Project Broken Mirror; I’ve spent too much on this board lmao

Aight my kats n kittens

idk if i like got 7 years of bad luck or something but a massive string of bad luck whiffed over me this year. here’s a recap!

here’s my board last I put new parts on it (the Picket Rocket motors, fully disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled gear drives)

Mid January:
my pucc pot has kicked the bucket! so that needed replacing, not a shabby start

23 March:
i hit a truck, bent the kingpins that I just installed in Late Dec

25 March
motor bearing explodes in my hoyt pocket rocket motors, ~3 months old
rekt one of my hubby hubs too

I fully clean my gear drives and service them best I can

board is now 2wd, and the PR motors struggle oodles more, causing them to reach 110°C with mild 20 mph riding within 2 miles

17 April:
I smack a curb, further bending my kingpins

April-May:
i get a punctured tube, and i was lazy, so I ran a flat tire for about 2 months

Come home late May

fully disassemble the board, cleaaaned and reserviced the gear drives again. bearings are dying, and one is seized to the case
one gear drive is completely stuck to the axle of the truck (we’ll get back to that later). that is left alone
But! it’s new motors, and rebuild time

that same day:
vesc bug is found (best explanation, no person standing on board, give it enough throttle to start losing traction, keep bumping throttle, but if you try and brake from being on the throttle immediately before, no coasting, it thinks it’s forward throttle, so it keeps going forward)
bent my kingpins, and broke my esc box

update to 6.2 to hopefully remove the bug

June 15:
i fix my kingpins’ finally!

June 20:
Board thinks it’s a pinball at an intersection. full yhrottle incontrolled for 20-30 seconds. screams across, hits curb, hits wall/fence, hits truck, yeets back to me, ban gets in way, it hits van, then stops (no one hurt, no damages apparently). board kingpins: bent. both esc boxes: broken.

no matter, i can use my old board while i wait for new parts to arrive!

June 24, old board:
I go on ride
go over water hole cover thing, tiny. 5-10mph. it moves and lifts, and i yeet. thought my 3 links bent. turns out it’s ok!
jk, i stripped one of the hole threads for the screw that holds the link to the baseplate. even sadder! i was video recording but my phone does this thing where if you bump it, it shuts off and won’t turn on unless you plug it in, give it a spank, then hold the power button, no other way. the video of me eating it was corrupt.

both boards sit a little while

July 3:
alright! new parts arrive, time to fix my board!
jk again. turns out that when it pinballed, i also broke my baseplate! oh, also, as it turns out i’ve also been riding my board with 2 out of 4 motor pinions shifting back n forth, retaining compound gave out (prepinball, a clicky sound was noted shortly after new lotor installation, thought it was the set screws that hold the cans to the motor shaft, which, arrived from factory without any loctite :grinning:, all were loost, with one already gone)
the full damage

and that brings us to the present, with new baseplates slated tk be shipped out this coming week. I’m almost completely rebuilding my board , again :joy:
more to cum

estimated cost from first iteration summer of ‘21, not counting sales of old parts, probably forgetting some bits, to this message
$11,595:

estimated cost of ownership of 2023 thus far:
$2100

15 Likes

ok now onto the tasty bits

i’v never cleaned out my gear drives so hard before, i spent at least 10 hours doing em all up
got fresh titanium screws (smooches @frame !), #weightreduction
they are completely free of old grease, all bearings have been replaced as well, and 2 gear drives have been replaced with a brand new pair
motors are also rewrapped, hopefully they’re ok, they dont seem to have much visible damage so far apart from cosmetic scratches on the can

orders rn,
Baseplate is going to be on the way (double smooches @BigBen , i think this is like, the 3rd package from you this year lmao)
esc boxes still need printing, new screws and threaded inserts are needed
got a set of 130 p28a cells arriving later this week assss well
(so add ~$500 to the running cost :joy:)
new pelican case is planned for order, new battery materials and straps is halfway done, +~$200)
[edit]
OMG I FORGOT ABOUT BUSHINGS, I GOT NEW ONES, hopefully will be enough to experiment with different combos
2 pairs 88A WFB canon
1 pair 83A WFB canon
2 pairs 88A WFB magnum
1 Pair 83A WFB magnum
+$70

annual cost as of this post:
~ $2870

13 Likes

#weightreduction

1 Like

this was a wild ride, when esk8s break they never go out easy :smiling_face_with_tear:

what happened to the other 2?

2 Likes

basically ded, unusable
took all the less worn parts and combined em to make “new” gear drives, to be used along side rhe new new drives

the rest is all pretty bad shape, except the gears, whcih have ok teeth wear

1 Like

@poastoast, dude that was a brutal read
:man_facepalming:

What’s total estimated weight with battery?
What’s plan for battery config?

2 Likes

can’t blue balls me like that, send them carnage pics :))

1 Like

oh glad you mention!

so far, i’ve managed to get my board to be close to 16kg before battery

I’m gonna keep my battery a surprise until i make it, but! i will say they’ll still be made of my usual modules that are travel safe n all that jazz

last i had it, i did carried up to 18s4?p p42a which ran out to around 5.5kg added

6 Likes

^you can guess which of the 4 frkm the other pic this one is :joy:

they’re not great not terrible

2 Likes

Holy carnage, batman.

And to think I get pissed when I wear down my channel truck bushings…

1 Like

not the worst i’ve seen but that bearing looks crunchy

1 Like

ye, def not bad!

just the combo of parts that are bad bad make it impossible to combune the rest into a usable drive :sweat_smile:

biggest one being one case got that bearing stuck on, and the other casing has the 4 angle screws sheared, and are all loctited in (only red, but it’s reallll tight)
seals could be easily replaced, gears are totally fine at least, so i cooould get em back in mostly working order

1 Like

Be honest here… are you worried that this plague of gear failures will continue until you have straight cuts again?

All I can say is… Fuck man

5 Likes

yeeeep

i am yearning for them straight cuts
soon ™
(and this didn’t cover the bad luck i’ve been having with my other hobby too! it is proportionally jusg as bad, worst part being me walking under a big event tent in the morn poast rainy night, and as i was passing the edge, wind blew the canopy, causing a bloop of water to splash me, and only me, and my radio

this was on the first day of a big race and my radio fried

i really goa have like extra copies so i could let you try my board next time i visit :joy:

Dang dude that was painful.:disappointed_relieved:. Couple questions…
1: What were the symptoms of the bad pot?
2: Are you just using retaining compound on the motor pinion?

1 - at center, it’d feel like i have 0% deadband, even if i set to 15% (you could hear the motors goin in n out while it sat

2 - clean shaft and bore + retaining + key + thrust bearings +that cleaner and primer stuff, tho i rode it within, 5? hours of it setting, so i blame that + the primer (which apparently weakens the maximum strength of the 648 by some margin?)

1 Like

Did you remember to battle-harden your OSRR remote? :laughing:

1 Like

You are probably the only one who understands his struggle lol

From me to @poastoast

W.t.f. lol how u do dis

1 Like