Push assist/Endless mode, let's talk about it!

Remote integrated into a glove sounds pretty good. You could modify a heated glove with room for wires to have a contact in each finger tip and have 4 buttons by connecting one of the fingers to the thumb. Maybe 1. Accelerate slow 2. Accelerate fast 3. Break slow 4. Break fast. To not get abrupt acceleration and breaks you could smooth out the control input with a micro controller.

No remote sounds very dangerous to me.

2 Likes

JayKay ring remote?

2 Likes

Outside of using this to avoid cops where eskate is illegal, this sounds like nostalgia mode to me. Remember when we used to push our skateboards? After a ride in endless mode you can go home and slap some vinyl on your turntable and pick up your rotary phone and call your buddy.

7 Likes

Why not have weight sensing riser pads and then use lean-forward to accelerate and lean back to brake?

Could work like this:
if 40-60% of weight on front, set to cruise control (keep speed)
60-90% of weight on front, linear (or exponential) acceleration.
60-90% of weight on back, linear (or exponential) deceleration.

for both acceleration and deceleration, only apply if pressure sustained for 0.5 seconds (to avoid false inputs due to bumps)

if combined pressure below some threshold (e.g. half of rider weight) for 1 second, dead man trigger, increasingly apply brakes to full stop.

This could be extended to a push mode, where the board senses a push (low pressure + acceleration force) and allows for the acceleration (push) and then keeps the speed, similar to Mellow. With some adjustments to the weight distribution band for acc/dec, you could even have a hybrid mode where you can push or not, as you feel like.

1 Like

With weight sensing, you have the issue of needing your weight to steer/stay on the board.

Adding anything more than simple buttons for lights or something to the deck, isn’t a good idea I think.

3 Likes

What do you guys think of this idea? Apologies for cross linking but it seemed less Neanderthal than a blatant copy paste. Didn’t get much feedback on the other thread…

3 Likes

Yeah combine your coast and cruise control idea with a foot pedal that puts a powered wheel to the ground.

So you have an encoder on the non powered wheels, reads your speed. Push up to whatever speed, press the pedal. It moves an arms that engages the powered wheel with the ground and it spins to the speed measured by the encoder on the unpowered wheel.

1 Like

Exactly. My biggest issue is the fear of control with a foot pedal because of how crucial footing is to riding. I’ve shamefully tried a few onewheels and find their pressure pads iffy. Even the owners have problems.

Well they bought OWs so clearly

5 Likes

Yeah my V1 only has 1 footpad so it can be… problematic u rite.

Trying to stand on the lever while doing anything besides going straight does seem like a challenge

I am not sure what issue you are referring to.

1 Like

Theoretically it could work, I just think it’s an unreliable way to gauge what the rider actually wants to do.

It works on the onewheels. There you also need to balance. But with 4 wheels it should actually be easier. I think it might actually be beneficial, as you always have to have the right body position to accelerate/ brake.

1 Like

Onewheels don’t use pressure to accelerate/decelerate though, that’s all in the COG. The leaning action is what makes it stable/possible.

This is precisely what I was saying would not be the case. My opinions have been reinforced by the reviews of the weight sensing boards that a few people tried to ride.

With the whole board acting as a weight sensor if you hit a bump or lost your balance the board would accelerate which sounds scary.

6 Likes

I love the idea of the endless mode, but I reckon it should also contain some sort of cut-off sensor that detects a sudden strong counterforce, like the rider attempting to brake manually with his foot? or it has hit a wall or impassable obstacle.

That’s why I suggested to have a slight delay. Did you read my post?

Yeah, but they both use body position as control.

1 Like

The problems I see:

1. when breaking hard, your body will naturally put pressure on the front of the board to not fall off. When accelerating hard, your body will naturally put pressure on the back of the board. But unfortunately you can’t switch the sensors, because then you get a feedback loop where slightly breaking will cause your board to slow down, causing you to put even more pressure on, and break even more. So in one scenario you can’t do these actions fast enough, in the other you will get thrown off.
  2. 0.5 seconds is both too long of a reaction time for breaking in an emergency, and yet too short for dealing with super bumpy roads. I think it’s definitely too short for combining it with the smart push mode you described
  3. Braille skateboarding and others have tried electric skateboards that are weight controlled like this, and they deemed them dangerous. Ofc I’m not saying we couldn’t do better, but it does show this isn’t easy to get right.
7 Likes

Pressure pads just aren’t the way to go. I tried a zboard 2 pearl in NYC once and while the deck and trucks were nice, the pads ruined the experience.

2 Likes

Totally agree!

I see that as a challenge too, but not a problem.
Having front pressure decelerate is dangerous. Agreed. But having rear pressure decelerate, should be fine, if you decelerate too much, your body weight moves forward, easing the braking. So you are in control by forcefully shifting your body backwards.

It would have to be more intelligent than just a delay. I meant 0.5s if continued pressure. Bumpy roads would just cause shorter spikes. Think of a smoothing algorithm.

Yeah, You are right, this mode would need its own algorithm. It could be separately activated.

I agree. That’s why I suggest putting the pressure sensors into truck risers. And obviously not just have binary sensors, but decent pressure measurements.

@Sn4Pz, what was the main issue?

2 Likes

This whole weight sensor thing feels like a solution in search of a problem. I see no downsides to using a remote.

13 Likes

It sure is a first world problem. There’s nothing wrong with a good remote, apart from signal drops or accidental acceleration or braking.

But it would feel fantastic to control it just with your body and have your hands free.

2 Likes