PSA: Be super careful with TorqueBoards Direct Drives, almost got very injured again with them

No comment on anything above, except that I doubt “my homemade electric skateboard that does 30mph and built by hand myself, fell apart” will go far in even a US court.

Esk8 is a really dangerous sport, especially if you’re just learning the ropes in riding or building/maintenance. DIY comes with an even larger degree of assumed responsibility and risk.

It should follow sky diving protocols; check your gear before you ride & always pack your own parachute.

14 Likes

I might be a bit late and didn’t read all that was posted here, but my experience was:

Got drive but didn’t have battery yet
Installed drive on board, checked axles if they were tight - they weren’t loose but I didn’t want to break the loctite loose or anything so I didn’t whale on it
Went on a push ride
Right motor axle came loose within 2km

Since it did bend I had to order a new axle(got a complete hangar). When checking all axles I found some white residue on the axles, not sure if it was loctite, but at best it was applied amateurishly. It was a single point the size of a cent coing that appeared to be loctite, so it was no wonder that it would come loose.

One axle I could not remove, so they probably were loctited properly, the other three I secured maybe too good - time will tell if I ever have to replace an axle and how much of a hassle that’ll be.

6 Likes

Wild.

Maybe I’m an idiot but idk, sounds very dangerous that TB is shipping things like that. Either ship them securely/properly loctited or do not ship them assembled, like Boardnamics. If you’re just going to use a speck of loctite why even bother?

With my BN drive it’s obvious you have to assemble everything yourself, comes with a good guide that explains multiple ways to do things and the issues you might run into doing things one way or the other, and there are maintenance advisements - but that is the difference between a good vendor that cares about your safety and that of the community versus one that simply does not.

11 Likes

The powertrain is not built by the end-users hand. It’s built by TB who sells it as just bolt it on, no assembly or advisable maintenance required. Which is the only part that fell apart.

If it was something like a belt drive setup that I totally build myself, sure I agree with you, but disagree with your statement when it pertains to a “just bolt it on” setup.

Huge difference that a bunch of you can’t grasp :man_shrugging:

Just wait for little Billy down the street to talk his parents into buying him some parts (TB DD’s), and for the axle to fall off due TB being a cheap fuck with regards to loctite application and gets extremely injured.

And then TB tells Billy, LeArN tO fAlL bEtTeR

Assuming Billy’s parents have a lil bit of $, and all they know is that the motor fell off of a pre-assembled, bolt-on product, TB will get drowned in legal fee’s, whether or not he’s found to be at fault.

As a consumer, you have some level of expectation that a pre-assembled, just bolt-it-on product, will not just fall apart, particularly not due to the mfr cutting corners with safety - especially with, as you pointed out, a sport that is “really dangerous”

6 Likes

We’ll run a few tests and leave setups out for about 24 hrs to cure. Definitely, shouldn’t be happening but you should always be prepared to fall.

4 Likes

It would be a nice gesture to send an email to everyone that has ever bought your DD’s, trucks or anything involving an axle something like “check that your axles are secure and not loose, as we did not use enough loctite on many orders and people are reporting axle failures”

Similar to the way I receive emails from Hoyt regarding any possible issues with their remote firmwares, but then again they are proactive versus reactive.

2 Likes

Hoyt remotes have a firmware that can be changed and has problems?

I don’t know about issues, but yeah, the firmware can be updated. They released an update last year to show the remote battery level using the remote leds.

3 Likes

Noice, I did not know that!

yes, but doesn’t have problems

also this

just an example of good, proactive, beyond-the-cart customer service versus being told to learn to fall better

7 Likes

I have nothing but praise for the good people over at HoytSt. Love their wares.

5 Likes

Stop this thread or, at least, stop being so resentful. Everything is already said in this thread and only your resent remains here.

Cmon dude, you notified everyone, so everyone is warned now, your job as a part of the community is done. Now it looks like excessive hate to TB, when you have nothing new to say.

Thanks from community to you for your responsibility

3 Likes

In what way am I resentful?

Please learn your place, which is not itt.

Not that you are owed anything, but I let this die and it came back alive, so :man_shrugging:not my problem

Thanks for thinking your opinion matters

this was rude of me, my bad

1 Like

Just take it

2 Likes

Seems to me you’ve missed the entire point here.

I build my own shit. I’m fine. Again. You’ve missed the point.

2 Likes

In what way am I resentful though?

@kntzn please advise

I feel like you’re just that one guy that shows up to forums and such to not add anything constructive. Good job! :wink:

4 Likes

Precise

1 Like

Even as a DIYer myself, when I get a new product in my hands, it’s not always clear how to take apart that specific product. I’d call it an “informed guess.” Sure, I’ve taken apart my Elofty V1 DDs (after @BillGordon showed me how), but if I had the V2s or the TB DDs in my hands right now, I would only be guessing. I know how to replace the suspension on my Honda Element, but I’d need a guide to do it on a Corolla.

If a product is meant to be taken apart/maintained, then I think it would be amazing if vendors could provide a clear, step-by-step video on how to take apart said product. Often times pictures alone are not clear enough. Even professional car mechanics need to use repair manuals for cars they haven’t worked on before. I don’t think esk8 should be any different. This is a win-win. It shows the vendor wants to help prevent possible injuries, and it helps the user know what to do to help prevent injuries.

8 Likes

The point is this complete thread moved from “vendor issues” to the meme/dumpster fire thread.

I do not want to debate at all. Everyone will stay unconvinced and thats fine. We have lots of dudes here, who just bolt-on the shit purchased in a 1000$+ kit and it is fine too.

But there is a different breed of builders, who build their things screw by screw, wire by wire, bolt by bolt, like me and Brian, and lots of other people, and they are much more experienced in terms of maintenance their powerful toys.
So, at the beginning of the thread everyone expressed their opinion on loctiting the prebuilt part. What happened next? The battle between two breeds happened, and if not this, this problem would be all over in about 20 posts, not 200, wouldn’t it?

And the only reason, why this saga continues is @worldismine772 replies in the same old way “Hey TB, look at the vendor , he knows, what is customer service” even after a week and no adequate reply from @torqueboards.

But again, I have already said that the question is closed in my opinion, because safety thread now warns everyone, and all the rest is just hard feelings (or resents, idk) and not constructive at all.

1 Like