Push assist/Endless mode, let's talk about it!

If they lost 22 mph top speed, im guessing it’s more like 16 for people. That doesn’t include a heavier rider, wind speed or hills

I still cant describe the joy of zipping around on good longboard wheels with ceramic bearings and absolutely zero resistance… ride quality unmatched

2 Likes

Just saw this mellow on FB. Good deal if you really want endless mode. Thing hasn’t even been ridden enough to unlock the fastest mode. Located in New York

3 Likes

Bump! With all the sexy firmware development between Ben, @Blasto, @Deodand, etc… just want to ping this feature into your heads…

PID no acceleration is nice, but a mode with a setting that you can tune to set a value that will juuuuuust barely make your board move (or just barely below the threshold of not moving) to make kick pushing effortless, then kick up to a speed easy, ESC loosely holds top speed for a bit, and maybe some values to tune the ramping back down to the coasting value from the start automatically… with braking on the remote only… would be an awesome feature.

For long range rides this would be a sweet way to extend range a ton. I squeezed like 4x the range out of my board when gently kicking with PID no acceleration and the option to have it be a bit more of a workout was a nice plus as well.

7 Likes

PID no acc. is cool! Just tested it the first time and it´s sad that it isn´t implemented in the original Vesc Tool to play around with it…
Would be nice to get this mode going, as it looks like lot´s of people are still interested.
Later on we could fine tune it to get a Mellow-like mode
@Trampa

2 Likes

Got this other thread going too, was trying to keep it simple.

5 Likes

I just found this thread after dreaming about implementing such a mode for a few years now.
I recently bought a used Lou Board and burned the Motherboard after spending a day reverse engineering the thing.
So, got a VESC ordered, here’s my plan:
Use only a rear foot sensor to infinitely hold the speed.
Breaking and accelerating should be handled like on a regular board, without the esc intervening.
I am not quite sure yet how to implement the foot sensor, thinking about force sensors.
I am not too concerned about the range, just want to be able to ride that thing without getting noticed by police.
That is also the reason why I will most likely extremely limit the max current, so I can not magically drive up hills and will still be forced to kick up a hill.
Also, I am not sure yet if the VESC should break in order to maintain speed downhill, since that might look suspicious aswell.
Is there any way to adjust whether the VESC will slow the board down in order to maintain set RPM?

1 Like

I even thought about using two TOF sensors for foot detection. In that case I would be quite worried about stepping on them though.

Also, is there a way to turn off the VESC through UART/CAN?

I suspect that there is a command for that, didn’t find it yet, though.

Would be awesome to have the board go to standby after a certain time of inactivity.

Most antisparks here have auto turn off after 20 or 30 minutes, and auto turn on when the wheels spin (just gotta wait for the VESCs to boot) Theres a group buy going on right now for a really good price if youre future proofing.

Aight, got some progress to report:

Here are pictures from the board and the setup, including a simple pressure sensor.
(turns out I can’t upload pictures)

I am thinking about adding a symmetrical second sensor to avoid issues while balancing in turns.

After spending a few hours trying to connect an arduino I ended up programming the VESC itself, here’ s the code on github: /dakhnod/bldc/blob/master/applications/app_kickassist.c.

For now I am remaining with 2 issues:

• especially at higher speeds the board accelerates beyond the current speed for some reson. Maybe a simple currentRPM * 0.9 or something will help.
  • a few times the board just started breaking for a split second, enough to throw me off though.

To counter those issues I implemented a moving average filter that sadly doesn’t seem to help though…

Still had a lot of run riding around so far. Especially riding down hills is amazing since the board breaks by itself.

6 Likes

bumped your level so you can post images now

3 Likes

Thanks.

7 Likes

I bumped you, you can post pics now. Welcome. @wandagoner aperantly can’t find the save button :smile:.

4 Likes

that @wandagoner gypsy was never anygood anyhow

4 Likes

I tried eliminitating theoverspeeding issue by adding a constant factor, didn’t help.
Sometimes the board slows down to 0.9 of the current rpm, so the code works.

Sometimes it still accelerates to above my current speed.

Are there any algorithms involved in calculating the current rpm that may somehow break the reading of mc_interface_get_rpm()?

If so, I think I will just create my own Hall pin interrupt to test my own calculation of rpm…

2 Likes

I got another issue now, hope someone can help me.

I am measuring the Pressure Sensor (which just changes resistance) using the ADC on the vesc.

I have the adc pulled up by a 1K resistor and pulled down by the sensor, creating a voltage divider.

Recently, the ADC started to report 1,5v ± 0.1, no matter the sensor state.

Even if I only pull the adc up or down without the sensor it still reports 1.5v.

Is there any way to solve that? Any setting I accidentally switched in VESC?

2 Likes

@NuRxG

I don’t know of any such setting, i have heard of people frying ADC pins, especially on v4 vescs. Try using ADC2? Its also not a big deal to reset all your settings and start over.

I had a few glitches with my VESC, trying to sort everything out.

Currently, the VESC tool is showing me a Duty cycle of around 4%, although the motor is not moving.

I exptected the duty cycle to be 0 when the motor is neither powered nor moving by itself.

Is there any fix to that?

1 Like

Alright, turns out the Duty cycle jumps from 4 to 60-80% depending on the input voltage on the ADC pins while the wheel is standing still.

I really don’t know what is going on. Anyone familiar with those symptoms?

1 Like