec pulleys on a set of 107mm Superflys and they made the bearing seat stretch and go out of round. Personally I would opt for a quality metal pressfit like those made by 3D Servisas, Boardnamics or Build Kit Boards or I would just go with the ABS pulley that I wonder designed to fit the updated Discovery core. I am not 100% sure if those metal pulleys are compatible with the Cloud wheels BC they are using a non-standard core. Probably best to check with whichever vendor you decide to go with first.

1 Like