PSA: Be super careful with TorqueBoards Direct Drives, almost got very injured again with them

In what way am I resentful though?

@kntzn please advise

I feel like you’re just that one guy that shows up to forums and such to not add anything constructive. Good job! :wink:

4 Likes

Precise

1 Like

Even as a DIYer myself, when I get a new product in my hands, it’s not always clear how to take apart that specific product. I’d call it an “informed guess.” Sure, I’ve taken apart my Elofty V1 DDs (after @BillGordon showed me how), but if I had the V2s or the TB DDs in my hands right now, I would only be guessing. I know how to replace the suspension on my Honda Element, but I’d need a guide to do it on a Corolla.

If a product is meant to be taken apart/maintained, then I think it would be amazing if vendors could provide a clear, step-by-step video on how to take apart said product. Often times pictures alone are not clear enough. Even professional car mechanics need to use repair manuals for cars they haven’t worked on before. I don’t think esk8 should be any different. This is a win-win. It shows the vendor wants to help prevent possible injuries, and it helps the user know what to do to help prevent injuries.

8 Likes

The point is this complete thread moved from “vendor issues” to the meme/dumpster fire thread.

I do not want to debate at all. Everyone will stay unconvinced and thats fine. We have lots of dudes here, who just bolt-on the shit purchased in a 1000$+ kit and it is fine too.

But there is a different breed of builders, who build their things screw by screw, wire by wire, bolt by bolt, like me and Brian, and lots of other people, and they are much more experienced in terms of maintenance their powerful toys.
So, at the beginning of the thread everyone expressed their opinion on loctiting the prebuilt part. What happened next? The battle between two breeds happened, and if not this, this problem would be all over in about 20 posts, not 200, wouldn’t it?

And the only reason, why this saga continues is @worldismine772 replies in the same old way “Hey TB, look at the vendor , he knows, what is customer service” even after a week and no adequate reply from @torqueboards.

But again, I have already said that the question is closed in my opinion, because safety thread now warns everyone, and all the rest is just hard feelings (or resents, idk) and not constructive at all.

1 Like

it was never in vendor issues actually

and yes, could have been resolved very fast if it was given the correct response from the vendor and I wasn’t told to learn to fall better

also yes, I was pointing out other vendors who do adequately provide the correct documentation and are proactive about issues as an example that some vendors in the esk8 community are decent people

also, I only mentioned 2 vendors, so :man_shrugging:

not everyone goes screw x screw, particularly with pre-built/already assembled powertrains that are meant to just be put on, other screws, yes. I have a day job and family, so I don’t unnecessarily take things apart that aren’t really meant to be, but if I was given the correct maintenance advisements, we wouldn’t have this thread.

actually, technically I built this board wire by wire, screw by screw, soldered things, etc, I just didn’t assemble the powertrain, which was the only part that failed. sourced each part from mostly separate people/vendors. @First Build: Landyachtz 36” Evo, 75kv TB DD's, MakerX Go-Foc Retro, 10S4P [complete!] - it has a stormcore 60d now though and new 10s4p from SkyArt. it’s people like you that won’t enable this hobby/sport to grow exponentially, because of your elitist esk8 attitude.

1 Like

I actually said this twice for a reason. Fuck… Probably should’ve said it a 3rd time?

Uh yes. This is correct. Telling someone to fall better and that the average Joe shouldn’t buy is actually pathetic. Especially considering nowhere on the site does is state this.

I get it now…

3a7

2 Likes

Do not take it out of context, Mr.Constructive

Ok?

I think the other Artem is nicer.

2 Likes

So we need a guide for us noobs. Anyone find me a diagram of trucks that ever show unscrewable hangers theres nothing afaik? I think it’s a good design that they are replaceable but a serious lack of awareness, like how many people were aware of this feature from the beginning? It’s kind of weird you can’t find information on it if you wanted to. The little nub on the inside of the axle barely looks like something to use to tighten with, I mean now it all makes sense of course. Anyways I’ll post my build thread later and hopefully we can stop this from happening again.

1 Like

unscrewable hangers?

1 Like

9 Likes

Jason???

3 Likes

ohhhh the axles :laughing:

2 Likes

Chipping in my 2 cents for what it’s worth.

Unless instructed to, I wouldn’t have expected to check bolt tightness on these pre-assemble systems. Especially when brought from a community approved suppler. Also, for any noobs out there, how much force should be applied when checking tightness? Is it just a slight back pressure, or do you need to put your back into it?

Like the previous analogy to a car, here in the UK if you buy a new car it doesn’t need a road worthy test until after several years of use. Hence, I wouldn’t have checked for bolt tightness until the next time I was planing a full board inspection.

Also, I am shocked by the statement “learn to fall”. I am hoping that this was just someone getting frustrated and having a bad day. I get that it’s an important skill to learn, but it is not an appropriate response to a customer for a faulty product.

15 Likes

Yup. This. Tb. Bad.

5 Likes

With no through-axle the truck has no fatigue limit.

It would have the fatigue limit of the hanger holding the axle no?

2 Likes

You beat my record of having a customer’s set fail in less than 2 miles. Congrats.

7 Likes

9 Likes