[Prototyping] Modular Rugged Battery system for esk8

Yet to decide. Might opt for champagne glass to the testes as an alarm system, but have to see how that’ll integrate

3 Likes

I have always been impressed with the Bentley chauffeur program. Plus its pretty cool how they store the umbrella inside the door.
Maybe use hollow trucks to store the Champaign flutes in the heat pipe?

2 Likes

Well, interesting update

The copper braid I ordered is thicker than ancipated (approx 2.5mm Vs the 2mm I planned), this means it’s a really tight fit with the cells, whilst not being enough to cause a worrying amount of strain on the sidewalls.
Given that there’s nowhere else for the cells to move, and keeping in mind that the potting will help hold everything, I’m considering using this friction fit as my contact method between the cells and the braid
I would love to hear from our experienced battery builders here about the feasibility and safety of doing something like this. Please, let me know your thoughts

@hummieee since i know you tried this once

4 Likes

What about spot-welding the copper braid to the cells? Thought I saw that some time ago.

1 Like

Don’t think that’s ever been advised, but even then, at 2.5mm thick I think you would just weld the layers of the braid together, as opposed to ever making contact with the cell. Would love to be wrong though

5 Likes

Saw it here, don’t know how this would work for you. It would atleast be useful to keep it all in place I think.

6 Likes

Firstly, thank you for putting so much effort in that response, i appreciate it. Secondly, @Skyart whats your take on this since you have first hand experience?

4 Likes

A bit time consuming but effective, I used hot glue to keep the ends from fraying, but time will test this battery. So far so good!

2 Likes

How thick was your braid? and what welder?

2 Likes

I did it w copper sheet I shaped. Decided safer. Freaked w risk of a piece of the multi strand breaking and getting behind the shrink on the cell. But others have done with it. Wing. Forget his name on here

3 Likes

I think the braid is 1/16" I did it with the malectrics arduino spot welder

1 Like

Hm, interesting point. Although, i don’t see why that would be a risk here more than it would be with something like the @Winfly compression modules.
The blissfully ignorant guy in me would like to say that even that the potting compound and rigid casing would prevent strain and such an issue wouldnt occur. hm

1 Like

Yea just my worry and likely no one else.

1 Like

Mine as well, but so far it seems to work on other compressed batteries, so there is that.

1 Like

So that is just thermally conductive, but solid epoxy? I would be a bit concerned about potting cells that way as they always expand a bit. Tesla also potts their batteries in the more recent models at least, but they use some flexible silicone like compound.

1 Like

I just solder the tips of braid to prevent fraying

1 Like

I think it potts soft, but we’ll see. The hope is that it’s soft anyways

@Scepterr I’ve done the same, but need to practice with keeping it tight. The edges of my trial are still lose but the middle is dummy thicc

2 Likes

Fluxing the tips?

Didn’t, but now that you mention it, duh

2 Likes

Bottom- wrapped tight, flux, and solder.
Top-kapton tape. Thinking this might be the solution for keeping it thin and flexible but also in one piece

2 Likes