Problem with Slick Revolution/iWonder Cloud Wheels (SERIOUS)

Also, I’m not defending @hide on every issue. One thing that @Hide has never responded to fully is the surface imperfections on the core. These imperfections seem to be cast into the mold and they create projections in the clear plastic that resemble cracks and fractures.

If those imperfections were not there, @rafaelinmissouri would not have brought out the microscope, and alcohol. And myself and others would not have been encouraging him to start polishing with toothpaste and a dremel.

The surface imperfections and projections make people nervous. I think if those could be polished out of the mold then customers might be more likely to trust the product after a bit less than two years on the market.

3 Likes

I’m going to say this again.
Saying my wheel cracked because of 2 splashes of alcohol… Or half a gram of toothpaste… Or having been touched by a Dremel is pure and utter bullshit.

The shit broke because the shit is weak.

The only thing that really stands out is that I am heavier than most riders out there.

Iwonder is not interested in sending me another set to test and I am putting this little ugly chapter of my esk8 life behind me.

I just hope no one else gets hurt because of these.

17 Likes

My wheels were never used, nor cleaned, nor toothbrushed and had those cracks. Everything we got from iWonder were lame excuses and fingerpointing to everyone else but them. I really hoped they would solve it somehow for everyone but then theres reality :smiley:

3 Likes

This was your experience with the new discovery versions?

Did yours arrive with bearings in place?

I have to point out, possibly, yes. Watch this video. https://youtu.be/cU9Ty0L0g7E The alcohol brittles the material so suddenly and drastically you’d be surprised how fast the reaction is. One single alcohol wipe is enough. Alcohol is not something found in the environment. You’re never going to splash through an isopropyl puddle. It is quite an aggressive solvent to the right materials…

2 Likes

We really need to put this myth/truth to rest. That vid is acrylic. Are the cores acrylic? Fuck i hope not.

Have we determined what material th new core is? Or even what the old core was? All plastics/euraThanes have different properties and dififfernt combos of each to meet certain needs and traits. Im not convinced @rafaelinmissouri treatment/handling did anything, but I’m open to the idea of maybe. But unless we can know what material for sure what the core is, this is just hearsay.

4 Likes

No, the normal ones, but why are the discovery any better? Apart from the thicker profile?
@Mmart1990 no, they came with separate bearings in a bag.

The new core material is policarbonate

3 Likes

It’s PC/ABS. Not as instant as acrylic but still reacts to alcohol. Polycarbonate may be surface treated to add chemical resistance but I doubt these are. Even if they were the polishing may have removed it. There’s many research done on this including medical where Iso is used frequently. The jist is that PC and other thermoplastics will absorb these solvents and create weak areas and internal stress from swelling. Not saying it’s the cause, but it can’t be ruled out either as pc exposure to iso is a failure problem in other industries too…

In other recommendations, many helmets including motorcycle also use polycarbonate as the outer shell. Would not recommend wiping down your helmets with iso unless it is painted, even so.

2 Likes

Better not ride on the road where oils/grease/coolant/mud/grime/solvents live, it might get on our wheels.

At the end of the day it’s (again) the wrong material if something as benign as iso damages it. If you’re a little fella maybe these wheels will be ok if you’re not don’t.

The company is clearly deflecting issues and the argument comes down to the rationale of If it doesn’t happen to me It’s not a problem, when clearly it is for others

2 Likes

Don’t forget the ingredient list of @rafaelinmissouri 's toothpaste and the fact that the tootpaste may have been left on the wheel for more than a day.

Like @BluPenguin says, this is not proof that the core cracked due to chemical exposure but we can’t rule out chemical exposure as a potential or likely cause of the crack.

3 Likes

Iso also damages TPU, it is a thermoplastic like polycarbonate is… You would be wrong to think iso is “benign”. There is a reason why it is listed as a solvent and it kills everything it touches. The long organic chains dissolves a lot of things. Why else would it be good at sanitizing? Chemicals you find on the road will rarely be as volatile as iso, it would evaporate.

3 Likes

So id really just like to clarify. Dont take this as being hostile.

So i searched the thread, and saw the reference to PC/ABS early on but that was made by the nefarious jeff wu (joke) who also said in the same post that abecs were nylon/g25. Which was later corrected by illan as False and is TPU…

So did i wonder say its pc/abs?

Yes. This was stated by iWonder themselves, not speculation. The exact blend is unknown but it was mentioned that Dupont is the new pellet supplier.

1 Like

Alrighty then. Good to know going forward. Thanks.
Now im off to hit the books. On pc/abs. Lol

Took some macro shots (on Sony a7R II) of my Discovery wheels:

Apologies for 2 and 4 not having quite as sharp focus.

Mine have the same lines as @rafaelinmissouri’s did, but I can tell that they are scratches/surface imperfections. They do not go all the way through.

I can take more extreme close-ups if people are interested, but I figured I’d just do the whole core for now.

I will ride them in a couple days once the rain lets up. And if anyone can fuck these bad boys up, it’s 6’7" 250lb me.

10 Likes

Oh damn. Big boi. Raf has a challenger.

1 Like

6 Likes

Two hours ago, finished tonight’s road test, I only cleaned the wheels with water. The whole journey was 50km, the top speed was 45km / h, and my weight is 90kg. I forgot to open the relive app this time, and next time I will open the relive app
During the road test tonight, I drove a stone road, asphalt road, a cracked brick road, skating down 2 steps, skating up 1 step, etc.

3 Likes