PROPEL All-Terrain Off-Road Electric Skateboards

since no one’s discussing anything in here… what’s the difference between 50e and 40T?

Capacity vs total power output. The 40t out out more juice w less overall capacity. Check out @Battery_Mooch stuff on reddit fb etc… He does a lot of really stellar work on various cells. 50e wouldn’t be my first choice but for 5p it should be fine. 50 amps continous and 75 amps in short bursts is enough power for most stuff imo.

3 Likes

What’s your opinion on the ESC? I saw in a video that it’s running a Flipsky, but no other info. I assume it’s a Flipsky 6.6, but there are even different versions of that. I have a friend with a BKB running a 6.6 and he said he gets cut outs at high speeds and he’s waiting for BKB to produce more Xeneth ESC’s. I tried to look up comparisons, but every thread on here on that topic is full of people saying the topic has been covered, and links to another thread saying the topic’s already been covered lol.

3 Likes

ESC is Flipsky FSESC4.20Plus, FW5.2.
So far it’s working fine.

2 Likes

The gear ratio is 72:14 and there is torque. It goes well with this board.
I recommend installing metr, but the warranty is void. There was a seal on the UART and I peeled it off.

2 Likes

I would be wary of any Vesc4 based esc running as 12s but especially a Flipsky. The only esc based on the earlier vedder firmware that was reliable at 12s was the Unity and now the Xenith imo. I run that same esc on a 10s build and it’s been fine at conservative settings.

Surprised to hear that they would use so many other premium parts and then select a speed controller that is insufficient to handle their battery but I guess you have to save money somewhere to get your product to market at a competitive price :man_shrugging:

@LEE do you have the pro model?

2 Likes

could you also post more pix of the insides? I’d like to see the layout and how everything fits.

This is the only image I can publish right now. Removing the deck is a hassle.
The remote control antenna is very important, and without it the communication will be very poor.
Running FSESC 4.20 Plus in 12s is a little scary, but I will continue to ride it as a test.
I’ve heard that this ESC is fine in 10s and I’ve used it on two DIY boards in the past.
With a modest setting of 10s, these two boards are still fine after more than a year.

4 Likes

The first image is the factory setting, and the second image is the modified setting.
Depending on the rider’s taste and weight, 40A is enough acceleration for me.
The brakes are also a little too strong at -53A. It’s too strong and the tires lock.
If you do not change the VESC value, it is recommended to ride in M ​​mode of the remote.

3 Likes

My OCD hates that .08 lol

3 Likes

Not true, there are plenty of 4.12 based hardware vescs that run 12s just fine

This specific one maybe less reliable but with a heatsink it helps a lot

1 Like

What else have u run at 12s out of curiosity?

Torqueboards 4.12’s ~500 miles Upgraded to a dual esc, swapped into a friends board on 10s now
MakerX GoFoc Retro ~300 miles Swapped to DV6 because it couldn’t take the current load
Enertion 1.6 Focboxes ~800 miles Still in that board

I’ve not owned a flipsky esc, but one build for a friend has aliexpress flipsky 4.12 reference editions running on 10s (never been a problem obviously) but that’s the only Flipsky esc experience I have

I also have a Unity at 12s right now but I’ll probably change that out to a Spintend or MakerX soon

All of those were at 190kv too but none of my motors could max out at over 60kerpm, just due to fluctuations in kv ratings

I feel like Propel could have maybe made a better esc choice but hey at least they aren’t supporting jason

4 Likes

I read a lot about the TB 4.12 failing at 12s. Maybe it’s similar to the silicone littery you get with processors? Interesting stuff nonetheless. I have a pair I was considering getting rid of… I may reconsider.

Maybe some drvs are better than others, it also depends on how you ride and all that too

I’m not sure if I would run them on 12s with how I ride nowadays but 10s is perfectly fine as far as I know

Alot of old TB 4.12 popping were due to fw. I popped 4 before ackmanic. Once on Ackmanic zero problems. 12s FOC of course.

Flipsky quality is really meh though. I had a dual 6.6 fail on me randomly. Just stopped working one day. Not even mid ride. I’m waiting for mechanical kit and slap an xenith and a puck on it

3 Likes

Good to know :call_me_hand:

good for OEM brands that can bulk order and gamble on qc.

1 Like

Out of interest what range did it perform well?

I have one sitting in a low amp build I’ve yet to finish.

If I were to rate it, I would say max of 25-30 batt amps per side and maybe 55 motor amps a side\

In my DV6 review, you can see the metr log from when I had it on my build with higher settings

To be fair I didn’t have a ton of problems when I was on urethane and riding chill, any more than that or pneumatic tires and you’re overheating haha

1 Like