Push fit pulley options - a guide

@Brenternet can you note which ones are held on the wheel by friction only(bkb for example), and which one are mechanically held on by a bearing tightened on the axle?

The BKB ones seem to stay on, magical.

2 Likes

These all require a bearing my friend.

1 Like

I’ll try to explain once more. BKB pulleys, when fully installed, can be pulled out of the wheel given sufficient force. The only thing holding the pulley on the wheel is friction. I think most if not all the other pulleys use some mechanical means to hold the pulley on the wheel, usually the bearing seated against a stop in the pulley.

4 Likes

1 Like

Depends on the wheel. Flipped core batch one 110s are loose on all of the pulleys except 3Dservisas and to a degree, randomly Dickyho’s is snug.

The rubber kegel cored “rain wheels” prefer thinner stems, caguamas are quite versatile in this regard, I was able to seat pretty much all the pulleys snugly into them. Timo’s pepe’s come out the same factory as cag’s but appear to prefer the more expensive pulleys and his own.

With all of this said… your spacers and speedrings should form a continuous inner race pressure tube that sits on the axle and is tightened into place by the nut/shoulder bolt. If you tighten your nut up and find your wheel is hard to spin it means that the inner race of your bearing is not supported and is being twisted. The bearing inside your pulley should be a part of this “tube”.

1 Like

A fully supported inner race looks like this below. Bearing inner races supported by a speed ring, spacers used in middle areas and bolt goes on to clamp it all down. The bearings spin completely freely, no matter how you tight you do the nut up.

1 Like

mmmmmmm these whites. possibly my favorite wheels for pushing.

I’m still a little confused on this. Timo specifically says that the Haggy glass fiber & nylon pulleys only fit Kahua trucks, yet they are recommended for everyone to use? I currently use Caliber II trucks and would like to give these wheel pulleys a try. I just need clarification…

They work for surfrodz truck with different bearings than the pulleys typically use. But only because surfrodz have lots of axle space and 10mm axles not 8mm.

2 Likes

With the right bearing OD they could theoretically fit any axle, the issue is depth of the pulley. You won’t get them on a caliber 2 comfortably without modification.

2 Likes

Hi , I just received a pair of your kegel pulley and wanted to use them on Paris v2 trucks but the axles are not long enough. Can you give instructions on the best way to use bolt-on method for your kegel pulley --like where do I get extra face plate and bolts? Can I just use shoulder bolts and nuts without a front plate?

Just got my Kegel pulley from Dicky as well :+1:

Press fit but the pins are a little loose on the core, I tried using electrical tape and heat shrink but the pulley still gets loose from the core when I accelerate :frowning:

Do you guys think it’s a crazy idea to loctite the pins into the core?

2 Likes

Yes and no. I suppose they can just be unscrewed and left in there if you want to rotate the wheels later.

It’s a pretty silly plan tbh :joy:. Decent heat shrink should solve this problem

1 Like

I’ve tried the heat shrink method, but 1 layer is not enough :frowning:
But the heat shrink gets push up towards the pulley if I apply 2 layers and they crumpled and the end of the pins…
Btw, I am trying to install it without the bigger bearings inside the pulley because it’s impossible to install on the caliber 2 trucks if I used that pulley :sob:

If you dont have the bearing you need to bolt the pulley through the wheel. You cant just let it dangle.

Just in case that was your plan here…

That was indeed my plan, I had a feeling that it won’t work but I was just hoping that it would LOL :laughing:

Bolt thru method it is then :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah, the pulley is loose because your not using it as “press fit”. You needed to shave the hanger whatever the width of the bearing is plus 1/2mm.

Takes like 2 mins with a hand file @Jun

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip @mmaner and @Skunk :+1:

My caliber trucks has been filed previously, I knew what was wrong from the beginning :sweat_smile: it’s because I wasn’t using the bigger bearings that Dicky provided…

But I use the bearings, I won’t be able to tighten everything up as the axle for the caliber 2 is too short for this method…

Ahhhh. You need Ecaliber hanger or cut some material away to allow bearing room.
Might have to use 12mm belts with the second option, not 100% sure.

1 Like