Public chat - talk about everything with everyone

I don’t think this is a solvable problem right now, even with outright banning all ownership. There are wayyyy to many guns in circulation. There has to be some sort of mindset change first, which must be propagated by media. Unfortunately weapon lobbies prevent such things.

Guns per se aren’t the problem, as owning many does not automatically lead to problems, as shown by Canada or Finland f.e.

That being said, the percentage of truth about gun blazing US citizens stereotypes is a lot higher than similar stereotypes about other countries, or basement skeletons for that matter. :smiley:

Forgive me if some things I say are not true, but making sense of US domestic politics from the outside is quite the endeavor. :smiley:

In regards to training, having US police officers go on to the streets after a 21 weeks training is laughable at best. 150 weeks should be the minimum for even basic duties.

5 Likes

Lol good luck getting any American to agree to that, that’s basically against their entire culture of “being the best” and “might makes right”

2 Likes

Bigot

2 Likes

may as well not even try then, right? :upside_down_face:

c’mon man, there are plenty of americans who want shit to change, no point lumping us all into the “over my dead body” crowd

1 Like

Then what would we 'mericans buy if we nuked everything? That is one stereotype I will accept for the US, consumerism first

2 Likes

How would you go about this? Your representatory systems are very much designed to prevent the small man for meddling in state affairs (not that other countries are better in that regard), gerrymandering comes to mind. I wish you guys all the best, but I foresee a dark future.

I would be honestly extremely surprised if you guys (or some of you) manage the 180.

That being said, if you want to move, I’ll help you. :smiley:

2 Likes

I was visiting the US in 2016 for a month, shortly before the Donald was elected. Very enjoyable vacation for sure. It’s truly sad to see it going downhill so fast in just 6 years.

1 Like

I never said it was going to be easy, but leaning back and accepting the problems isn’t really the best course of action. For one, over the last few years, we’ve seen a serious progressive rise with more young people finally getting involved in politics. An assault weapons ban used to be a pipe dream, but now it’s a real possibility. Improving and implementing universal background checks is a good first step. The majority of mass shootings in the US are performed by people who legally purchased their firearms. And oftentimes there are many red flags that should have prevented those individuals from owning firearms.

I’m not a politician, but I guess my point is that we shouldn’t just give up because of the cultural obsession with guns.

2 Likes

I very much agree with you, I just don’t see it. Yet. Maybe it looks different from the inside. Thats being said, I still think that banning weapons won’t solve anything, if the mindset in many people stays the same.

Thats just my opinion though, maybe it works, who am I to judge.

Honestly this is the (very unfortunate) reason I do and will continue to support gun ownership. This is the reason the 2nd amendment of the Bill of Rights exists, for fear that someday our government will become so corrupt and intolerable that violence become necessary in order to remove a tyrannical government. I do not think the US is there yet and I sincerely hope that things can be fixed through the democratic process.

1 Like

Dudes… this is getting very political.

4 Likes

Hasn’t Biden said in a recent talk that you’d need an F-15 to fight a country? I don’t want to make fun of you, but a several hundred years old law, from when people still fought with muzzle loading muskets, will help you in a case where a soldier won’t even have to be present to kill you.

1 Like

Its the “talk about everything thread” isn’t it?

1 Like

Its in the site rules dude.

6 Likes

Political conversations generally end up degrading very quickly. There’s good reason that rule is in place.

8 Likes

Ah my bad. I thought that was just in a sense of “Advertisements for my specific political pov”. Imo we managed to stay pretty objective so far.

2 Likes

Not from inside a country. Take a look at Ukraine with civilians fighting back with molotov cocktails. As a general rule most governments are going to exercise some restraint when fighting on its own soil among a mixture of civilians and combatants. Carpet bombing is generally out. Drone strikes depend on intel from people on the ground. And a bunch of lightly armed civilians took over the capital for a brief period of time :person_shrugging:

The hope is always that the military is not 100% corrupted as well.

3 Likes

Well I’d have a lot to say about the Ukraine but I think we have reached the limit on todays political input in this esk8 forum :smiley:

4 Likes

I love helmets.

6 Likes

This is the equivalent of someone visiting Spain and coming home and pronouncing it “Barthalonah”

You have established you are a master of American history and politics.

This next Gen is so morbid about everything in the world. Maybe I would be too if I grew up surrounded by opinionated world media thrown at me on blast on every social media platform 24/7.

Go skate, play hide and seek, make a real life friend, sit with a stranger and have a nice conversation. Stop focusing on world problems and focus on bettering yourself and your surrounding community… Those are things you can actually change and have an influence on.

Barking generalized opinions and statements to a small sect of 99% dudes in a weird corner of the internet is just silly :upside_down_face:

PS @BillGordon is a fucking pussy

9 Likes